High price for Deluxe Drink Package - on the fence

26 minutes ago, CSMITHFL said:

Great thread so far. We are Loyal to Royal and every cruise we've bought the DP. Our 9 NT New England in Aug 2024 is 5 days in port and balance at sea. The cost does vary with the sales discount up until embark. I've always been to chicken to wait and try for better deals on the ship. Has anyone seen an advantage to waiting until the day of or second day of the cruise to buy the package? I'm assuming the cost of a standard cocktail is $14; what is the cost of a domestic beer? 

$7-9

19 hours ago, moviegal said:

no anger at wasting money and no obligation to drink them if I don't like them,

But if you don't drink enough, you're "wasting money", and there's no obligation to finish a drink purchased ala carte.

1 hour ago, CSMITHFL said:

I've always been to chicken to wait and try for better deals on the ship. Has anyone seen an advantage to waiting until the day of or second day of the cruise to buy the package? I'm assuming the cost of a standard cocktail is $14; what is the cost of a domestic beer? 

Lots of reports lately that Royal has stopped offering any onboard discount for buying the package on either day 1 or day 2.  My friend was on Radiance for two weeks ending this past weekend and he said if you wanted the package it was full price, other than the C&A discount offers that D+ and Pinnacle have.  A “popular Royal Caribbean” fan website reported it was not offered on three other ships recently - Icon, Freedom, and Enchantment.  It would seem they are either eliminating it or testing reaction and bar sales impact.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Anton said:

Lots of reports lately that Royal has stopped offering any onboard discount for buying the package on either day 1 or day 2.  My friend was on Radiance for two weeks ending this past weekend and he said if you wanted the package it was full price, other than the C&A discount offers that D+ and Pinnacle have.  A “popular Royal Caribbean” fan website reported it was not offered on three other ships recently - Icon, Freedom, and Enchantment.  It would seem they are either eliminating it or testing reaction and bar sales impact.

When I was on Independence a few weeks ago they were still selling the standard buy one get one 50 percent off the second one. Of  course this is never that great a deal because the “full price” on the ship is usually significantly higher than the full price online (no matter what the current sale offer is). 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

When I was on Independence a few weeks ago they were still selling the standard buy one get one 50 percent off the second one. Of  course this is never that great a deal because the “full price” on the ship is usually significantly higher than the full price online (no matter what the current sale offer is). 

Thanks everyone for the drink package advice. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2024 at 12:56 PM, scubaslayer said:

And yes I sleep just fine after all of that caffeine at work but more importantly I am awake for my commute to and from and the entire 12 hour shift on my feet.

Consider yourself VERY lucky (and unusual/exceptional: most caffeine studies show very few people have that level of tolerance). I love coffee but I can't drink more than 2 cups a day without having serious sleep problems. And my sleep is VERY important to me.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2024 at 12:04 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

We're on the Independence OTS over Christmas. I snapped up the package when it was 30% off. One thing that is standard with Royal is you can't assume the price of the package based on sail date, itinerary or duration, or even ship. It all varies. I'd love to save even more than 30% but the price I paid is reasonable, so I'll probably stick with it.

20 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

30% off can be a different price every week though, since the base price changes.

A 25% off sale may well end up being a better deal than a 30% off sale.

Exactly. For instance, the "base price" when I bought the package at 30% off was $110 pppd, and now the base is $115 pppd, with a BOGO that ends up costing $85.99. Only one of us is getting the package and she doesn't drink much anyway, so no way we're doing that.