LIVE (almost) from QM2 Transatlantic June 23 to June 29

Joe33472

11 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

As a general point, if you don't complain you tend to miss out on remediation, as I'm sure you appreciate and thus it is unsurprising that no-one notices. You would have paid significant sums for QG so if the food isn't hot then they need to know.

It would be close to crazy (at least to my mind) to not have breakfast by not having room service, QG or Kings Court, however you do have the option of Britannia for breakfast (and lunch), it's just evening meals where you would be expected to go to your own restaurant.That would be an eccentric outcome though.

We're definitely going to have breakfast tomorrow, somewhere.  I just need to negotiate with my better half on where we'll be dining.  She's a little cranky right now.   I can say it definitely won't be QG, which is where I would like to go. 

As far as complaining, yes, if this continues we will definitely have to say something about the food and the service.  Not exactly sure where, when, and to whom I'll do the "complaining".   How do you even complain about serving food at proper temperatures.  That's just basic restaurant stuff.  If they can't get food temperatures right, they got some big problems.  

• Like 3

It seems odd to me to share what sound like valid complaints and quite specific ones with anyone in the world with access to this site. Yet not address them with the people tasked with providing you, as a Cunard passenger, let alone one in Queen's Grill with better.  

You might start breakfast in the Grill tomorrow with a chat with the maitre d' and see what that gets you. 

• Like 11

14 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

Just out of curiosity, we went through the buffet tonight after dinner to see what duplicates were on the QG menu for dinner and what was being served on the buffet and we found several duplicates.  The asparagus soup and the fillet of trout, the exact same food on both menus.  I certainly wasn't going to cross reference the two menus, but based on lunch, I'm sure there were more.  We paid extra to do QG because the food was supposed to be so good, but it's the same stuff as on the buffet?  Not a good sign.  It's also cold and not cooked to order.  I'm really at a loss for words.  

The food in the Queens Grill is definitely supposed to be better and I remember reading somewhere that you can ask for custom made orders where they can make you custom-made food, to your liking, based on a recipe that you like and they can do many different types of cuisines, such as Italian, French, Asian, etc.  Maybe that's something you can try @Joe33472 although I think you may have to order in the morning so that they have enough time to make it, before dinner?

Edited by Kordy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Kordy said:

The food in the Queens Grill is definitely supposed to be better and I remember reading somewhere that you can ask for custom made orders where they can make you custom-made food, to your liking, based on a recipe that you like and they can do many different types of cuisines, such as Italian, French, Asian, etc.  Maybe that's something you can try @Joe33472 although I think you may have to order in the morning so that they have enough time to make it, before dinner?

Yes, I read too that in QG you can order off menu (which is one of the reasons I booked QG in the first place), but we found some things on the regular menu that we could eat and we figured rather than be fussy or difficult we'd eat what was being offered on the regular menu in those instances when there are things we can legitimately eat.   And that the since it's what's on the menu it would be served hot.  We can definitely try to order off menu and see if that would be better.  

• Like 1

I think the first day, during the Disembarkation/Embarkation, the Boarding process, safety checks, loading/unloading, the crew is running around like headless chickens and things will settle on Day 2 and then afterwards. Give them a chance to get it right as it all settles in!

11 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

It seems odd to me to share what sound like valid complaints and quite specific ones with anyone in the world with access to this site. Yet not address them with the people tasked with providing you, as a Cunard passenger, let alone one in Queen's Grill with better.  

You might start breakfast in the Grill tomorrow with a chat with the maitre d' and see what that gets you. 

Really not odd.  Trust me, I'm a discerning consumer and over the years I've had the opportunity to advocate for myself and my family when we are not receiving services that we've paid for.  As I've matured over the years, I pick my battles and tend to not sweat the small stuff.   I also try not to give workers issues, as they work so hard.   

We have to be on this cruise for the next 6 days, and I really don't want my food spit into or other adverse retaliation for my "complaints".    I've never sent a dish back to the kitchen to be "fixed" on land.  I just don't do it.  I'm not going to do it at sea.  When I was in HS, I worked in a kitchen of a fancy Italian restaurant, and just wouldn't do it.   People will say, oh no, they won't mess with your food.  Okay, think what you want to think..... I'm not eating it after the complaints.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Kordy said:

I think the first day, during the Disembarkation/Embarkation, the Boarding process, safety checks, loading/unloading, the crew is running around like headless chickens and things will settle on Day 2 and then afterwards. Give them a chance to get it right as it all settles in!

Yes, absolutely!  We're definitely not going to complain or make issues for anything today.  We're tired too, so maybe our patience is low right now.    We're definitely going to QG for lunch and dinner tomorrow, so we'll see what happens. 

