LIVE (almost) from QM2 Transatlantic June 23 to June 29

Joe33472

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from Joe33472 ! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Joe33472 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Four days to go until our TA on the QM2 from Southampton to NYC.  We're in London now and have a car service picking us up at 10:00 a.m. on Sunday to take us to Southampton.  This crossing is our first cruise with Cunard and only our second cruise in about 30 years.    Our most recent cruise was a TA on Royal Caribbean from 4/21 to 5/5 from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome.  We've been traveling around Europe since 5/5, so we're losing steam.  We had a great time on our TA over to Europe and hoping for a great sailing back on Cunard.  Despite our exhaustion, we sat at my laptop yesterday and filled up our calendar until Sunday. 🤷‍♂️ 

We've booked a Q5 as I thought we should pamper ourselves on the journey back, I originally booked a PG.   On Royal we had a junior suite and really enjoyed the suite dining for dinners, so we're hoping to have a great experience on the QM2.    I plan to live post as we go along and share our impressions as Cunard newbies and cruising newbies.   There have been a couple of great reviews lately by @Jack E Dawson and @*Miss G* on their recent TAs which has been wonderful to read.

Beautiful day in London today.  We had a way over priced lunch in Covent Garden, went to Buckingham Palace, and spent some time at Piccadilly Circus.  Can't wait for Sunday and embarkation!!!

IMG_3708.thumb.JPEG.c621cc206387b115b9b6b93fedb76408.JPEG

IMG_3712.thumb.JPEG.8cbd56cbaf83ac8bc3349906f3102807.JPEG

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to following along with your live report @Joe33472 Enjoy that lovely London weather! We are 65 days out from our first QM2 sailing and the reviews/reports are fueling our excitement. Wishing you safe travel to Southampton!

• Like 5

Happy to hear you are sailing on the QM2.  We will join the cruise on Saturday, June 29 for the Halifax - Boston segment.

Eager to read your posts.

Enjoy.

image.thumb.png.a8bd9bb6a20674da09271782d67d31ee.png

• Like 4

Yippeee!  Another QM2 report!  I will definitely be following along as you sail across the seas.  I hope you have a lovely journey and enjoy the ship just as much as I did.  She is my new favourite ship!!

• Like 5

Hope you have a great sailing too!   Halifax to Boston sounds great.  

25 minutes ago, olegna said:

Happy to hear you are sailing on the QM2.  We will join the cruise on Saturday, June 29 for the Halifax - Boston segment.

Eager to read your posts.

Enjoy.

@*Miss G* I've really enjoyed your review and it's reassuring that you really enjoyed the QM2 and that it's your new favorite.   We can't wait until Sunday.    

4 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Yippeee!  Another QM2 report!  I will definitely be following along as you sail across the seas.  I hope you have a lovely journey and enjoy the ship just as much as I did.  She is my new favourite ship!!

• Like 3

My wife and I will be joining you on this crossing:) 

We arrived in Berlin last Sunday and slowly making our way across Europe towards London (then our friends will be taking us to Southampton on the 23rd. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Joe33472 said:

Hope you have a great sailing too!   Halifax to Boston sounds great.  

@*Miss G* I've really enjoyed your review and it's reassuring that you really enjoyed the QM2 and that it's your new favorite.   We can't wait until Sunday.    

Sorry you had a costly lunch in Cov GDN...My favs there in the area, are Joe Allen's (just off the Strand) and Rules just up from there on Maiden Lane, Rules is London's oldest eatery and very famous.
If you can bag any last minute seats (returns) for the Ballet at The Royal Opera House (Swan Lake tonight, or Rhapsody FRI & SAT)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, rog747 said:

Sorry you had a costly lunch in Cov GDN...My favs there in the area, are Joe Allen's (just off the Strand) and Rules just up from there on Maiden Lane, Rules is London's oldest eatery and very famous.
If you can bag any last minute seats (returns) for the Ballet at The Royal Opera House (Swan Lake tonight, or Rhapsody FRI & SAT)

Thanks for the restaurant recommendations.  We'll definitely look into those.

The lunch was very good in terms of food (service was a little spotty), but more than we would normally spend for lunch at about $200 for the two of us and we didn't have steak or anything with pricey ingredients.  I had a glass of $12 wine, but no other alcohol. 

We have a show in the west end tonight, but will look into ballet.  Thanks again for those restaurant recommendations!  We were wondering where we would eat today.  

Edited by Joe33472
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, NE John said:

@Joe33472  while in London, go to Skygarden. It’s free, just make an online reservation. Great views from the top and grab a drink. 
Have a great trip. 

