Changes in Celebrity in past 7 years

bbappel

On 7/1/2024 at 12:55 PM, bbappel said:

Thanks everyone. My expectations are that we will have a great time, whether there are 2 of us, 4 of us or 10 of us,  We are planning to travel with Bob & Linda (Ken's fraternity brother & his wife). They have booked the cruise.  We've known him for over 60 years and her for 10 by 2025. And we are hoping a few other "brothers" join us (thus the 10).  

I'm hoping there will be some fun activities, though we have aged out of trivia. Our first cruise was on Celebrity Summit in 2002 - it was my husband's "retirement" cruise. My "retirement" cruise was in 2012 to the Caribbean. It was on Eclipse I think.  

I was just curious if there was anything that would be great. I loved it when they introduced the dining on the lawn - I don't recall the name. 

I have noticed seemingly greater class distinctions being made. One thing I loved about my first Celebrity cruise was that we were all treated great. People who booked suites had a nicer cabin and probably got invited to Captain's tables and all, but there wasn't a significant difference in available space. Now it is very different. 

Despite that, I know we will have fun. It is difficult not to have a good time with Ken & Bob. They laugh often. And tell great stories. And Linda and I enjoy each other's company, feeling as if we've known each other for the same 60 years. 

IMHO there still isn't a "significant difference" in available space, particularly on S and M class.  Everyone has to eat somewhere, so having a separate dining room for suites is a wash.  Yes, the old Michael's club is now the Retreat lounge and only for suites and Zenith.  So that is one venue lost.  On some M and S classes part of the top deck is turned into a suites only area, but there is plenty of other deck space.  So on those ships there really is not that significant a difference.  On E class there is of course a whole area designed and dedicated to suites.  But at the same time, they were designed that way from the get-go so there is plenty of other space for everyone to use.  At the same time, I do get your point.  I remember when they first started having suites only areas and I could not afford a suite and it seemed elitest to me.  Over time I realized it really did not impact my ability to go to so many other places that it didn't bother me at all.  I confess though, that there was something about the "everybody being treated equally" thing that I really enjoyed when first sailing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

The reason it is over 25 pages long is that for some of us having a comfortable seat on the balcony is super important as well as what we paid for and expected when we booked!  DH and I spend literally hours, especially on sea days, relaxing and reading and just chilling on our balcony.  We cruise a lot (over 80 on Celebrity so far) and It is one of our favorite parts of cruising and Celebrity is ruining it.  So yes, my marbles are rolling all over the place and I have multiple knots in my panties!  Maybe if it mattered to you, you would as well.

So what is your opinion of the IVs?? 🤣

X, along with most other cruise lines fixed 2 out of the 3 worst things about cruising

First is the e-muster (NCL and Disney went back to traditional musters)

Second, they added Starlink for somewhat high-speed internet...Even if you're the type of person who has sailed 1000+ nights with their phone in a safe, things like family health emergencies or the ship needing to go back a day earlier than expected can happen and now you can change your flight without the internet timing out

The 3rd is the food, lower quality, has less selection, and for some reason they allow the Mast Grill to exist.  The food selection was a bit worse, then #cookiegate came along, X was in damage control mode and they reversed some of their cutbacks