The only reason I mention all of this is just to give my perspective of the food and service of QG and hopefully help someone considering what type of cabin to book.   Right now, it's absolutely not worth the premium fare paid.  I'm open to that changing.  And had hoped it would be worth it, so it's more disappointing than anything.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Trust me.... I have been sailing in ocean liners for half a century (starting with SS FRANCE in August 1974) and worked briefly aboard one and the basic complaints you have articulated would make any steward or maitre d' cringe.  Give them a chance to make it better and they will. Honest. I have sailed with Cunard since 1977 and it's not perfect and when it's not... tell them and they will do their best to make it so.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Trust me.... I have been sailing in ocean liners for half a century (starting with SS FRANCE in August 1974) and worked briefly aboard one and the basic complaints you have articulated would make any steward or maitre d' cringe.  Give them a chance to make it better and they will. Honest. I have sailed with Cunard since 1977 and it's not perfect and when it's not... tell them and they will do their best to make it so.  

I truly appreciate your comments and agree that these basic issues would probably make a maitre d' cringe, but with all due respects, it's not my "job" to counsel them on basic restaurant operations.  Serve hot food, don't let me sit there with an empty plate for 15 minutes, and don't serve food that's available on the buffet.  And don't have the drink guy serve me a double because he's too busy to come back mid-way and serve me again.  That's what he said, seriously.  

Why pay for QG if I can get the same food on the buffet.  They didn't even name it something different on the buffet.   

I'm not taking about serving me from the wrong side.  Or waiting too long for hot food.   We're talking about basic stuff, for QG I shouldn't have to even be mentioning this stuff. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, jollyjones said:

No shaver socket in bathroom in which to plug my nightlight - second big fail. 

We've always had a night light plug in the bathroom since the first time on the QM2.

And we've been in several categories of cabins/suites.

1 minute ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We've always had a night light plug in the bathroom since the first time on the QM2.

And we've been in several categories of cabins/suites.

Just keep the bathroom light on and door ajar. Sweet dreams 

• Like 1

We're going pretty fast!  Almost 26 knots!   I'm thinking that's because they shortened this crossing to six nights.   Still very impressive speed.   And smooth like butter and soft purr of the engines, even though we're on deck 9. 

IMG_3961.thumb.JPEG.4d8f32f1b9e20f1f2717b71448c88f4d.JPEG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Joe33472 said:

Just out of curiosity, we went through the buffet tonight after dinner to see what duplicates were on the QG menu for dinner and what was being served on the buffet and we found several duplicates.  The asparagus soup and the fillet of trout, the exact same food on both menus.  I certainly wasn't going to cross reference the two menus, but based on lunch, I'm sure there were more.  We paid extra to do QG because the food was supposed to be so good, but it's the same stuff as on the buffet?  Not a good sign.  It's also cold and not cooked to order.  I'm really at a loss for words.  

I'm not a fan of QM2 and have no QG experience with her and doubt I ever will but I have of the rest of the Cunard fleet and I find it hard to take that the Cunard flagship has a QG standard which falls below her sisters. Not acceptable.

Food.

If a hot dish, it should be served hot. If it isn't ask the Head Waiter over and ask why it's not. It happened to me last year  and the meal was whisked away and a replacement brought. It took time and my husband had finished his entrée but I got a hot meal. I  also asked if I could have a magnifying glass one meal so I could find my filet mignon. That too got whisked away and two brought for me. Freshly cooked  although I say cooked but as I have mine blue so it didn't take long.

No one will spit in your meal and if no one points out issues, they can't be rectified.

Each meal, there are items common to all menus which is why some dishes in the buffet will be the same as QG menu. The difference being however, is the range of choice in the various restaurants.

Ask for the following day's menu the night before and if nothing floats your boat, ask for what you'd like. It's no trouble and it's part of the dining experience. That goes for starters, entrées and puds. Whatever you want, if the ingredients are on the ship, you can have it as long as you let the head Waiter know in advance [hence asking for the following day's menu 🙂].

Cabin

QM2 is 'old' and a few questions on this forum would have prepared you. Neither of the Vistas have usb ports as standard and I wouldn't have expected Mary to have either and would have gone prepared, mind you, we were caught out last year when expecting deck 6 aft cabins to have ports, and they didn't but that's another issue.

We keep the bathroom light on so can't comment on night lights, and hangers? Can't stand 'those' so would try and get some 'proper' hangers if there are any on the ship.

The butler is there to help in any way he/sh can. I usually ask for more padded hangers for delicate items although on Annie, I had more than enough this year.

Basically, don't let 'things' fester. Ask, ask and ask again. 🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Good morning!   Slept really well.  The bed was very comfortable (as many say about Cunard) and no problems with the abundant pillows.   Checked my online account and it appears that we're being charged for drinks although we're supposed to have the Grills drink promo.   Will make a trip to the lounge to see if they can fix it there or if I have to go to guest services.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

Good morning!   Slept really well.  The bed was very comfortable (as many say about Cunard) and no problems with the abundant pillows.   Checked my online account and it appears that we're being charged for drinks although we're supposed to have the Grills drink promo.   Will make a trip to the lounge to see if they can fix it there or if I have to go to guest services.   

Go and see the Concierge for your first port of call. They are often more proactive than Front Desk.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Carnevale said:

Many thanks for the info you are sharing during your voyage. If you have a chance to post the room service menu we’d really appreciate it.

