[Live!] Discovery Princess to Alaska (6/29-7/6/24)

8 minutes ago, KarmaCruisers said:

Yes.

lol, No.

Are they still going to the small boat harbor that is not far from the ship?  I had heard rumors last year that they might move the tender stop closer to town but I'm guessing that didn't happen.  And it seems like the Discovery has been assigned to RRF for most cruises when there's another ship at the Railroad Dock.  The ship in RRA position busses passengers through the "danger zone".

ETA:  Lots of news articles about this slide here:  https://skagwaynews.com/?s=landslide  Couldn't find anything from this year probably because nothing has changed.

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Are they still going to the small boat harbor that is not far from the ship?  I had heard rumors last year that they might move the tender stop closer to town but I'm guessing that didn't happen.  And it seems like the Discovery has been assigned to RRF for most cruises when there's another ship at the Railroad Dock.  The ship in RRA position busses passengers through the "danger zone".

ETA:  Lots of news articles about this slide here:  https://skagwaynews.com/?s=landslide  Couldn't find anything from this year probably because nothing has changed.

I have not been buses but I have walked through containers to get to town

Really enjoying your trip report. It's super genuine, which I greatly appreciate! We're headed to Alaska in a week to eventually board the Royal Princess after a short road trip through the Kenai Peninsula. Safe travels! I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Fishbone said:

Really enjoying your trip report. It's super genuine, which I greatly appreciate! We're headed to Alaska in a week to eventually board the Royal Princess after a short road trip through the Kenai Peninsula. Safe travels! I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.

Thanks. I will 

• Like 1

IMG_7690.thumb.jpeg.ab8e16af5a633151fccdf47738347aed.jpegIMG_7689.thumb.jpeg.ba55afeddc68d0d3467ef331875fc33c.jpegIMG_7688.thumb.jpeg.09818e9aad2e362663bc2282d18a5a66.jpegIMG_7685.thumb.jpeg.15ccd6d3a5175f63a52b3c7923e01dec.jpegIMG_7684.thumb.jpeg.54f5f80c7209d4c5b2c4b401b4bf1f98.jpegIMG_7680.thumb.jpeg.73a259207ebd3b57d9a9838bb150ab18.jpegIMG_7665.thumb.jpeg.3bbae590c4e192e1bb8a890b77c67cb3.jpegIMG_7665.thumb.jpeg.3bbae590c4e192e1bb8a890b77c67cb3.jpegIMG_7660.thumb.jpeg.991ed6bde514a903ce01ad6262efa384.jpegIMG_7661.thumb.jpeg.75e570a6717660da45bb8e2ebbb692be.jpegIMG_7662.thumb.jpeg.a9ea30975242947a3f5192faf1db4e8b.jpegI’m breaking all kinds of things

Drinking like an idiot 

Not getting up and doing my 18-minute miles (but we have been banging out 5+ miles every day according to the Fitbit; just not at a cardio heart rate level)

Eating way more than I probably should be.

Even gambled a LOT (broke even in the end, zero balance owing; and earned 4500 slot points)

but alas…a girl gave me some attention, but twas fleeting and it crashed & burned. (I honestly probably don’t know how to act after being married for 10 years.)

So starting right this moment; I will not drink anything but water for the last two days and I’ll also eat a bit smarter.

Were going to walk around Ketchikan a bit tomorrow; and probably not even get off the ship in Victoria.

Today looking at Glacier Bay was beautiful. (My first time)

Going to add some random photos now.

IMG_7670.jpeg

• Like 12

I actually feel like absolute doodoo because I tried to forget about what’s going on at home; but I just can’t. I’ve been going off the rails here on the cruise because I’ve been trying to be like I was before I was married (actually even long before that; because I was in a bad place in my life when I met my {ex}wife) 

I’m not that hip 160lb swinging cat anymore; I’m an old fat guy…

A man has to know his limitations; so says “Dirty” Harry Callahan.

I tried to see if I “still had it” and apparently I definitely don’t.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KarmaCruisers said:

I actually feel like absolute doodoo because I tried to forget about what’s going on at home; but I just can’t. I’ve been going off the rails here on the cruise because I’ve been trying to be like I was before I was married (actually even long before that; because I was in a bad place in my life when I met my {ex}wife) 

Sounds like you reeeally needed this cruise! Hang in there and no need to apologize for “going off the rails.” That’s what vacations are for. I was with my hubby for 32 years and I have NO idea who I am right now, but I sure as heck am gonna do my darndest to be me on my Alaska adventure! Enjoy your last two days and surround yourself with those who love and support you. Happy Cruising!

• Like 7

@KarmaCruisers Nice glacier bay photos. Yes glacier bay is a very relaxing balcony day.

Hang in there and just continue to enjoy your vacation. Put one foot in front of the other & enjoy life. Good attitude about trying to do better. You have to love yourself first. Hopefully your cousins ( cabin mates)are encouraging.

Enjoying following along.

7 hours ago, KarmaCruisers said:

I can't say I know how you're feeling, but I can tell you that it takes time to heal after any big life change, and you are still in the midst of a life change. You might even be grieving for what you thought you had, and then it didn't turn out to the plan.

And in my unsolicited opinion, I think you should feel proud of yourself *just* for embarking on the ship and taking this cruise. That's a big accomplishment right there.

Sometimes being in nature can help - like an Alaska cruise! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KarmaCruisers said:

Give yourself a break.  You have a major life event happening.  You are allowed to go off the rails and have fun on this cruise.  Then when you home, get yourself and your life back in order.  What do I want to do anymore?  What don’t I want to do anymore?  What’s something I haven’t done and would really love to try?
Enjoy these last few days and embrace where you are because it is a beautiful place.

• Like 1

Just now, swimmingpoolguy said:

I can't say I know how you're feeling, but I can tell you that it takes time to heal after any big life change, and you are still in the midst of a life change. You might even be grieving for what you thought you had, and then it didn't turn out to the plan.

And in my unsolicited opinion, I think you should feel proud of yourself *just* for embarking on the ship and taking this cruise. That's a big accomplishment right there.

Sometimes being in nature can help - like an Alaska cruise! 

Thanks for the kind words; this is actually not my first solo cruise since she left me (in late January), this is the third; HOWEVER, this IS the first I’ve taken since she “went for the jugular” (all along I thought we might be able to patch it up or at least be amicable about the divorce)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, WhiteOptima said:

Give yourself a break.  You have a major life event happening.  You are allowed to go off the rails and have fun on this cruise.  Then when you home, get yourself and your life back in order.  What do I want to do anymore?  What don’t I want to do anymore?  What’s something I haven’t done and would really love to try?
Enjoy these last few days and embrace where you are because it is a beautiful place.

And you’re right there. I’ve just been on a health journey since 2/1 (still am on the journey) and I was doing good with exercising and eating healthy/correct portion size.

But this trip is definitely a cruise or firsts (first time I went to Glacier Bay, first time I went to Tracy’s Crab Shack, etc) and it also is the first time I’ve felt like I was “on the prowl”, and allowed myself to have those FEELINGS of being “on the prowl” (I mean I was married so I guess I couldn’t be “on the prowl”, but like I didn’t even have feelings OF being the “man”)

I’m just hoping when I get home to the scale; having walked damn near 5 miles a day, I hope I didn’t put on TOO much weight. (Was 224 when I left)

• Like 2