additional tipping of bar staff while on ship

Just wondering what experienced HAL cruisers practice or observe regarding onboard tipping.  I realize tipping is personal and each has their own thoughts on what they choose to do.  On another cruise line, I typically give a dollar or two cash per bar drink at the time of service.  Just a small token of appreciation, especially if the server tends to remember the wife and me and remembers what we typically order.  We'll be doing a HAL cruise soon and I'm wondering how many ones to bring for this kind of tipping.  Is it common, or not usually done?  I know we're already paying money that is shared, but basically wonder how others seem to handle bar drinks and service along the way (not at the end of the cruise).  Thanks for any observations or suggestions.

Some passengers tip and some don't.  But I always give the waiter $1.  Not necessarily so they will remember me (although they do), but because I know how hard they work.  So I like to award hard work.

• Like 4

Oh boy...standing by for the heated arguments...

OP, tip as you desire...its OK. However, this is a heated topic that is discussed here quite often. Strap on your seatbelt for a rough ride.

No arguing from me- but any beverage served by a bar staff waiter already has a tip attached to it.  18% is added to beverages. even soda.  The only exception is if you have a drink pkg through HIA or other beverage pkg.  I believe these pks have the tip figured into the cost.  We do add an additional tip when getting exceptional service.  This can be done in cash or on the slip you sign.  Extra tipping is a matter of personal choice- but the waiters do appreciate it.

• Like 1

I normally travel with $50 $1 bills and tip a dollar or two as I go along, not only the bar staff but if I get room service, I tip a few dollars.  Like everyone said here, it is a personal preference and the wait staff appreciates it......

• Like 2

The service charge goes into the pool. That is for standard service and is fine with me. If a server goes above and beyond, I tip an additional amount. This amount goes directly to the server whether it be cash or an added amount on the slip they may present you to sign. If I have to go to the bar and get it myself, or if I have to go out of my way to get service, I do not tip extra. If, at the end of the cruise, a server has gone out of their way to ensure I am looked after and/or remembers my preferences, I will add an amount which is commensurate with the service they have provided. It sounds like you have this in hand so I would continue with what you are comfortable with. 

• Like 2

Got it !  You guys have answered my question.  I will do as I do on the other line we've cruised.  Thanks everyone for your input.

• Like 2