Another insurance question!!

babs135

The only way it can be mandatory is if your cruise provider mandates it in their contract.  They'd then have to enforce that by checking your policy, including at embarkation to ensure that it was still in force.  I've never heard of that happening.

Princess and P&O have it in their contract  £2m .   Ambassador -cant see in the contract but they say they want to see a copy at embarkation though when we went last year I dont think they checked. They were a bit put out  everyone just turned up ignoring the plea that they adhere

to the given times and also wanted something filled in and signed that we  had already filled in 

on line. This was at Liverpool so no real terminal.

P&O

"INSURANCE

32. It is a condition of the Contract that every Guest must have adequate and appropriate insurance."

Princess

INSURANCE

1. It is a condition of the Contract that every Passenger must have adequate and appropriate insurance. This must include cover for travel, cancellation and curtailment and full and valid medical cover for pre-existing medical conditions worldwide, or as a minimum, in the countries that the Passenger is due to visit and which must remain in force for the entire duration of the Package.  The insurance policy(ies) must, as a minimum, include medical and repatriation coverage for not less than £2 million . . . . . . . 

None of the US or Italian lines that we've sailed.

P&O and Marella for sure never been asked to show it on P&O, been asked once on Marella but they only glanced at it.

That said, I think we all agree it makes a lot of sense

JB 🙂

The only time we experienced that was MSC during covid, you have to have insurance that specifically included covid cover, and they checked carefully.
Sailed many times since without this requirement.

I cruise with Oceania. To the best of my recollection, the company does not contractually require customers to have insurance. I cannot recall ever being asked to declare that we have a policy on the online check-in and, certainly, have never needed to produce the policy. It's obviously a sensible thing to have