New Booking Engine Pricing Transparency Model

orville99

This is quote from CA AG

"The law is simple: the price you see is the price you pay,” Attorney General Rob Bonta said on Wednesday, as his office issued long-awaited guidance about a law that applies to thousands of businesses in a wide range of sectors.

When it takes effect on July 1, the law promises to upend how many restaurants operate. Their menus will be required to list comprehensive prices for each item, with all mandatory charges baked into one figure. Only entirely optional fees — like leaving a tip for staff — can be left out of the posted price.

END of quote

Since the Cruise Planner purchases for dinners and beverage packages add an 18% gratuity, based on the CA law it must be optional.  Next time I'm on a ship I will go to guest services and see if I can have it removed.

It is ridiculous Royal should just include it in the "advertised" price

I like the new model, but for the sake of getting trip insurance, it’s a little tricky. I believe you only have to insure the price of the cruise not including taxes. In the event of cancellation taxes will be refunded. (Please correct me if I’m mistaken.)

I think someone’s suggestion of a model that shows the total price, but also indicates the amount of included taxes would be helpful. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

Now if they could just catch up to Virgin and include gratuities (and wifi).

It was nice the short time Celebrity went to all-inclusive fares. Prices overall dropped because now everyone was paying for the drink package and WiFi even if they never used them. Unfortunately it didn’t last long and prices went up immediately reflecting this change. Celebrity still gives you the option to pay for everything up front when booking a cruise, but it is no longer a good deal like it was for several months. 

My TA started including everything a while ago.  Makes it so much easier to price the cruise out. 

For one, you no longer have to go through a whole Faux booking to get the total of the cruise.  So nice, especially, when pricing more than one stateroom or category. 

The first page, with the dollar amount for each starting price per category, is all that you need to get a ball park figure.  Then if you upgrade the category, within that same category, you add. 

It's icing on the cake when you get to the total and see that there was a reduction for your state, age, C&A status, etc.  I saw nice surprises from my TA when booking a cruise last night.

Edited by Iamthesea