How would this work on Carnival?

21 hours ago, Taters said:

You might want to call Carnival to request a table for 2. 

I called Carnival.

Very helpful.

I could visit with the dining room staff prior to dinner and ask for a table for two.....I could also provide a note on my cruise booking to request a table for two (but not confirmed).  

I've reached out to the TA to add the "table for two" request....

Also, I was told that having "fixed dining" is better for obtaining a table for two rather than having open seating.  

Thanks to all for the helpful intel......We look forward to our cruise and our table for two. 

• Like 2

On 7/2/2024 at 10:11 AM, FlaMariner said:

It's been awhile since we boarded a Carnival ship.....We have booked passage on the Panorama reposition cruise from Singapore this fall......Can folks help us out on how these situations roll on Carnival?  Holland America Line is our reference point. 

• We prefer fixed dining (same time, same table for two, same waiters).  We have early dining but no reference to a table for two.  Will I be able to get a table for two, same time, same waiters for the cruise?  We'd like to not stand in line each evening and simply head to our table.
  • We enjoy wine at dinner.  Are there reasonably priced wine bottle packages?  Or how best economically to enjoy wine at dinner?
  • We like the thermal suite.  I do not see that it is available to purchase online in the spa listings.  Any intel on the price and the experience?
  • We enjoy the unlimited laundry service and we send out dirty clothes daily.  Is that available on Carnival and how much?
  •  

As soon as you get your S &  S card, it will have your dining room and table information. Go and check out your table, IF you want a change, go to the Maitre 'd right away. We have always been able to get a change when we have wanted one, in one case not until the second night. 

There will be wine packages for sale usually outside the dining rooms and you can ask your waiter at dinner the first night. If you have Cheers package, wine by the glass is included up to a certain price point and then there is a discounted price.

Check the deck plan and information for your ship on the website; there might not be thermal suites available. 

Unlimited  free laundry is available to diamonds; 3 free bags for plats; laundry is available for a charge otherwise. Ask your steward. 

On 7/2/2024 at 10:11 AM, FlaMariner said:

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Also, I was told that having "fixed dining" is better for obtaining a table for two rather than having open seating.  

Interesting, because that does not line up with my experience after 25+ Carnival cruises. You said you "were told" that - who told you?

You can always request a table for two with Your Time Dining (which is what I assume you mean by "open seating").  You can even request the same dining room team each time.  In contrast, there is no guarantee that you will get a table for two with fixed dining.  You can put in a request, but they may not be able to honor it - especially on a cruise like yours that will have many, many people whose requests will take priority over yours.

2 minutes ago, simplelife said:

As soon as you get your S &  S card, it will have your dining room and table information. Go and check out your table, IF you want a change, go to the Maitre 'd right away. We have always been able to get a change when we have wanted one, in one case not until the second night. 

That is exactly what we will do!

thanks for the info.

1 minute ago, staceyglow said:

Interesting, because that does not line up with my experience after 25+ Carnival cruises. You said you "were told" that - who told you?

Called Carnival today....that was from the Carnival employee who answered the 800# this morning....

As someone mentioned, there will be a lot of Platinum and Diamond level on this long sailing. Anytime dining on these cruises can be a nightmare and looooong wait for a table as Plat & Dia get first priority and they get bumped ahead of you in line. We did a Journeys cruise when we were Gold and most nights it took over an hour wait for a table. I would definitely do fixed time dining. If you don't get a table for two, it will be with the same assigned guests for the whole trip, but not everyone always shows up.

The thermal suite - we really like the various steam and sauna rooms that are available and I usually visit them almost every day when we have a pass. The thalassotherapy pool (big hot tub) is smaller on this ship class than the original ones on the Dream class (our favorite spa setup), but we were usually able to find space eventually if not always exactly when we wanted. 

As for the price, they usually sell a day pass (on-board), a solo pass and a couples pass. The cruise-long passes often don't show up to purchase pre-cruise until you are a month or two from sailing. I just checked for my upcoming 6 day cruise and they have a 6 day pass for $149 pp and no couples pass listed yet. It's been a while since we purchased one that way but I'm pretty sure the couples pass is cheaper than two singles passes. What we usually do is try to book a "spa room". They come with the pass and are usually cheaper to upgrade from a standard room than the price of the pass.

You may be able to call Carnival or whoever you booked with and see what the cost is to change your room to a Spa cabin.

Edited by grantbob
spelling and grammer errors

On 7/5/2024 at 11:54 AM, FlaMariner said:

Called Carnival today....that was from the Carnival employee who answered the 800# this morning....

Quite frankly, that employee was wrong (and it's not rare to get someone on the phone who doesn't give the correct information). You can always get a table for 2 with Your Time Dining. You may just have to wait a bit. There is never a guarantee with set dining.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grantbob said:

As someone mentioned, there will be a lot of Platinum and Diamond level on this long sailing. Anytime dining on these cruises can be a nightmare and looooong wait for a table as Plat & Dia get first priority and they get bumped ahead of you in line. We did a Journeys cruise when we were Gold and most nights it took over an hour wait for a table. 

I am not sure that Diamonds and Plats get priority once you have checked in for YTD,   Diamonds and Plats get priority as far as your initial dining choice (Early, Late, or YTD), but I am almost certain that getting seated for YTD is based on when you check in and the size of your party, not your status.

Journeys cruises have longer waits because they skew older, and older people (myself included 😁) tend to want to eat earlier.  As a result, there is a huge flurry of check-ins right when the system opens up, resulting in longer waits if you want to eat before 7:00 or so.  

• Like 1

Visit with the Maitre de, slip him a $20.Thank him for looking out for you. See what happens. You'd be surprised how cash trumps cruise line status. The mans working to support his family. If it's a longer cruise, hit him with another $20. The mans looking out for you.

Geez, these kids today, I gotta explain everything.