Queen Anne Northern Europe & Scandinavia — H416

MylesS

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

MylesS was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Another Sunday, another turn around day in our small summer onboard Queen Anne.

Very excited for this cruise and visiting some ports I haven’t been to before, and some favourites such as Hamburg where we hate some things planned.

As mentioned in the other thread, it’s a bit grey and damn today here in Southampton, so hopefully the weather gets a bit brighter as we go! 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I really don’t know how you will manage to get off when the awful moment comes.

I’m trying not to think about it.. after 3 weeks now I still haven’t found a suitable hiding spot! 

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, MylesS said:

I’m trying not to think about it.. after 3 weeks now I still haven’t found a suitable hiding spot! 

If the weather is OK, you might consider the very front of Deck 14. I always found it both almost empty and surprisingly sheltered.

Card scanned at the muster station while waiting for lunch in Golden Lion — and I’ve managed to get the F1 put on as well!

image.thumb.jpg.6603ca41a02f384f2e6fb3d2107f5dd0.jpg

• Like 5

We have our first B2B booked on two separate bookings [took a bit of a risk to ensure two OBCs and Diamond credits! 👍] instead off the usual one booking reference so have found your info on your b2bs really helpful. Thx.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

We have our first B2B booked on two separate bookings [took a bit of a risk to ensure two OBCs and Diamond credits! 👍] instead off the usual one booking reference so have found your info on your b2bs really helpful. Thx.

No problem! Cunard have been fantastic ensuring a seamless transition between cabins, etc. I can’t fault them at all. 

Since we book them all individually we get the perks reset each time, which is always nice, especially with the speciality restaurants and cocktail parties.

Always funny to be recognised by the crew saying “You’re still here!?” as well. 

I’ve now hit what I’m calling “Double Diamond Tier”, as I now exceed both of the either or requirements. 

IMG_6717.thumb.jpeg.c7d4e882fadfe7a439c3e28ca09d6899.jpeg

• Like 4

The  risk element was keeping the same cabin, but we have, so I guess we just stay put or enjoy a really empty ship!

Double Diamond. Like it. We have a couple more cruises than you but getting on for 350 plus nights. You're very lucky to be able to spend so much time onboard and I guess we both could be termed 'regulars'! 🙂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

We have a couple more cruises than you but getting on for 350 plus nights

I’ll be keeping an ear out for your name in the cocktail parties as the most travelled guest! 😉

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

You're very lucky to be able to spend so much time onboard

We really are. I’m so thankful to be in a position where not only can I go myself, but bring my partner as well. After a few years of solo travel, she really does make the trips so much better. 

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

Greetings from QA.

Here is the elusive Daily Programme of which @MylesS was briefly but cruelly deprived. As with other Cruise Critic PDFs, you may need to be signed in to be able to read it. I've also included the Embarkation Queries leaflet. I must admit that really is different from the other Queens, in that luggage processed via the three Mayflower luggage collection pods is usually fairly discreet. On QA there's no avoiding mountains of luggage everywhere.

image.thumb.jpeg.cffe29fd72e51cdf40e59956c8951218.jpeg

That said, I self loaded my bags, I was in cabin fairly swiftly and that was with a 12:45 boarding time. Priority for boarding was Queens Grill, Princess Grill then Diamonds. I heard Platinum and then I think Club after that.

First impressions

- Club stateroom: really good, modern, better shower facilities, comfortable, plenty of UK, EU, USA and USB sockets. Got an Illy coffee machine (and got it to work). Better a/c. Bigger fridge. I've got proper clothes hangers, none of those duo hangers with no hook. Better sofa, smart balcony. Desk is a bit small though.

- Like Golden Lion, very nicely done, plenty of space and better laid out than the other Queens. Got my fish and chips and crumble as ever.

- I'd be OK with the Queens Room but the seat style isn't what I would choose. Not terrible, just not good. Upper deck could be better used.

- Carinthia - ok so this is the café rather than lounge, but it's nothing like as good as QM2 (there again, few things in life are), so no nice sofa seats for reading.

- Royal Court - yes a bit different, but seems fine to me

- Bright Lights - that works, well laid out, exciting to look at.

- Chart Room - goodness the a/c was cold in that, otherwise nicely done.

- Britannia Restaurant - very, very good, great selection of 2 top tables, right up to 12 person tables. All sorts of options for all preferences. Deck 3 looks better than deck 2 and is used for Open Dining, as QM2.

- Britannia Club (which is where I am) - Got a very private table at the back, a bit too private!  But the restaurant looks good, if somewhat vast compared to the other Clubs.

I'm taking lots of photos of things like plugs and washing machines but I'll do a separate thread for anything not voyage specific. Below, the sail-away Queen Anne Daily Programme departing Southampton on Sunday 30 June 2024.

