Almost Live … this time a polar track: NCL Star, Reykjavik to NYC 27 Jul-8Aug 2024

4 hours ago, rritter25 said:

I just returned from the same itinerary on Saturday, July 13th. I'm not sure if you are aware, but our itinerary was changed at the last minute. They removed the 2 ports on Greenland and substituted Nuuk instead due to too much ice in the ports. They also removed one port in Iceland so we ended up with an extra at sea day. We did see icebergs, and there was heavy fog and high winds. I would recommending bringing warm layers, gloves, hat, and either hiking boots or shoes. Most dressed very casually on the ship except those I saw getting special family portraits done. Let me know if anyone has questions and I'll be happy to reply back. Enjoy your trip!

Did you need the bug netting that others have talked about?

@rritter25

Hi & thanks for sharing that info and for popping in on my trip report (to be).

Yes, I was following reports of your cruise. Did you do a review or trip report? If so, would you mind linking?

So sorry your itinerary got changed and you missed out on 3 good ports. After hearing about the changes, I went and found some ice pack maps - both Qaqortoq & Nanortalik had a lot of ice but several other ships were able to make port during those days. I think it depended on the ship, the company and the captain 😜

There’s quite a bit of comments, links, maps and photos from our roll call on your situation… as well as conjecture about what we will get, found buried here in our roll call:

We did a 21 day Faroes, Iceland & Greenland cruise 11Jul - 1Aug in 2017 (wow, didn’t realize it was so long ago!) and had fantastic weather every port day (1 medium rough sea day). Really surprised how good it was … and it was our 1st cruise to boot (well other than a 4 day weekend NCL “booze cruise” to see if we got sea sick or not before booking the 21-days). Fingers crossed 🤞 we get just as lucky this time … and that I won’t need the gloves, hat and warm layers on this trip either! 

recent reports are the ice in Qaqortoq harbor is breaking up, again 🤞

Posted (edited)
On 7/15/2024 at 9:36 AM, BRC6C said:

Thanks for starting this @ColdCruise! We are on this sailing as well and also flying Play. I just bought a new rain jacket/windbreaker and and working on figuring out the correct layers to stay warm and dry.

id recommend waterPROOF rain pants as well @BRC6C - REI has a couple that are rain & wind proof that can go on over your regular pants and one of the pairs I have unsnap along the side seams so they’re easy on/off as needed and pack down small (and for PLAY weight restrictions are light). Iceland can be very windy !

I have a pretty good packing list for polar/near polar travel. I’m very casual on vacation and get a couple wears for most things (except the obvious). It doesn’t hurt that we’re both platinum so get a couple free laundry bags per cruise, so reduces packing.

A lightweight merino wool, long sleeve T-shirt is good (I like Smartwool’s 100 series cuz I don’t want to bulk up) and I also bring 1 or 2 of Costco’s 32 Degree undershirts and tights - thin for layering, lightweight, pack small but add warmth. Plus the 32 Deg hand wash and dry overnight and merino doesn’t hold body odors, so if they need to be worn more than once as a layer, it’s all good. I have put on some weight this past year (trying…unsuccessfully..to loose) so thin layers are essential as I don’t want to buy a bunch of larger clothes. I WILL loose that extra poundage some day!

as @rritter25 said, a hat & gloves might be handy. Didn’t need them in that 21-day I mentioned earlier but ya never know. I needed them on other trips. They’re in my packing pile. I also have a pair of Merrel hiking shoes (most boots rub my boney ankles) that are waterproof- I’ll wear those on the plane and bring sneakers and recovery sandals, maybe a pair of flats. A polar fleece, scarf or buff, a puffer jacket, a raincoat. Of course bathing suit for the pools -probably doing Myvatn and there’s an outdoor hot tub/sauna at our pre cruise hotel

And the bug netting @300dtc mentioned! We did need that at Myvatn one trip and didn’t have it in Qaqortoq and desperately needed it. I think our ship bought out the towns entire supply …but not everyone got to the market in time 😜

Edited by ColdCruise

On 7/15/2024 at 9:16 AM, rritter25 said:

I just returned from the same itinerary on Saturday, July 13th. I'm not sure if you are aware, but our itinerary was changed at the last minute. They removed the 2 ports on Greenland and substituted Nuuk instead due to too much ice in the ports. They also removed one port in Iceland so we ended up with an extra at sea day. We did see icebergs, and there was heavy fog and high winds. I would recommending bringing warm layers, gloves, hat, and either hiking boots or shoes. Most dressed very casually on the ship except those I saw getting special family portraits done. Let me know if anyone has questions and I'll be happy to reply back. Enjoy your trip!

We are thinking of doing the Star itinerary next summer that goes to Nuuk. What did you do there?

On 7/16/2024 at 10:44 PM, ColdCruise said:

id recommend waterPROOF rain pants as well @BRC6C - REI has a couple that are rain & wind proof that can go on over your regular pants and one of the pairs I have unsnap along the side seams so they’re easy on/off as needed and pack down small (and for PLAY weight restrictions are light). Iceland can be very windy !

