Let’s Not let QE feel left out…semi-live Alaska report

NE John

7 hours ago, NE John said:

Off to a good start with Sandro as M’d and good table mates around us. QG dining room has a nice atmosphere. Lovely. DW and Sandro got to have a chat in their dialect.
I must say the  Q4 “Penthouse” may have 510 sf of space but feels cramped. Wardrobe hanging space is minimal and living area taken up by huge bar service area. Not convinced on this suite yet…

However, beautiful day and the ship looks wonderful. 

You're in safe hands! Sandro was M d' on QV pre Covid and is terrific. Mind you, Raul who I think he swapped with is also terrific.

The Penthouses do seem a little 'cluttered' but they are mid ships which many folk like.Unless the ship has been re fitted, I wouldn't say the counter top over the fridge is huge although QV's has a sink combined too whereas QE doesn't which accounts for the surface area.

We found the hanging space more than acceptable too. You'll get used to it. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NE John said:

Off to a good start with Sandro as M’d and good table mates around us. QG dining room has a nice atmosphere. Lovely. DW and Sandro got to have a chat in their dialect.
I must say the  Q4 “Penthouse” may have 510 sf of space but feels cramped. Wardrobe hanging space is minimal and living area taken up by huge bar service area. Not convinced on this suite yet…

I thought the hanging space was huge. Not as huge as the bar thing admittedly.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, NE John said:

I concede that these suites are a little cramped, but there are two aspects which we like a lot.  First: the divided bathroom and having a separate shower stall. On the QM2 we would have to spend a small fortune on one of the relatively few suites that have a proper shower.

Secondly, these are real suites in that there is a substantial division between the sitting and sleeping areas.  Although there is no door, there is a heavy curtain.  On most afternoons "She who must be obeyed" likes to have a serious nap. With the curtain drawn I have access to the bar, bathroom, balcony and bar  - oops I already mentioned the bar. 

For our cruise next month we splurged on a Q3. Supposedly they are slightly larger, but from the photos and videos I have seen it isn't obvious.  They are very close to the B stairs/lifts and the fare difference was only (Can.$) 200 pp.

I'm please to read that Sandro is in the QG.  He is a gem.

Edited by david,Mississauga
typo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, david,Mississauga said:

I concede that these suites are a little cramped, but there are two aspects which we like a lot.  First: the divided bathroom and having a separate shower stall. On the QM2 we would have to spend a small fortune on one of the relatively few suites that have a proper shower.

Secondly, these are real suites in that there is a substantial division between the sitting and sleeping areas.  Although there is no door, there is a heavy curtain.  On most afternoons "She who must be obeyed" likes to have a serious nap. With the curtain drawn I have access to the bar, bathroom, balcony - oops I already mention the bar. 

For our cruise next month we splurged on a Q3. Supposedly they are slightly larger, but from the photos and videos I have seen it isn't obvious.  They are very close to the B stairs/lifts and the fare difference was only (Can.$) 200 pp.

I'm please to read that Sandro is in the QG.  He is a gem.

We used to book the 3s because of their lift proximity before my new knee allowed me the run of  ships.

I would say if there is any difference re sq ft between the 4s and 3s on the Vistas, it's microscopic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

We used to book the 3s because of their lift proximity before my new knee allowed me the run of  ships.

I would say if there is any difference re sq ft between the 4s and 3s on the Vistas, it's microscopic.

We were able to get one on Deck 4 which has an obvious convenience to the activities on Decks 2 & 3.  It is directly above the library.  On previous QE cruises we have had Britannia and PG staterooms on Deck 4 close to this location and they were quiet.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

We were able to get one on Deck 4 which has an obvious convenience to the activities on Decks 2 & 3.  It is directly above the library.  On previous QE cruises we have had Britannia and PG staterooms on Deck 4 close to this location and they were quiet.

We had deck 4 3s booked on a few Covid cancelled cruises just for the added balcony depth. I think on sunny cruises, if we were to book any 3s again [we won't] we'd def. go for deck 4 3s as you have the best of both worlds, sun and shade although the 'open' bit is overlooked but who cares, so good choice. 🙂

• Like 1

After a day of a digital holiday, arrived in Ketchican. Three other ships but not too crazy. 
First impressions of QG experience - caring and kind. The ratio of staff to passenger makes a huge difference. They had a nice birthday cake for me last night and we feel wrapped very well in the QG care. One word - lovely. 

IMG_4535.jpeg

IMG_4531.jpeg

• Like 6

Even with SIX cruise ships at Ketchican today, it’s crowded but not Santorini crazy crowded. We actually took a break and had a pleasant coffee/hot chocolate break back at Corinthia Cafe. 
Very nice visit and waiting for Lumberjack Show. 

image.jpg

• Like 4

We saw a grizzly swimming along the shore first thing this morning as we neared Ketchikan from our balcony.

We hiked 3 miles along the shore to the Saxman Totem Park and then took the city bus back to town and went to the 1:00 lumberjack show. Discovered the local brewery, good beer and we also had a nice pizza at Fat Stan’s.

The chef in QG is making me a special halibut Oscar tonight. Everything has been exceptional in QG.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Wedgie Wedgie said:

We saw a grizzly swimming along the shore first thing this morning as we neared Ketchikan from our balcony.

We hiked 3 miles along the shore to the Saxman Totem Park and then took the city bus back to town and went to the 1:00 lumberjack show. Discovered the local brewery, good beer and we also had a nice pizza at Fat Stan’s.

The chef in QG is making me a special halibut Oscar tonight. Everything has been exceptional in QG.

Stop by table 31 and say hello!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Wedgie Wedgie said:

Hockey party in Lucia’s QG bar @ 4:00 tomorrow. I think we’re the only Panthers fans on board.

I think you're the only Panthers fan I've encountered! Even when my beloved Jags was playing for them, I couldn't make myself root for them.

Totally mesmerized by the scenic cruise today of Tracy Arm Fjord and the glacier at the end. We spent all afternoon going up and down and spinning around. A major highlight of Alaska. We are fortunate to have Dr. Rachel Cartwright to give us her deep perspective on Alaska and the balance of nature around here. 
Foodwise - Lots of seafood on QG menu. We made arrangements to order off-menu tonight for Polpo simply prepared the Italian way. Sandro understood what we asked for as he and DW get to use their native Napoli dialect with each other. 

IMG_4601.jpeg

IMG_4600.jpeg

IMG_4594.jpeg

IMG_4588.jpeg

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, NE John said:

This has been a quiet cruise after dinner. I’ve heard that about Alaska with early excursions. It’s pretty sparsely populated around the ship, except for the QR and the Made in Britain themed Night. 

Quiet yes, but can you see now why we went back a couple of times to 'do' the Inside Passage!

If you've had a really great time, and want a more immersive dip into 'the bears and nature', try four nights at Knight Inlet. That was an experience never to be forgotten.