QA30Jun24DP1.pdf

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Prompt departure as we were having dinner in Britannia.

IMG_6727.thumb.jpeg.97db13fdd59e9e5863dc15b54a9c29b0.jpeg

This is the first embarkation day during this trip we’ve eaten there (the past two we’ve done speciality) - and the service was speedy and what we’ve become (gratefully) used to after so many nights onboard. 

Unfortunately I did see a few cases of people being given a table and then getting up and moving, one individual doing so after being given a menu and water. I feel for the staff as this I assume makes their jobs harder.

We’ve noticed a younger crowd, whether that’s because some are doing the 2 nighter to Hamburg only time will tell. My partner did overhear people mentioning they were just onboard for a birthday, celebration, etc.

I did plan to skip the show this evening as it’s the same entertainer we had on the first week of this trip, but I’ve been convinced to go in case it’s any different. (Not complaining about this, I know we’re the very few who will be seeing the show for the possibly 2nd time) 

Edited by MylesS
  • Like 8

Dinner 30 June 2024 - Britannia Club

I really enjoyed this evening's meal, no first-night wobbles as far as I could tell, and good service from a great member of staff that I have known from both QV and QM2.

Menus for dinner today

image.thumb.jpeg.0a5b44fcb9d949827ac0381dee575ef5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8b8e1da275e8d24cad1822e72964b262.jpeg

Menus à la carte for Britannia Club

image.thumb.jpeg.98a66a85bc8f520d03ac53eb0a803832.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b25da26bc04e2bd1a386db4481b6178e.jpeg

The Skagen

image.thumb.jpeg.2d2d1f96ef2c0e3e72564a8de75e9b89.jpeg

Green salad

image.thumb.jpeg.1f46104c93a1c844d6e2332a2c9a4520.jpeg

Steak Diane

image.thumb.jpeg.c5fcab064dd100ce1493ddc48f60d0f2.jpeg

Cherry clafoutis tart

image.thumb.jpeg.956c32acf90e6b37d2d316cfb0e0cd35.jpeg

And some Roquefort and Camembert from the cheese trolley. Note the last two photos feature the William Edwards chinaware for Cunard.

image.thumb.jpeg.24a97f3f2e77be804174dbf05b3dce26.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Good morning/afternoon (we’ve jumped an hour forward) from a sunny North Sea. 

Late start this morning, left the cabin at 11 for laps around the deck before enjoying some coffee & juice at the 1840 bar before lunch.

They’ve already got a few cages/trollies out for suitcases, four on stairway A — so it seems like a lot will get off tomorrow. 

Our favourite show tonight, Imagination. This I don’t mind seeing 100 times, as it’s just that good. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here is today's Daily Programme.

And I've added my entry the QA Cruise Critic book in the library. It's a really lovely space, but needs to be twice the size. I really hope Cunard consider swiping a bit of the overly large Commodore Club to build in an extension.

QA01JUl24DP1.pdf

• Like 2

Relaxing afternoon at the bar contemplating another extension or a Disney trip (such a hard life..)

Dinner in the Britannia was as lovely as it was filling, we had to skip dessert we were so full!

We’re doing open dining and it took 3 attempts to get seated, as whenever we were assigned a table and taken there, someone else was sat there. 

Whether this is because the system is having a hiccup or people are moving I’m unsure.

Now we eagerly anticipate tonight’s show Imagination.

I had looked into also booking Noir, but my partner’s sister is boarding tomorrow, so perhaps that would be better for all of us to see together.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MylesS said:

Relaxing afternoon at the bar contemplating another extension or a Disney trip (such a hard life..)

Dinner in the Britannia was as lovely as it was filling, we had to skip dessert we were so full!

We’re doing open dining and it took 3 attempts to get seated, as whenever we were assigned a table and taken there, someone else was sat there. 

Whether this is because the system is having a hiccup or people are moving I’m unsure.

Now we eagerly anticipate tonight’s show Imagination.

I had looked into also booking Noir, but my partner’s sister is boarding tomorrow, so perhaps that would be better for all of us to see together.

Another extension? Go for it? Much better than a mouse. And you are giving me, at any rate, a lot of vicarious enjoyment. Just don’t spill your beer over the lift. 😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Another extension? Go for it? Much better than a mouse. And you are giving me, at any rate, a lot of vicarious enjoyment. Just don’t spill your beer over the lift. 😀

This would be a similar reason to the original extension, I haven’t been to Iceland before.

Also, I am dreading getting off 🤣

• Like 5

1 minute ago, MylesS said:

This would be a similar reason to the original extension, I haven’t been to Iceland before.

Also, I am dreading getting off 🤣

The thing is the longer you leave it, the worse it will get. What about booking something just a few weeks ahead so you have something to look forward to soon when you do tear yourself away?