I have a pretty good packing list for polar/near polar travel. I’m very casual on vacation and get a couple wears for most things (except the obvious). It doesn’t hurt that we’re both platinum so get a couple free laundry bags per cruise, so reduces packing.

A lightweight merino wool, long sleeve T-shirt is good (I like Smartwool’s 100 series cuz I don’t want to bulk up) and I also bring 1 or 2 of Costco’s 32 Degree undershirts and tights - thin for layering, lightweight, pack small but add warmth. Plus the 32 Deg hand wash and dry overnight and merino doesn’t hold body odors, so if they need to be worn more than once as a layer, it’s all good. I have put on some weight this past year (trying…unsuccessfully..to loose) so thin layers are essential as I don’t want to buy a bunch of larger clothes. I WILL loose that extra poundage some day!

as @rritter25 said, a hat & gloves might be handy. Didn’t need them in that 21-day I mentioned earlier but ya never know. I needed them on other trips. They’re in my packing pile. I also have a pair of Merrel hiking shoes (most boots rub my boney ankles) that are waterproof- I’ll wear those on the plane and bring sneakers and recovery sandals, maybe a pair of flats. A polar fleece, scarf or buff, a puffer jacket, a raincoat. Of course bathing suit for the pools -probably doing Myvatn and there’s an outdoor hot tub/sauna at our pre cruise hotel

And the bug netting @300dtc mentioned! We did need that at Myvatn one trip and didn’t have it in Qaqortoq and desperately needed it. I think our ship bought out the towns entire supply …but not everyone got to the market in time 😜

What is bug netting and why do you need it?

3 hours ago, Candy Apple 12 said:

We are thinking of doing the Star itinerary next summer that goes to Nuuk. What did you do there?

What is bug netting and why do you need it?

When we went to Nuuk in 2017, we walked from the port area (industrial port) up the side of a cliff to the town. That ship did not have any transport laid on for people not on excursions. So everyone walked - most passengers were British and I think they (or majority on our ship) were just bigger walkers than people I usually find on NCL ships. Greenland is a great walking around cruise itinerary. 

After we got up to town level, we walked around meandering our way over to the Ethnographic museum and spent several hours there. It was a great museum - some geography & some geology about the island formation,a lot of information on prehistoric migrations and how the island was settled by Inuit ancestral people like the Thule etc. very good displays.  Similar to the type of displays you could find at the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History. 

I think we were in Nuuk on a Sunday because I remember most stores we walked by were closed. We walked around the city talking our time returning to the ship in time for dinner and sailaway. 

Bug netting to cover your head & especially your face due to the “mossies” and gnats - major excursions from Akureyri got to Myvatn (very worthwhile) … Myvatn translates to “lake of midges” - kind of like gnats. Qaqortoq in Greenland was literally swarming with mossies or gnats. We made a beeline to the store to by nets because we’d left ours behind. People who got to the Qaqortoq store late were out of luck, they’d all been purchased. This time we are bringing them. Not a fan of bugs in my eyes and mouth. Get it from Amazon or somewhere, like these:

Stansport Mosquito Head Net (709) https://a.co/d/2zaJjw4 (best worn over some type of hat)

Posted (edited)
On 7/18/2024 at 11:52 PM, Wulfwyn said:

What pier do NCL use in Reykjavik to embarkation.   We board September 1.  

Wulfwyn 

Hi @Wulfwyn

Our embarkation - its at the new cruise terminal, Skarfabakki

image.thumb.png.72d69daa3d5b88c5f987ccf4deb86cb9.png

you can see the port schedule for cruise ships as a calendar here (best with a larger screen like a tablet)

https://portal.dokk.is/embed/calendar/5

Or search here (screen capture above)

https://www.faxafloahafnir.is/en/

The 1 September pier assignment isn’t posted yet (use above link to check in a couple weeks?)

IMG_7843.thumb.png.442d55820965c272dad8d730ee0987a2.png

Edited by ColdCruise
Added 1 Sep info

19 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

When we went to Nuuk in 2017, we walked from the port area (industrial port) up the side of a cliff to the town. That ship did not have any transport laid on for people not on excursions. So everyone walked - most passengers were British and I think they (or majority on our ship) were just bigger walkers than people I usually find on NCL ships. Greenland is a great walking around cruise itinerary. 

After we got up to town level, we walked around meandering our way over to the Ethnographic museum and spent several hours there. It was a great museum - some geography & some geology about the island formation,a lot of information on prehistoric migrations and how the island was settled by Inuit ancestral people like the Thule etc. very good displays.  Similar to the type of displays you could find at the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History. 

I think we were in Nuuk on a Sunday because I remember most stores we walked by were closed. We walked around the city talking our time returning to the ship in time for dinner and sailaway. 

Bug netting to cover your head & especially your face due to the “mossies” and gnats - major excursions from Akureyri got to Myvatn (very worthwhile) … Myvatn translates to “lake of midges” - kind of like gnats. Qaqortoq in Greenland was literally swarming with mossies or gnats. We made a beeline to the store to by nets because we’d left ours behind. People who got to the Qaqortoq store late were out of luck, they’d all been purchased. This time we are bringing them. Not a fan of bugs in my eyes and mouth. Get it from Amazon or somewhere, like these:

Stansport Mosquito Head Net (709) https://a.co/d/2zaJjw4 (best worn over some type of hat)

Thanks. I wouldn’t have imagined it would be that buggy. I’ve been to Iceland in June once before and I don’t recall it being buggy. The bug netting won’t take up much packing space. 

