Does Cheers package activate as soon as boarding ship?

mjayp

My last cruise (out of Baltimore) was my first one purchasing Cheers. I ordered a drink right after boarding at the Red Frog Rum Bar (while the ship was still at port), and the expense showed up on my account as a full priced drink.  I am wondering if there is a lag for Cheers to activate, or if it does not kick in until the ship leaves port?  

There is a lag when departing from the ports below according to cheers.  Not sure about Baltimore.

TEXAS, NORFOLK AND NEW YORK

Cheers package begins on Day 2 for ships sailing from Texas, Norfolk and New York - activation will occur at 6:00am on the second day of the cruise.

Applicable state and local taxes will be charged to the guest folio when this program is used within US waters. The tax is based on the state's tax structure and the cost of the individual drink purchased (not the daily program rate). For example: if the drink price is $5 and the tax is 10%, the guest's Sail & Sign card will be charged $0.50 for tax. This applies to all US ports (embarkation home ports and ports-of-call). Cheers Package is inclusive of VAT, if and as applicable on European cruises. Package is non-transferable and non-refundable after 10:00pm ET the evening before departure. Please note that an 18% service charge will be added to all drink package purchases.

• Like 1

Baltimore is definitely not impacted by that rule (later drinks on that first day went through Cheers no problem), but wasn't sure if there was another policy in play before the ship departs.  Has anyone who had Cheers in the past had similar experiences?

1 hour ago, kdr69 said:

There is a lag when departing from the ports below according to cheers.  Not sure about Baltimore.

TEXAS, NORFOLK AND NEW YORK

Cheers package begins on Day 2 for ships sailing from Texas, Norfolk and New York - activation will occur at 6:00am on the second day of the cruise.

Applicable state and local taxes will be charged to the guest folio when this program is used within US waters. The tax is based on the state's tax structure and the cost of the individual drink purchased (not the daily program rate). For example: if the drink price is $5 and the tax is 10%, the guest's Sail & Sign card will be charged $0.50 for tax. This applies to all US ports (embarkation home ports and ports-of-call). Cheers Package is inclusive of VAT, if and as applicable on European cruises. Package is non-transferable and non-refundable after 10:00pm ET the evening before departure. Please note that an 18% service charge will be added to all drink package purchases.

Edited by mjayp

We've had Cheers sailing out of Baltimore...I don't recall paying while still in port. Taxes are added while in port, I think all ports, once ship is underway and sort of reaches international waters the tax is no longer charged.

Edited by bar1068
words missing
  • Thanks 1

It will show up as a charge like you're still paying for it, but by the next day if not later that night on embarkation day it should clear out once your Cheers! goes into effect.

Regardless, you will be charged for tax on any and all drinks while in port which will not clear since those are obligatory.

• Thanks 1