Pls review my plans for Encore to Alaska

Calicoskies1234

I’ve been appointed cruise director of our group, all newbies except for me…I have only been on ONE cruise. I’ve got resv for Seattle Express shuttle on Embarkation Day at 10am to get us to Pier 66, we are near the airport at hotel. We have pier time 11am.

— Made Cagneys resv for Embark Day, 530pm (May attempt a later resv time once onboard, but some of us want to see Beatles in Theater 730 that night) and have Teppanyaki resv Fri night. 

—When first on ship go to Deck 6 The Social to make Choir of Man resv, correct?

—Right after making show resv go to Teppanyaki for MDR resv for 5 nights, correct? Can you resv Taste/Savor too or only ManH Rm? We want dinner resv so we can all plan when to meet up if/when we split off, plus hv 8 in our group. 

Questions I have:

In Juneau we have private whale tour with a pickup at 3pm, we dock 2:30-10pm. Jayleen’s say will pick us up at dock, is this time realistic for meeting her at 3pm? How does disembark work when you have independent excursion planned? We just walk off or are there timed groups? Any idea how far the walk is from town to pier, after Whale tour want to get dinner. Suggestions? Gold Creek Salmon Bake any good or just a tourist attraction? 

In Skagway docked 7-815pm. We have independent resv with Chilkoot for 730am Train+Bennet Lake, again will we be able to meet train at 730am? Distance to train from port? I’ve read to sit on left side heading up? What time does breakfast services on Encore start? Tour ends 3pm, how far to walk from Chilkoot station to visit town? Suggestions for in town dinner?

Ketchikan docked 7-115pm, we booked excursion with NCL, Totem Bight SP/Lumberjack show, so I understand the ship won’t leave without us as time is tight. Will we have any time to walk thru town/get snack/shop?

I ask about walking bc we are an older group, all able to walk, but at a pace of 28-30 min mile. 

Thanks in advance for comments and suggestions that will help me know what to expect and lead my group to a fun trip. 

4 minutes ago, Calicoskies1234 said:

I’ve been appointed cruise director of our group, all newbies except for me…I have only been on ONE cruise. I’ve got resv for Seattle Express shuttle on Embarkation Day at 10am to get us to Pier 66, we are near the airport at hotel. We have pier time 11am.

— Made Cagneys resv for Embark Day, 530pm (May attempt a later resv time once onboard, but some of us want to see Beatles in Theater 730 that night) and have Teppanyaki resv Fri night. 

—When first on ship go to Deck 6 The Social to make Choir of Man resv, correct?

—Right after making show resv go to Teppanyaki for MDR resv for 5 nights, correct? Can you resv Taste/Savor too or only ManH Rm? We want dinner resv so we can all plan when to meet up if/when we split off, plus hv 8 in our group. 

Questions I have:

In Juneau we have private whale tour with a pickup at 3pm, we dock 2:30-10pm. Jayleen’s say will pick us up at dock, is this time realistic for meeting her at 3pm? How does disembark work when you have independent excursion planned? We just walk off or are there timed groups? Any idea how far the walk is from town to pier, after Whale tour want to get dinner. Suggestions? Gold Creek Salmon Bake any good or just a tourist attraction? 

In Skagway docked 7-815pm. We have independent resv with Chilkoot for 730am Train+Bennet Lake, again will we be able to meet train at 730am? Distance to train from port? I’ve read to sit on left side heading up? What time does breakfast services on Encore start? Tour ends 3pm, how far to walk from Chilkoot station to visit town? Suggestions for in town dinner?

Ketchikan docked 7-115pm, we booked excursion with NCL, Totem Bight SP/Lumberjack show, so I understand the ship won’t leave without us as time is tight. Will we have any time to walk thru town/get snack/shop?

I ask about walking bc we are an older group, all able to walk, but at a pace of 28-30 min mile. 

Thanks in advance for comments and suggestions that will help me know what to expect and lead my group to a fun trip. 

#1 Don't forget that everyone will need to check in to their muster station!

3 minutes ago, Calicoskies1234 said:

Oh yes, I’ve told them that. After muster I’m sending them all to lunch while I go to Deck 6 for resv. Also told them to carryon what they need to freshen up for dinner as bags may not have delivered by then. 

Based on our experience, you will need everyone's card to sign up for a show. That is not the case for dining reservations.

Choir of man reservations will be available on Day 21 at the same time you do your online check in. 

I have not read any recent reports on the Encore in Skagway. They were supposed to move from the Railway dock to the Ore dock. The walk could be long depending on where you pick up the train on your private tour. 

Juneau, just walk off the ship when she docks if your meeting point is at the dock. Remember that the Encore uses the AJ dock which is a mile from the main cruise ship dock. Make sure that your tour provider. Is picking you up at the ship and not the main cruise ship dock in town. 

Cagney on day 1 is ok. But you will miss the beautiful sailaway from Seattle. (You’ll catch a little, then rush down to dinner). 

• Like 1

I did the same tour with Chilkoot in 2012 and they picked us up in the parking lot just outside the port area - we were at the ore dock, we then went over to the rr dock and picked up some more pax. We then drove up the highway to meet the train on the outskirts of town. Being with Chillkoot you will be in your own car at the end of the train. When I went there were only 5 of us so it was great. The van driver met us in Carcross and let us walk around a bit an buy an ice cream cone from the local general store, We then went to Emerald Lake and back to Skagway stopping at various places along the way dodging all of the Princess and NCL tour busses.

We did the same tour in Ketchikan this past September. No, you will not have time to meander in town. You go straight from lumberjack show back to the bus back to Ward’s Cove. We did have a small amount of time for shopping in the small store at the totem pole park as well as in the giant building at the port, but that was it.