Thanks John!  We'll definitely look into this place.  Looks very cool! 

• Like 2

Up early this morning for our embarkation day on the QM2 and we're so excited.   This was our luggage set up on 4/21 when we left for Europe. 

2024-04-2010_34_46.thumb.jpg.61b635c18af8af4f34dad2744cc90e59.jpg

We've picked up these along the way.  Not too bad all things considered (the recycle bag was empty when we left)....

2024-06-2306_13_14.thumb.jpg.0293e448270586dc28e3351759c84315.jpg

In full disclosure, we sent 5 packages back to the US.  The first package was stuff we brought with us and shouldn't have packed, but the last 4 packages were things we picked up along the way.  We used DHL and all 5 packages arrived in the US in 2 or 3 business days.   We probably could have done this less expensive using the Italian Mail service and USPS, but I don't find either service too reliable.  It was so worth the cost not carrying our "finds" around Europe.  It was way easier than guidebooks or websites described (even in Italy).

2024-05-0818_39_13.thumb.jpg.51b5d6d68df198d58a4ec7c7d5685287.jpg

Our car service is picking us up at 10:30 a.m. from our accommodations in Covent Garden.   We absolutely love this area of London and have had a great time.  Based on reviews on CC, we booked with Blackberrycars.  I think we're going to be at the cruise terminal too early, but we have no where else to go with all our luggage. 

image.png.f0032f3f2a81ad5ca1bbfb74640202b2.png

Looks like the QM2 has arrived at berth 38/39.  

image.png.07e8e39dd151639830d8ae67b94d9d4f.png

Got to get myself together to go out to take some last minute pictures for my Dad.   Told him how cute Covent Garden is, but haven't sent him a single picture....

Next stop, the cruise terminal....

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I too am boarding this afternoon but as a Cunard newbie, I have a boarding time of 3.45pm - ugh! 

So no lunch on board for me, shame, that's what I would usually expect to have.

Also, we're at QEII terminal - QA has the Mayflower - so I've had to book a taxi (hope it turns up on time) - I was planning to walk to the Mayflower but QEII is a bit too far even though I am, as always, travelling with hand luggage only.

Sorry OP for butting in, I hope you have a great embarkation day today and a great cruise!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

I too am boarding this afternoon but as a Cunard newbie, I have a boarding time of 3.45pm - ugh! 

So no lunch on board for me, shame, that's what I would usually expect to have.

Also, we're at QEII terminal - QA has the Mayflower - so I've had to book a taxi (hope it turns up on time) - I was planning to walk to the Mayflower but QEII is a bit too far even though I am, as always, travelling with hand luggage only.

Sorry OP for butting in, I hope you have a great embarkation day today and a great cruise!

Our first time on Cunard too, so super excited.    Hope you have a great embarkation day too!   Like you, we only have hand luggage, so our plan is to handle our own luggage onto the ship.      

• Like 3

After a day of a digital holiday, arrived in Ketchican. Three other ships but not too crazy. 
First impressions of QG experience - caring and kind. The ratio of staff to passenger makes a huge difference. They had a nice birthday cake for me last night and we feel wrapped very well in the QG care. One word - lovely. 

• Like 7

Boarding was a breeze!   Organized chaos is probably how I could best describe the process.   Glad we are in a suite, as that seemed to speed up the process.  We didn't have to sit in any waiting room or queue, so we were super happy.  The only hiccup we encountered is that the check in staff said that one of our bags was too large for the scanners and we had to check the bag.   It's probably because the expansion zipper was out and the bag was really thick.  For some strange reason, all hand luggage was being put in plastic buckets to go through the x-ray machines.  Kind of bizarre.  I still think that the luggage would have fit, even with the plastic bin, but I wasn't going to argue with them. 

We were in the cabin at about 1:00 p.m. and met our butler. Really impressed with the size of our stateroom and the overall condition of the ship.  I was a little surprised that during the dry dock last year that they didn't paint this rust on the deck.  There is more rust on other parts of the deck.   Not really a big deal, just surprising that they didn't take care of this.  Perhaps the rust on the sheltered balcony cabins was worse and they dealt with that first.   

IMG_3926.thumb.JPEG.e73e6c07000691d416298f0c6f4245cf.JPEG

We had lunch in Queens Grill at 1:30 and was happy with the selection.  Here is the lunch and dinner menu for today.

6.23.24 Queens Grill Menus.pdf

We both started with the pumpkin soup.  It was just okay.  Warm, but kind of watered down and tasteless.  

IMG_3929.thumb.JPEG.d1d0ffb1c30ca712ee9e7a70f333b9fa.JPEG

We shared this goat cheese appetizer, which we really enjoyed.  But is was super small. 