Posted (edited)

The almost part is happening now

It’s been go-go-go since catching our flight from BWI. plus some IT challenges. 

Today is catch up day. 

Massive (and, fair warning, unwelcome) itinerary changes now leave me down 2 ports and with 2 additional sea days. 

In addition to the actual ports on our purchased itinerary, the other draw was that the advertised itinerary only had 3 sea days spread out between countries. There’s a big difference between a string of sea days in the middle if the Atlantic where you most likely van sit outside in balmy weather and a string of sea days in the North Atlantic (or in this case the Greenland Sea) where temps might top out in the 50s. 

On to regular programming …

Edited by ColdCruise
Capitalization
  • Like 2

Thursday 25 July

After working a partial day,I met my husband and friends at BWI airport to check in for our flight to Iceland 🇮🇸 on the relatively new airline, PLAY.

I had called PLAY a few days earlier to verify what time check in opened and was informed they open 3 hours prior to flight time and close 1 hour prior to flight. I knew they used the “rent-a-agent” service so not surprised to see an empty counter upon arrival.

IMG_7886.thumb.jpeg.b1fee3fe33bdd313de601c8cfdf5cf78.jpeg

OG 102’s departure was scheduled for 6:50 pm and the counter sign said they’d open at 4:00 pm (math is NOT fundamental, evidently). 

Absolutely no issues with our check in as we’d measured and weighed out check and cabin bags before leaving home.

Play was very strict on adherence to their limits

IMG_7885.thumb.jpeg.d7ce37f21e77ed1a7b933557fbe4097e.jpeg

I would say it also depended on which agent you got as our friends got a “woman with an attitude” who insisted one of the carryons was too big and socked them with a stiff fee to check it into the hold. That bag was about an inch taller than mine and I had ample room in the luggage sizer when I checked it while waiting for the counter to open (they did not try out the sizer). I overheard others complaining about the same agent making multiple people pay.

IMG_7889.thumb.jpeg.8e0d2f58f674c2721d54f5178599860b.jpeg

The international terminal at BWI doesn’t get a lot of action so the airport closed the separate TSA line in  terminal E a few years ago. we were semi-reassured that there was another flight to KEF after ours, just in case our plane didn’t materialize (last experience flying to KEF on Icelandair) 😁

Check in drama over, we headed for TSA screening in Terminal D. 

PLAY doesn’t participate in TSA pre-check. Luckily the lines in D were short and moved quickly. Normal routine - shoes off, electronics out, etc.

• Like 1

PLAY airline was ok, flight nearly sold out.

Warning about seat 2A - seatback doesn’t stay reclined, seat padding very compressed and hard and a significant “butt divot” that kept shifting my butt into a bad position. This is not a description of all seats as I temporarily sat in an empty aisle seat while waiting for the rest room and it was well padded.

Generous knee space in the extra room upgrade seats

IMG_7896.thumb.jpeg.174e57447fdb5cc08dcb7046fc0fecdb.jpeg

This was an Airbus 321neo, 3x3 seating. The middle seats were about an inch wider than window and aisle, in case that helps someone.

IMG_7897.thumb.jpeg.ee7ffab8977ccc347cbc71c09611853c.jpeg

In-flight services were basic but not exorbitant

IMG_7899.thumb.jpeg.bd68ea28ac3bc62e38437845ee26975a.jpeg  

IMG_7898.thumb.jpeg.42582691691c585ba9ccb1b3b2f33cc3.jpeg

• Like 2

Was that forecast for the northern latitudes?  

23 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just a heads up. Keep an eye out for the Northern Lights the next few nights. The potential is quite high, especially if you’re cruising up around Iceland and Greenland! 😁

IMG_3312.thumb.jpeg.8c27493aa582068b0087a260480d8f0a.jpeg

Was that forecast for those latitudes?  Based on our visit last July, even though the sunset at 10 or 11 pm and rose about 4am, it never really got dark so would think it would be difficult to see them. 

IMG_8253.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Was that forecast for the northern latitudes?  

Was that forecast for those latitudes?  Based on our visit last July, even though the sunset at 10 or 11 pm and rose about 4am, it never really got dark so would think it would be difficult to see them. 

IMG_8253.jpeg

Here’s an article from space.com that explains what might happen, possibly as low as the 50 degree latitude.

https://www.space.com/aurora-alert-northern-lights-july-mid-latitudes-us-europe-cannibal-cme

Here’s a link I like to use in the evening to possibly give some insight if we might see something. Just click on the arrow to the left of the gray line to start loading the latest data.

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/aurora-30-minute-forecast

On August 22, 2022, we were leaving Iceland heading towards Greenland when we saw this from our Celebrity Summit aft-facing balcony around 11:20 pm which lasted for about 15 minutes.

IMG_5964.thumb.jpeg.83e1ef89e7519c47c910438671ca587f.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1