NCL Free at Sea beverage package - worth it if only one person drinks?

Posted (edited)

New to NCL and trying to figure out the policies and math, and appreciate any advice.

Just one in our party drinks. I was told that we'd have to do the gratuities for Free at Sea beverage package for both adults, even though just one drinks. 7 day cruise but we will be off the ship for port times. It would be over $300 in gratuities.

How much is a regularly-priced drink on the ship? And in Alaska ports? 

Edited by Ginger2016

Also take into account that without the package the non-drinker would have to pay for sodas, juices and mocktails.  They would be included in the FAS package. 

the basic rule of thumb is that if someone drinks 2 alcoholic drinks a day they’re better off taking the package.  Sodas, juices and mocktails are less, so the math is different.  Estimate how many alcoholic drinks and virgin drinks you’ll both be drinking to see if it’s worth it to take the package or pay by the drink.

• Like 1

My husband doesn't drink, and I'll a drink here or there, so honestly, I think it'll depend on your cruise - and how many sea days you'll have.

We did a 15 night Panama Canal cruise last year with 9 sea days and 6 port days and had the free at sea, so obviously I had a few drinks on sea days (husband had Heineken zero, and various mocktails), and at night on port days we would have one or two beverages. We have a 9 day western med cruise next year with all port days - so we've actually declined the free at sea for that cruise ($500 off the cost of the cruise).

We'll be ordering a water package (and bringing water enhancers), and if we do have a mocktail/cocktail at night, it'll be less than what we saved not having the package.