Maitre'd Times on Embarkation

LEESRE

Does anyone know what times the Maitre'd is in the restaurant on Embarkation day please, for Freedom Diners.

They are usually there to answer questions etc about Freedom Dining. At one time you could book a time for Freedom Dining for the whole cruise, is this still the case?

I am well aware that you can book either first or second sitting, but I am asking the question about Freedom Dining, thanks.

For Open dining I can't see the point in seeing the maître d'. If you are on Fixed dining you get a fixed table, so you can see the maître d' if you are unhappy with the allocation. But on Open Dining the table will be different with every dinner (as it would be for breakfast and lunch in Britannia).  The point about Open Dining is that you turn up at a time of your choosing. You can use myvoyage on your phone / tablet / laptop to get an allocated slot for a given day, but that process is actually separate from the table allocation process, all it does is spread the workload around at an overall level. When you arrive in your stateroom there will be a card with a suggested arrival time, but you are free to ignore that, and the front desk won't know anything about it anyway.

By all means clarify a little more about your question, for a better answer.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, LEESRE said:

Does anyone know what times the Maitre'd is in the restaurant on Embarkation day please, for Freedom Diners.

They are usually there to answer questions etc about Freedom Dining. At one time you could book a time for Freedom Dining for the whole cruise, is this still the case?

I am well aware that you can book either first or second sitting, but I am asking the question about Freedom Dining, thanks.

You can’t book a set time or table on Freedom Dining. There is usually a queue of people wanting to change their fixed allocations so not sure it would be a good use of your time. You would need to keep your dining choice for the whole cruise eg Fixed or Freedom. 

Thank you for your comments, but I did say I am well aware of the first and second dining times.

On previous QV cruises even though we were Freedom dining we were able to say to the Maitre'd a time. On our 10 day cruise last December we had the same table for 7 of the 10 nights.

So no more answers please about fixed time dining.

Please note re clarification re my question, I did only ask if anyone knew of the times the Maitre'd was at his podium on Embarkation day.

According to the daily programme that Pushpit so helpfully provided on the latest Live thread, the Maitre D was (on that cruise) available between 1.30pm and 3.30pm for seating enquiries. There is of course no telling whether this will be the same for your cruise, but it will likely be similar. 

Yes it does actually vary between sailings and ships, and there is usually someone on the front desk up until the captain's safety drill announcement, which is usually in the 4pm / 4:30pm area, however the Daily Programme gives a shorter window. On Sunday's QA, this is the exact wording.

Britannia Restaurant/Britannia Club seating enquiries
Britannia Club, Deck 2 (Club guests only) and Britannia Restaurant, Deck 3 will be open from 1.30pm to 3.30pm for seating enquiries. A seating card will be placed in your stateroom or suite during embarkation. Kindly note that table assignments have been allocated by the fare type and the date you booked your voyage; the Maitre d'Hotel will be following the company policy. Please refer to your booking terms and conditions. Guests who have selected Early or Late Dining are kindly asked to use the Britannia Restaurant Deck 2 (lower level) only. Should you wish to join guests on the Open Dining during your voyage, please inform the Maitre d'Hôtel in advance. Guests who have selected Open Dining are politely requested to use only the Britannia Restaurant Deck 3 (Upper level) during dinner service.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pushpit said:

A seating card will be placed in your stateroom or suite during embarkation

Am I missing something here - I didn't realise that suite passengers used the Britannia restaurants.😕

23 minutes ago, david63 said:

Am I missing something here - I didn't realise that suite passengers used the Britannia restaurants.😕

Well they can of course, but only for breakfast and lunch.

23 hours ago, Pushpit said:

please inform the Maitre d'Hôtel…

I suppose if the full term is used it must be said with a French accent.  As opposed to mayter dee.

My arrival time is 2:45pm (on the QE to Alaska) so by the time I board, the maitre d' may no longer be there. Any advice on where to go/who to talk to in this case if I have any concerns with my dining arrangements? Thanks

As mentioned above in post 11, there is likely to be someone at the Restaurant front desk until the captain's safety drill, and that drill isn't supposed to happen until everyone is onboard. If that doesn't work out, then it's quite ok to negotiate the fixed table arrangements at your first meal. They can't really have everyone doing this on that first evening, hence the earlier arrangement, and in any case you may be OK with your allocated table, as mentioned on your card in your stateroom.

• Thanks 1