Can I check in online without taking a picture?

newbie202020

I uploaded a photo but they still took one at the check-in desk.  I find that pretty much happens on every sailing, no matter which line.  Next time, I won’t bother.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

In the case of Southampton (but not Brooklyn or Hamburg) the agents routinely take photos of passengers even if they have previously loaded a photo into their profile. Cunard are far more bothered to make sure your credit card authority works through than the photo. The two essentials are the credit card and passport information, the photo isn't needed for online check-in to work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2024 at 5:52 PM, Pushpit said:

In the case of Southampton (but not Brooklyn or Hamburg) the agents routinely take photos of passengers even if they have previously loaded a photo into their profile. Cunard are far more bothered to make sure your credit card authority works through than the photo. The two essentials are the credit card and passport information, the photo isn't needed for online check-in to work.

I boarded yesterday at Southampton and they didn’t take a new photo; just used the one I had already uploaded as part of the online checkin.

The guy in front of me had left his passport on the train that morning and was trying to board on the basis that he had a spare photo of himself in his pocket.  Quite how this photo was going to help him get on the ship wasn’t clear, and I had to move on so never found out how that story ended.

1 hour ago, IB2 said:

I boarded yesterday at Southampton and they didn’t take a new photo; just used the one I had already uploaded as part of the online checkin.

The guy in front of me had left his passport on the train that morning and was trying to board on the basis that he had a spare photo of himself in his pocket.  Quite how this photo was going to help him get on the ship wasn’t clear, and I had to move on so never found out how that story ended.

Sadly denied boarding I suspect. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IB2 said:

Yes and it's good to get your data point. I guess we need to update this, since back in June they let me on at Southampton for QA with the supplied photo, which I thought odd, given previous practice. Then it happened again in early August for QM2. What seems to have changed is that their software - after scanning the passport page - seems to flash up the photo straight away on their screen, rather than being something further back. If the photo pops up then it's retrieved the passenger input successfully and presumably the agent now knows the photo is there.

Not that it makes a big difference, it just takes a second for the agent to take a photo if needed.

We went from Mayflower in Feb and all six of us got through with our pre-supplied photos.

We followed the guidance on the pics exactly (bright, white background etc), so not sure if that helped.

Posted (edited)

We boarded QM2 2 weeks ago in Hamburg and although we had uploaded photos, and followed the guidance exactly as well, they took new ones. 

Edited by Caipi

6 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

We had our photo taken [Mayflower] in May and July. As a tech idiot, could the software depend on the terminal?

Strangely all my Southampton departures have been Mayflower in the last 2 years. When they scanned your passport, usually with a mobile phone like device, did you see your photo flash up on their screen?

26 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

Strangely all my Southampton departures have been Mayflower in the last 2 years. When they scanned your passport, usually with a mobile phone like device, did you see your photo flash up on their screen?

Ermm, didn't look!😕

• Like 1

3 Cunard cruises so far.  3 times took photo ourselves and uploaded it.  3 times they took our pictures at check in, even though we told them we had already uploaded them.  Next time, I'm not bothering.  On the plus side, the check in agent at Civitavecchia held the camera significantly above my eye level, which I am most appreciative of 😉 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Wagtail adventures said:

3 Cunard cruises so far.  3 times took photo ourselves and uploaded it.  3 times they took our pictures at check in, even though we told them we had already uploaded them.  Next time, I'm not bothering.  On the plus side, the check in agent at Civitavecchia held the camera significantly above my eye level, which I am most appreciative of 😉 

Can you explain why that is significant?