Recommended district in Lisbon to stay

We have only been to Lisbon once on a port stop. We will be embarking late March and have only two nights (unless different miles open up) with a late night arrival. We would like to take advantage of the one full day we have by exploring Lisbon. In looking at a map, I noticed that there are multiple districts. I would appreciate recommendations on a couple districts that would be ideal so that I can begin the hotel search. Thank you in advance 

56 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

I would appreciate recommendations on a couple districts that would be ideal so that I can begin the hotel search. Thank you in advance 

We know the city well. and will do tomorrow. zzzzz😀

• Like 1

Marazul, Seabourn Lisbon departure 3/27. 12 night and looking forward to a different itinerary than some places we have previously been. 
edinburgher…..zzzz here too! Thank you. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, marazul said:

Avenida da Liberdade has very nice hotels.

Which cruise are you on? We will also be there at the end of March.

We stayed there for three nights about 5 years ago.  Happy with the location. 

5 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Marazul, Seabourn Lisbon departure 3/27. 12 night and looking forward to a different itinerary than some places we have previously been. 
edinburgher…..zzzz here too! Thank you.

Venture. We depart 3/26.

I thought we might be on the same cruise.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

I would appreciate recommendations on a couple districts that would be ideal so that I can begin the hotel search

VV we ported in Lisbon 5 or 6 times before deciding to spend time there on a land trip/city break after deciding it is one of our favourite cities and that here was more sightseeing we could do both in and out of the city without being restricted by ship times.  

Knowing how very steep many of the streets there are, and with five days there, we wanted somewhere on more level ground which we could easily stroll and settled on the Baixa District which is super convenient for everything including dining and all forms of transport.  There is also good public transport to and from the airport including the airport shuttle bus, should you not want a taxi. Anywhere close to Praca  da Figueira  where much of the transport is located would be perfect for easy DIY sightseeing.   Unfortunately I cannot recommend our aparthotel at the P. da Figuiera end of Rua da Prata as it was a victim of the pandemic and has since closed,despite being part of a locally owned hotel group, but the following threads might be a good starting point. which day of the week will you be there?

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2896693-tours-from-lisbon/#comment-65351636   post #7

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2998813-porto-lisbon/#comment-67374209 Posts 13 and 14

Edited by edinburgher

16 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

We have only been to Lisbon once on a port stop. We will be embarking late March and have only two nights (unless different miles open up) with a late night arrival. We would like to take advantage of the one full day we have by exploring Lisbon. In looking at a map, I noticed that there are multiple districts. I would appreciate recommendations on a couple districts that would be ideal so that I can begin the hotel search. Thank you in advance 

Two years ago we stayed at the Tivoli. It’s a wonderful hotel. We will probably be there again next year. 

Our favorite Lisbon Hotel is the Avenida Palace. The included breakfast is amazing and served in a gorgeous room.  It’s an elegant hotel at reasonable prices 

The Tivoli is almost right across Avenue Liberdad from the Avenida Palace. That location is great. There is a variety of restaurants in this area, you are close to the train station, the metro, and bus lines. 

Lisbon is a terrific city. 

• Like 1

Thank you for these suggestions. I really appreciate all the input. 
edinburgher we arrive on a Monday and sail on Wednesday. I am hoping more mileage opportunities open up prior so we can extend it 1-2 more nights. Thank you for the thread links. 

Marazul, we sail one day apart!  You are on the Andalusian Nights itinerary. Venture will be a different, but amazing, experience. Thanks for the hotel tip. 

ChansenDeLaMe, thank you as well. 

Olliebertsmum, thank you for your recommendation. 

We are looking forward to exploring Lisbon a bit. Only one full day will not be enough, so I will need to prioritize what we can see, and hope to return again. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Vineyard View said:

Thanks for acknowledging as not every does.

Mondays can be tricky as some museums etc will close, so when deciding which sights/attractions to visit, check  opening and closing days in addition to opening hours.

BTW, the Baixa District is convenient for the docking locations.

And for a first visit, the visitlisboa.com official city website is a great starting point as the more you look into it the more you will find., including how to use public transport. Many others too of course including the usual Tripadvisor, YouTube, Rick Steves, Frommer's and others.  And past threads which you can find using the SEARCH tool.

As there is way too much to choose from for a single day, you will need to focus only on the sights/attractions, viewpoints, museums etc which appeal to your personal interests- and plan for a return future visit..

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

edinburgher we arrive on a Monday and sail on Wednesday. I am hoping more mileage opportunities open up prior so we can extend it 1-2 more nights. Thank you for the thread links. 

Marazul, we sail one day apart!  You are on the Andalusian Nights itinerary. Venture will be a different, but amazing, experience. Thanks for the hotel tip. 

ChansenDeLaMe, thank you as well. 

Olliebertsmum, thank you for your recommendation. 

We are looking forward to exploring Lisbon a bit. Only one full day will not be enough, so I will need to prioritize what we can see, and hope to return again. 

VV - Just saying - March 27 is a Thursday.  You had me going since we sail on a Wednesday! Could it be that you have two days in Lisbon?  

All the palaces in Sintra are open every day.  They only close Christmas and New Year's.  The Jeronimos monastery in Lisbon is closed on Mondays.  Don't miss doing a tuk-tuk tour of Lisbon.  They take you through Alfama and other neighborhoods where cars barely fit in the streets.  If you can, go to a fado restaurant to enjoy the music.

1 hour ago, marazul said:

VV - Just saying - March 27 is a Thursday.  You had me going since we sail on a Wednesday! Could it be that you have two days in Lisbon?  

All the palaces in Sintra are open every day.  They only close Christmas and New Year's.  The Jeronimos monastery in Lisbon is closed on Mondays.  Don't miss doing a tuk-tuk tour of Lisbon.  They take you through Alfama and other neighborhoods where cars barely fit in the streets.  If you can, go to a fado restaurant to enjoy the music.

Well, I sure did screw that one up!  My brain was thinking hotel nights. Right now we arrive late night on the 25th, but my goal is to find a flight using miles at last one day earlier. Thank you for the catch! 
I appreciate these recommendations very much. Guessing I can find a tuk tuk pretty easily. I will check into fado restaurants. I saw something about that, but did not realize what fado is until I looked it up after reading this - so thanks much! 

50 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Well, I sure did screw that one up!  My brain was thinking hotel nights. Right now we arrive late night on the 25th, but my goal is to find a flight using miles at last one day earlier. Thank you for the catch! 
I appreciate these recommendations very much. Guessing I can find a tuk tuk pretty easily. I will check into fado restaurants. I saw something about that, but did not realize what fado is until I looked it up after reading this - so thanks much! 

There are tuk-tuk stands all over the place down Avenida Liberdade and elsewhere. The concierge at the hotel called us one and they charged it to the room. Same price. 

For fado, look at:

Tasca do Chico - in Alfama, closed Mondays and Tuesdays

Tasca do Chico - in Chiado, open nightly

Tasca da Bela - in Alfama, closed Mondays and Tuesdays

A Tasquinha Canto do Fado - in Mouraria. Show starts at 8 which is early in Lisbon

Sr. Fado - in Alfama, open nightly

Most fado restaurants/bars don't accept credit cards.  Cash only.