Late-ish arrival in Boston day before cruise

cajun-crazy

NCL arranged flights which land 5:30 pm day before departure. Our hotel is at Seaport. I was really hoping for time to see just a little of Boston. 

once we get to hotel and drop luggage,  is it feasible to go to one of the neighborhoods and grab dinner? The easiest is just to stay at Seaport and eat there. 

this is early September. I will need to check sunset times to see when it gets dark.

6 hours ago, cajun-crazy said:

NCL arranged flights which land 5:30 pm day before departure. Our hotel is at Seaport. I was really hoping for time to see just a little of Boston. 

once we get to hotel and drop luggage,  is it feasible to go to one of the neighborhoods and grab dinner? The easiest is just to stay at Seaport and eat there. 

this is early September. I will need to check sunset times to see when it gets dark.

Boston has a fairly small downtown core and quite feasible to get out and see some of it. Would definitely recommend getting out of the Seaport to see things as the Seaport is the least historic and atmospheric part of the city-- mainly chain restaurants, hotels, and luxury condos. 

You can easily take an Uber-- lots of good places to eat in Back Bay and Beacon Hill. Maybe the morning before your cruise wake up and walk along the waterfront and Faneuil Hall area (which can be done in the dark but would be better the next morning in the light). You wont get to see everything but you'll at least see a little bit.

Agree with Princeton. I was going to suggest a sunset cruise or ghost tour by foot or trolley but with your arrival time and the chance your flight is delayed it would not be smart to pre-book anything.

Our flight the afternoon prior has been rescheduled, so we now arrive at 3 vs. 1.

Since we are staying at Hampton Inn Chelsea Airport, we plan on visiting the USS Constitution aka Old Ironsides (6pm close) and having dinner at the historic Warren Tavern. Both those are on the north side of the Charles River. Had to scratch a Charles River cruise which was in our original plan for arrival afternoon.

Good ideas! I have always gone straight to ship on embarkation day, but - I believe - I have until 2 p.m.  Plenty of time to spend the morning around Faneuil Hall.

And NCL could always decide to reschedule the flights!  I wish there was a comment section they could refer to when booking.  Earliest departure, fewest stops, etc.  Our city offered a 6:00 a.m. departure. Even though some people wouldn't, I would have loved that. 

46 minutes ago, cajun-crazy said:

Good ideas! I have always gone straight to ship on embarkation day, but - I believe - I have until 2 p.m.  Plenty of time to spend the morning around Faneuil Hall.

And NCL could always decide to reschedule the flights!  I wish there was a comment section they could refer to when booking.  Earliest departure, fewest stops, etc.  Our city offered a 6:00 a.m. departure. Even though some people wouldn't, I would have loved that. 

NCL doesn’t reschedule flights, the airlines do.

1 hour ago, cajun-crazy said:

I believe - I have until 2 p.m.  Plenty of time to spend the morning around Faneuil Hall.

If you don't need to be to the ship until 2 you have a ton of time. You're only a 5-10 minute short Uber into the main part of town from the Seaport so even if you left the hotel at 9am and came back at noon you can see a lot in Boston that morning given how walkable it is. 

I would get dropped off near the Boston Harbor Hotel at Rowes Wharf, walk along the waterfront down to where the Aquarium and Marriott Long Wharf are, turn inland to Faneuil Hall and walk through that area, go up to Congress and State Streets where the old State House is (where Boston Massacre took place), continue to the Massachusetts State House, walk down through Boston Common/Public Garden, and either choose to walk down Charles St (into Beacon Hill) or over towards Copley/Back Bay. Uber back from wherever you end up. 

If you walked all of that without stopping it would only take you about a half hour so you have time to meander and you'll see a whole bunch of Boston in only a couple hours.