Main Dining Room surcharge ?

bob&france

22 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

The pasta dish was listed as an entree so the correct thing should be to charge for it. I agree about the Italian culture but then the dish shouldn't be listed as an entree.

Actually there shouldn't be a surcharge for additional entrees in a cruise ship MDR, but that's another topic lol.  In my over 30 cruises across almost all mainstream cruise lines, ordering a pasta as a starter (meaning you would like a starter size portion) is something I have often done with absolutely no questions asked.  In Italian restaurants in America (and also on some cruise menus), it's quite common for the menu to say any pasta can be ordered as a starter size.  I am not saying I expect MSC to give me a dinner size portion of pasta without the fee.  I am simply asking for the pasta as an appetizer.  If the kitchen chooses to bring me a full size portion, that is not my issue.  

52 minutes ago, gizfish said:

In Italian restaurants in America (and also on some cruise menus), it's quite common for the menu to say any pasta can be ordered as a starter size. 

I have not seen that here in Sweden and I don't remember seing that in Italy but the important think is that the menu on MSC don't say that. 1. The pastadish was listed as an entree and 2. A five dollar surcharge is mentioned when ordering a second entree.  

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

I have not seen that here in Sweden and I don't remember seing that in Italy but the important think is that the menu on MSC don't say that. 1. The pastadish was listed as an entree and 2. A five dollar surcharge is mentioned when ordering a second entree.  

I can confirm I’ve never seen this here in Italy either.

On the other hand, it’s (not too) common to see the opposite: some venues offer the customer the option to order an appetizer as an entrée, meaning a bigger portion with a surcharge 

43 minutes ago, maclover said:

On the other hand, it’s (not too) common to see the opposite: some venues offer the customer the option to order an appetizer as an entrée, meaning a bigger portion with a surcharge 

I have not seen that either here but should love that option. The appetizer is often the best part of the meal and I often feel that I should love that as an entree!

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

I have not seen that either here but should love that option. The appetizer is often the best part of the meal and I often feel that I should love that as an entree!

If not specified on the menu, you simply ask the waiter. Expect a surcharge.

The opposite (entree as appetizer) is less likely to happen, especially if you expect to pay less.

2 hours ago, maclover said:

If not specified on the menu, you simply ask the waiter. Expect a surcharge.

The opposite (entree as appetizer) is less likely to happen, especially if you expect to pay less.

I doubt that they will do that here. Of course it should be possible to order two appetizers, and pay for two appetizers, but just get a bigger one will most likely not be possible here.

33 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I doubt that they will do that here. Of course it should be possible to order two appetizers, and pay for two appetizers, but just get a bigger one will most likely not be possible here.

where do you mean by here?

Posted (edited)
On 6/26/2024 at 12:11 PM, TheBeardedCruiser said:

I will say though, I never left the dining room hungry, and I always only ordered one entree. I did order two or three starters and at least three desserts each night 😀

I cannot do that.  If I had that many desserts, I would not have any clothes that fit after the second or third night. 

We have ordered the pasta dish to share versus as a primary entre.  On our last cruise, I loved the penne that was on the YC everyday menu but instead of with the marinara sauce we asked for it with bolognaise sauce. It was delicious. 

Edited by DaKahuna
  • Haha 1