AT & T cell phone Alaska

beanpittsburgh

We were advised by friends that we might need a "Cruise Cellular package" while on board the Orion for our upcoming cruise in Alaska.  While checking with ATT, they don't have any packages for Viking, but they do for most other cruise lines. My question is do we really need any special plans for our trip? I know we can use the ship wi-fi for most communication but I'm sure my wife will want to call home often to check on family.  We are from the USA so I'm assuming Alaska is not a long-distance call, but I don't want to be caught off guard.  Thanks for any tips. 

Naw... You'll have Wi-Fi and full cell access when in port in Alaska. It's a US state.... Same with Hawaii. No, you won't be billed long distance.

If you're not in port, there's face time, what's app, signal, messenger, and other communication programs with built in voice calling.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beanpittsburgh said:

Thanks Mike!  That is kind of what I was thinking.  We did a long weekend in Niagra-on-the-Lake once and got hit with a +$100 bill for using the phone GPS for 1 day.  I didn't want to get hit with a hefty phone bill.  We have WhatsApp on our phones for use on the ship.

WOW!  We have ATT and Canada is covered by our data plan, and when overseas, it's only $10 per day for 1st phone, $5 per day for any others on the plan.  We turn on our data strategically (wanting to use Google Maps online when walking the streets, for example) and leave it off most of the time.  Wifi and wifi calling can be turned on while on airplane mode.

16 hours ago, beanpittsburgh said:

We were advised by friends that we might need a "Cruise Cellular package" while on board the Orion for our upcoming cruise in Alaska.  While checking with ATT, they don't have any packages for Viking, but they do for most other cruise lines. My question is do we really need any special plans for our trip? I know we can use the ship wi-fi for most communication but I'm sure my wife will want to call home often to check on family.  We are from the USA so I'm assuming Alaska is not a long-distance call, but I don't want to be caught off guard.  Thanks for any tips. 

Cellular at Sea calls are very expensive.  Assuming your phone supports it, put your phone in airplane mode and  turn on WiFi calling using the ship's WiFi when at not in port.  When you make a phone call to the US with WiFi calling, it treated as a domestic call according to your regular domestic plan.  When in a US port, just use your regular plan.  Check your plan's coverage if you call from a Canadian port.  Whether Canada is included or not depends on your plan's details.

Edited by 1985rz1

12 hours ago, beanpittsburgh said:

Thanks Mike!  That is kind of what I was thinking.  We did a long weekend in Niagra-on-the-Lake once and got hit with a +$100 bill for using the phone GPS for 1 day.  I didn't want to get hit with a hefty phone bill.  We have WhatsApp on our phones for use on the ship.

Yeah, that's the challenge of post-paid phone plans.....

If you're paranoid about that, it may be worth removing the sim or somehow blocking your e-sim.

That being said, WhatsApp should work for texting and voice calls on the ship.

On 6/26/2024 at 8:58 AM, sharkster77 said:

WOW!  We have ATT and Canada is covered by our data plan, and when overseas, it's only $10 per day for 1st phone, $5 per day for any others on the plan.  We turn on our data strategically (wanting to use Google Maps online when walking the streets, for example) and leave it off most of the time.  Wifi and wifi calling can be turned on while on airplane mode.

Be careful with using that plan in Canada.  I was told by AT&T rep on the phone that I had local (like we do in Mexico) in Canada.  We got charged 120 buck extra.  When I called back, the 2nd rep told me the first rep was mistaken.  They found where I had called that rep, then refunded the charge.  But was warned it is not covered there.  

56 minutes ago, island lady said:

Be careful with using that plan in Canada.  I was told by AT&T rep on the phone that I had local (like we do in Mexico) in Canada.  We got charged 120 buck extra.  When I called back, the 2nd rep told me the first rep was mistaken.  They found where I had called that rep, then refunded the charge.  But was warned it is not covered there.  

When I was in the Canadian Rockies 2 years ago, we used our ATT phones and did not get any additional charges---it may depend on your plan.  We only get charged extra ($10 per day) when in Europe.

Maybe you don't have an unlimited plan?  From the ATT website:

Capture.JPG

Edited by sharkster77

5 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

When I was in the Canadian Rockies 2 years ago, we used our ATT phones and did not get any additional charges---it may depend on your plan.  We only get charged extra ($10 per day) when in Europe.

Indeed confusing when you think your plan covers it, then I verified the plan when we entered Canada last year with the AT&T rep on the phone.  He assured me I was covered with my international plan.  Apparently he was wrong.  Weird as I am covered in Mexico.  

I was charged the 10.00 a day when in Canada...that is what they had to reverse for giving me wrong information.  Will just use WIFI calling from now on, during the rare times we would be back to Canada from now on.  

4 hours ago, island lady said:

Indeed confusing when you think your plan covers it, then I verified the plan when we entered Canada last year with the AT&T rep on the phone.  He assured me I was covered with my international plan.  Apparently he was wrong.  Weird as I am covered in Mexico.  

I was charged the 10.00 a day when in Canada...that is what they had to reverse for giving me wrong information.  Will just use WIFI calling from now on, during the rare times we would be back to Canada from now on.  

First customer service rep must have assumed you had an unlimited plan, I would guess.

47 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

First customer service rep must have assumed you had an unlimited plan, I would guess.

Ironically I do now.   Needed to adjust our plan (didn't need tethering any longer).  The new plan the rep today set me up with assured me I had the unlimited plan.  And a bonus discount for AARP.  🙂