Royal Caribbean Shuttle buses to Lisbon

Babynan

Hi. Does anyone who has been to Lisbon on the Anthem this year know if they have reinstated the shuttle buses into the town. They were stopped last year for some reason. I believe there were a lot of complaints about them being stopped.

I'd just like to know for our July cruise in case we need to make different arrangements to get to the town. Thanks
James

9 minutes ago, Babynan said:

Hi. Does anyone who has been to Lisbon on the Anthem this year know if they have reinstated the shuttle buses into the town. They were stopped last year for some reason. I believe there were a lot of complaints about them being stopped.

I'd just like to know for our July cruise in case we need to make different arrangements to get to the town. Thanks
James

RCI does not run tours.  They are an agent for tour operators.

18 minutes ago, Babynan said:

Had a port stop on Oct. 18, 2023.  I didn't think the walk was that far to town.

IMG_5233.jpg

Thanks for your replies. We were on the Anthem in October 2022 and they had shuttles into the town then, but when we went again last year, they had stopped. But we noticed that there were quite a few buses for the P&O ship that was in front of us. When we asked one of the drivers he told us that some of them were shuttles into the town. 

Most of the other ports we stopped at on the Canaries cruise had shuttle buses for the Anthem. Some of them you paid for, and some were free. 

We were on Anthem in Lisbon 2 weeks ago and didn't see any shuttle buses.  We were docked closest to the main square, so maybe that has something to do with it where the boat farther down gets shuttles.

We did the free shuttle bus in Tenerife and it was miserable.  We sat in a broiling bus with no AC waiting for it to fill up, and even when it started up there was still no AC.  

1 hour ago, little britain said:

You simply walk across the street to the old town. No need for shuttle busses in Lisbon! 

Hello,

I agree - generally. However if the port is busy then it’s possible a ship may have to berth at the old terminal next to the bridge and a shuttle, or team of huskies, would be necessary from there.

Regards,

Cublet

@Babynan, I know you and your wife have mobility issues, so although the main plaza by the river is a relatively short walk from the cruise terminal, this might be a stretch too far for you. Much of Lisbon is very hilly too. I suppose it also depends on which parts of the city you wish to visit. 

Royal Caribbean may have decided that distance wise, the beginning of the tourist area is near enough not to justify commissioning a shuttle service. Shuttles are usually provided by the port authorities only where it is deemed unsafe to walk across a working dock area, ( Bergen,and Zeebrugge for example),  or in some cities as encouragement to visit tourist areas (Rotterdam when we visited - the cruise line doesn’t usually tell you about these as they want to sell their excursions)

Hopefully someone on a current or recent cruise will be able to update you on the situation. Once you’ve decided what you want to see, you can at least check out the cruise excursion offerings and find out what else is available.

16 hours ago, steveru621 said:

Who is they?  Shuttle buses are the port's responsibility.

Not always, ports have to provide a free shuttle only to the port entrance and only if it is not allowed to walk in the port.

All other shuttles into town have to be organized by the cruise line and in most cases they charge guests for this. 

Some ports have regular bus lines to the town centers but they cost something as well.

Lisbon is one of the best ports to dock at due to the fact it is right next to the town/city and you are able to cross the road and head straight into it. If you have mobility issues then it would always be an issue as it is hilly but if you stay on the front you can go along to the food market or a number of retail/food outlets without having to go up the hills. The Tuk Tuks are not far away so to get to them would also be quite easy. A lot of other European ports do have shuttle buses due to being working ports rather than cruise ports but Lisbon is not one of them.