Here are the room service menus for regular food and the door tag for breakfast.  

IMG_3963.thumb.JPEG.396a0702a0d03416233deb35905d6de3.JPEG

IMG_3964.thumb.JPEG.02ae6e0627e87f29fd338ca67fc6b8e4.JPEG

• Thanks 2

A quick tip re room service menu.

If wanting a chargeable dish off the room menu, QG or not, you will be charged.

However, if you order the same meal through the the QG restaurant [via your Butler] I am assured you won't get charged.

Didn't try it out but that's what our wonderful Butler told us in May.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even in Britannia the waiters ask if everything was alright with your food. I don't often leave food but when I have, I've always been asked what the problem is and been offered a replacement. I'm not sure what's going on but you need to tell the staff that you're not happy. 

I hope things improve for you today. 

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I'm not a fan of QM2 and have no QG experience with her and doubt I ever will but I have of the rest of the Cunard fleet and I find it hard to take that the Cunard flagship has a QG standard which falls below her sisters. Not acceptable.

Food.

If a hot dish, it should be served hot. If it isn't ask the Head Waiter over and ask why it's not. It happened to me last year  and the meal was whisked away and a replacement brought. It took time and my husband had finished his entrée but I got a hot meal. I  also asked if I could have a magnifying glass one meal so I could find my filet mignon. That too got whisked away and two brought for me. Freshly cooked  although I say cooked but as I have mine blue so it didn't take long.

No one will spit in your meal and if no one points out issues, they can't be rectified.

Each meal, there are items common to all menus which is why some dishes in the buffet will be the same as QG menu. The difference being however, is the range of choice in the various restaurants.

Ask for the following day's menu the night before and if nothing floats your boat, ask for what you'd like. It's no trouble and it's part of the dining experience. That goes for starters, entrées and puds. Whatever you want, if the ingredients are on the ship, you can have it as long as you let the head Waiter know in advance [hence asking for the following day's menu 🙂].

Cabin

QM2 is 'old' and a few questions on this forum would have prepared you. Neither of the Vistas have usb ports as standard and I wouldn't have expected Mary to have either and would have gone prepared, mind you, we were caught out last year when expecting deck 6 aft cabins to have ports, and they didn't but that's another issue.

We keep the bathroom light on so can't comment on night lights, and hangers? Can't stand 'those' so would try and get some 'proper' hangers if there are any on the ship.

The butler is there to help in any way he/sh can. I usually ask for more padded hangers for delicate items although on Annie, I had more than enough this year.

Basically, don't let 'things' fester. Ask, ask and ask again. 🙂

We will definitely have to bring food and service issues to their attention at some point.  We'll see how things go today.  

As far as the stateroom, we knew what to expect after watching many videos and the stateroom has actually exceeded our expectations.  It's a quite lovely space and even though dated, we have no issues with this suite.  We have more outlets than we could ever use; a comfortable bed and pillows; huge closet; and normal hangers.   Very spacious and nice sized TV which actually faces the couch and bed.   Our stateroom gets an A+.   We have absolutely no problems. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

We will definitely have to bring food and service issues to their attention at some point.  We'll see how things go today.  

As far as the stateroom, we knew what to expect after watching many videos and the stateroom has actually exceeded our expectations.  It's a quite lovely space and even though dated, we have no issues with this suite.  We have more outlets than we could ever use; a comfortable bed and pillows; huge closet; and normal hangers.   Very spacious and nice sized TV which actually faces the couch and bed.   Our stateroom gets an A+.   We have absolutely no problems. 

Apologies, mixing up posts.

Yours was supposed to be just food and you got the cabin bit too. Good to know you're happy with it but as far as the restaurant is concerned, if unhappy today, get it sorted. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Even in Britannia the waiters ask if everything was alright with your food. I don't often leave food but when I have, I've always been asked what the problem is and been offered a replacement. I'm not sure what's going on but you need to tell the staff that you're not happy. 

I hope things improve for you today. 

Thanks!   We're hoping things are better for us today too.  Maybe it was just an embarkation day thing.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

A quick tip re room service menu.

If wanting a chargeable dish off the room menu, QG or not, you will be charged.

However, if you order the same meal through the the QG restaurant [via your Butler] I am assured you won't get charged.

Didn't try it out but that's what our wonderful Butler told us in May.

Can't edit

The reason for the 'no charge' is the order off menu facility is available in the cabin too so as long as the meal comes from QG kitchen, there's no charge.

However, ordering like that for room service will involve timing and last year, we ordered lunch off our Butler, at breakfast time.

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

Apologies, mixing up posts.

Yours was supposed to be just food and you got the cabin bit too. Good to know you're happy with it but as far as the restaurant is concerned, if unhappy today, get it sorted. 🙂

No problem, the hanger and pillow discussion got intertwined with the restaurant issues.  I did mention that QM2 was probably built before USB.  I was trying to be funny....

I hardly ever use USB ports, and for that matter all of our devices use USB-C and I would never expect the QM2 or any cruise ship to have USB-C ports. 

• Like 1