Solos in suites, lines that allow it?

atexsix

After a death in the family I am returning to the solo life, does anybody know which lines are super solo friendly and which ones you can book at the suite level without fear of being bumped?  I'm told that HAL, Princess, and Carnival will currently bump if larger groups need rooms with capacity for them.  And there are rumors that RC and Celebrity are considering similar policies.  

It would be my guess that smaller luxury lines would not do this.  

I just want to book something special and nobody seems to want my money. 

41 minutes ago, atexsix said:

After a death in the family I am returning to the solo life, does anybody know which lines are super solo friendly and which ones you can book at the suite level without fear of being bumped?  I'm told that HAL, Princess, and Carnival will currently bump if larger groups need rooms with capacity for them.  And there are rumors that RC and Celebrity are considering similar policies.  

It would be my guess that smaller luxury lines would not do this.  

I just want to book something special and nobody seems to want my money. 

I’ve never had an issue booking a suite as a solo.  Now if you book a 2 BR that might be an issue.  

I always sail solo and never had issues with what cabin......suite or not. I took a cruise last month on Celebrity and booked a suite. They were happy to take my $$$.

• Like 1

The rule about HAL and Princess is that the line can bump you IF the room is designed for 3 or more and someone wants to book it. You can tell on the deck plan how many people the cabin allows. I am doubtful it applies to  double occupancy suites, at least for HAL, as I haven't seen prices at less than a 100% single supplement. So I'm sure you can book your suite, just don't book one that holds 3 people!

13 hours ago, sambamama said:

The rule about HAL and Princess is that the line can bump you IF the room is designed for 3 or more and someone wants to book it. You can tell on the deck plan how many people the cabin allows. I am doubtful it applies to  double occupancy suites, at least for HAL, as I haven't seen prices at less than a 100% single supplement. So I'm sure you can book your suite, just don't book one that holds 3 people!

I think most of them on HAL are designed for at least 3 people, that's what's causing a lot of angst on the HAL board; to roll the dice and book or not to book, that is the question, because there are few answers and as usual the cruise lines are not consistent with when they are enforcing these policies, although it's rumored to apply more to 7 day itineraries or less, which are heavily favored by families/groups.  It's also a moot point for me because I'd never be able to afford a suite on anything longer than that.  There's been a report of a bumping situation on Princess with somebody that had a booking before the cruise lines changed the policy, but we haven't yet heard about HAL. However, we have confirmed that staterooms set aside for 3/4 are not coming up as available during the booking process, so we know it's a thing now, but not every cruise passenger belongs to cruise critic to tell us about it.    

This, combined with the rising prices, and I might just lay low for awhile, eventually the tables will turn, the economy will head south and the family market they are going after won't be able to afford these types of vacations; then the cruise lines will be back, begging us solos with generous low supplement fares.  At least that's how it's been over my cruising life, it's up for a few years on solos, then down again.  

And I know cruise lines have to make all their money back from the debt incurred during the pandemic, but to the point of maxing out occupancy on every ship with 3rds and 4ths.....the crowds generated by that would make for a rather unpleasant vacation, at least for me. 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2024 at 10:21 PM, sambamama said:

All of HAL's Neptune Suites hold at least 3 passengers.  I've had the privilege of booking a couple of them in the past, and it was rare for more than 2 people to occupy them as it was mostly couples.  @atexsix, I don't know how HAL's new policy will impact solos' ability to book them, or even couples.  I don't think the policy was well thought out.  

• Like 1