IMG_3930.thumb.JPEG.e03bbd21b1a80e12ed63eba64f8e743f.JPEG

For our lunch entree, we had quesadillas and Italian style sausage and pappardelle, with the former being better than the later.   Was not offered any Parmesan cheese for my pasta and it was served less than warm.  

IMG_3932.thumb.JPEG.5fdad8c72d15172b4cc8b53aa3efddbf.JPEG

IMG_3931.thumb.JPEG.c9d6f0e5c98275d3d946e4c8839bdedf.JPEG

For dessert, we had lemon meringue pie and the crumble.  Both were okay.   My SO didn't finish her lemon meringue and she usually finishes her desserts (sweet tooth), so that was surprising. 

IMG_3939.thumb.JPEG.c20e56aa15fef1cf3076ad30571dcc5b.JPEG

IMG_3938.thumb.JPEG.a71e9068ff9d0c2dc0ecab4a31c78fab.JPEG

Service was slow and we sat there a long time with empty plates and were clearly done between courses, so that was a little surprising.   Hoping for a better experience at dinner tonight.    An interesting thing is that we walked through the buffet on our way to our muster station and saw the desserts we just had on the buffet.   And the soup too!  So, we were basically served buffet food for lunch.   Not sure about the pasta and quesadilla, because we didn't go around the entire buffet. 

On a positive note, the cappuccinos we had after lunch at Sir Samuel's were delightful and exactly what we needed to a perk up.

IMG_3940.thumb.JPEG.3cd7edc63def1b6912853afc583ddb52.JPEG

On another positive note, the staff has been very helpful and delightful.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

Boarding was a breeze!   Organized chaos is probably how I could best describe the process.   Glad we are in a suite, as that seemed to speed up the process.  We didn't have to sit in any waiting room or queue, so we were super happy.  The only hiccup we encountered is that the check in staff said that one of our bags was too large for the scanners and we had to check the bag.   It's probably because the expansion zipper was out and the bag was really thick.  For some strange reason, all hand luggage was being put in plastic buckets to go through the x-ray machines.  Kind of bizarre.  I still think that the luggage would have fit, even with the plastic bin, but I wasn't going to argue with them. 

We were in the cabin at about 1:00 p.m. and met our butler. Really impressed with the size of our stateroom and the overall condition of the ship.  I was a little surprised that during the dry dock last year that they didn't paint this rust on the deck.  There is more rust on other parts of the deck.   Not really a big deal, just surprising that they didn't take care of this.  Perhaps the rust on the sheltered balcony cabins was worse and they dealt with that first.   

We had lunch in Queens Grill at 1:30 and was happy with the selection.  Here is the lunch and dinner menu for today.

6.23.24 Queens Grill Menus.pdf 4.47 MB · 0 downloads

We both started with the pumpkin soup.  It was just okay.  Warm, but kind of watered down and tasteless.  

We shared this goat cheese appetizer, which we really enjoyed.  But is was super small. 

For our lunch entree, we had quesadillas and Italian style sausage and pappardelle, with the former being better than the later.   Was not offered any Parmesan cheese for my pasta and it was served less than warm.  

For dessert, we had lemon meringue pie and the crumble.  Both were okay.   My SO didn't finish her lemon meringue and she usually finishes her desserts (sweet tooth), so that was surprising. 

Service was slow and we sat there a long time with empty plates and were clearly done between courses, so that was a little surprising.   Hoping for a better experience at dinner tonight.    An interesting thing is that we walked through the buffet on our way to our muster station and saw the desserts we just had on the buffet.   And the soup too!  So, we were basically served buffet food for lunch.   Not sure about the pasta and quesadilla, because we didn't go around the entire buffet. 

On a positive note, the cappuccinos we had after lunch at Sir Samuel's were delightful and exactly what we needed to a perk up.

Thanks for the update.  Looks like you are off to a great start.  Surprised  cappuccinos  are served after noon.  Will have to take advantage of that when we board.  Happy sailing.....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, olegna said:

Thanks for the update.  Looks like you are off to a great start.  Surprised  cappuccinos  are served after noon.  Will have to take advantage of that when we board.  Happy sailing.....

Yes, cappuccinos definitely served after noon on the QM2.   And I have no hesitation on ordering one when I want one, despite the practices in some countries.  

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

6.23.24 Queens Grill Menus.pdf 4.47 MB · 3 downloads

Thanks for posting!  Their lunch menus looked better then the dinners.  

Roasted carrots for an appetizer?   Ham knuckle?  

No wonder I have the pop ups booked.

Edited by Judyrem
More info.