Transportation from Ferry dock on Moorea

My ship is spending 2 nights on Papeete and then moving to Moorea for two nights. I have decided to skip Papette and spend the night on Moorea next year at the Sofitel in an over-water-bungalow.

It's my understanding that the ferry from Papeete to Moorea is walking distance from where the Koningsdam will dock and that I won't need ferry reservations since I just have an overnight bag (no car). Can someone please confirm?

I will need transportation from the ferry terminal to Sofitel and then eventually from the Sofitel to Papeto'ai to reunite with the cruise ship. I have no interest in renting a car as I will be spending all my time at the Sofitel this trip. Will there be ample taxis at the ferry to go the short distance to Sofitel or is it better to prearrange? Same question for getting from the Sofitel to Papeto'ai.

Thank you in advance!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

My ship is spending 2 nights on Papeete and then moving to Moorea for two nights. I have decided to skip Papette and spend the night on Moorea next year at the Sofitel in an over-water-bungalow.

It's my understanding that the ferry from Papeete to Moorea is walking distance from where the Koningsdam will dock and that I won't need ferry reservations since I just have an overnight bag (no car). Can someone please confirm?

I will need transportation from the ferry terminal to Sofitel and then eventually from the Sofitel to Papeto'ai to reunite with the cruise ship. I have no interest in renting a car as I will be spending all my time at the Sofitel this trip. Will there be ample taxis at the ferry to go the short distance to Sofitel or is it better to prearrange? Same question for getting from the Sofitel to Papeto'ai.

Thank you in advance!

100-200 yards from ship to ferry in PPT

Likely will be some taxi in Moorea at ferry terminal but no guarantees. You can also take the public bus, just make sure you get on the bus going counter clockwise and tell the driver to drop you off at the Sofitel. 

Reception can call you a taxi at the Sofitel to take you to Papeto'ai

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

100-200 yards from ship to ferry in PPT

Likely will be some taxi in Moorea at ferry terminal but no guarantees. You can also take the public bus, just make sure you get on the bus going counter clockwise and tell the driver to drop you off at the Sofitel. 

Reception can call you a taxi at the Sofitel to take you to Papeto'ai

Thank you. I did get a quote from Alberts for 3000xpf from the ferry to the Sofitel. Is this in line with taxi prices? If so, I'll just prearrange alberts and call it good. 

Mahalo!! 

43 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Thank you. I did get a quote from Alberts for 3000xpf from the ferry to the Sofitel. Is this in line with taxi prices? If so, I'll just prearrange alberts and call it good. 

Mahalo!! 

Taxi would be around $20

Public bus is $3  😉

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Taxi would be around $20

Public bus is $3  😉

Thank you very much:) We had a bit of a problem with taxi service last year. We prebooked a taxi via email to take us from the ship to a snorkeling excursion in Hauru. The ride to the snorkeling excursion went off without a hitch. The driver met us early in the morning at the tender dock and took us to our location.  

We made arrangements for the taxi driver to return to pick us up at 1:00 p.m. but she was a NO SHOW. Unfortunately, none of our phones worked on Moorea and the snorkeling excursion folks were gone for the day. We were stranded and it was a pretty remote area and not much traffic at all. We started walking back to the ship and luckily was able to flag down (and beg) a taxi driver to take us back to Papeto'ai tender.

Do you think this was a bit of a fluke? I am thinking of prebooking transportation to/from the same snorkeling excursion (this is a totally different day than my Sofitel stay) but prebooked seems to be quite a bit more expensive. 

How reliable are the taxi's on Moorea? Did we just get a bad driver?

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/5/2024 at 1:29 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Thank you very much:) We had a bit of a problem with taxi service last year. We prebooked a taxi via email to take us from the ship to a snorkeling excursion in Hauru. The ride to the snorkeling excursion went off without a hitch. The driver met us early in the morning at the tender dock and took us to our location.  

We made arrangements for the taxi driver to return to pick us up at 1:00 p.m. but she was a NO SHOW. Unfortunately, none of our phones worked on Moorea and the snorkeling excursion folks were gone for the day. We were stranded and it was a pretty remote area and not much traffic at all. We started walking back to the ship and luckily was able to flag down (and beg) a taxi driver to take us back to Papeto'ai tender.

Do you think this was a bit of a fluke? I am thinking of prebooking transportation to/from the same snorkeling excursion (this is a totally different day than my Sofitel stay) but prebooked seems to be quite a bit more expensive. 

How reliable are the taxi's on Moorea? Did we just get a bad driver?

Which co did you use for the snorkel at Hauru?  Was it approx 4 hr tour?  Did find any/many places where you could walk in from the beach in your South Pacific travels?  Thanks for sharing:)

I'm new to this forum, so if this post is in the wrong place, please forgive me.

I will arrive at Moorea on the Crown Princess in October, and I need some advice/info.  First of all, it appears (from other posts) our ship will tender passengers to Papetoia.  However, Princess will not verify this with me.  (They state that the itinerary won't be released until 15 days before the cruise departs.). So, here are my questions:

1) Does the Crown Princess typically tender to Papetoia?

2) Regardless of port, I need transportation (car preferably).  Can anyone share information on how to secure transportation from cruise port?  I have checked all over for cars in Papetoia, but found nothing.

3) One more question:  I would like to swim with humpback whales while in French Polynesia (I also port in Papeete).  Is it better to do this in Tahiti or Moorea?  (I know there's no guarantee either way.)

Thanks for any help you can provide!

7 hours ago, Perche no said:

I'm new to this forum, so if this post is in the wrong place, please forgive me.

I will arrive at Moorea on the Crown Princess in October, and I need some advice/info.  First of all, it appears (from other posts) our ship will tender passengers to Papetoia.  However, Princess will not verify this with me.  (They state that the itinerary won't be released until 15 days before the cruise departs.). So, here are my questions:

1) Does the Crown Princess typically tender to Papetoia?

2) Regardless of port, I need transportation (car preferably).  Can anyone share information on how to secure transportation from cruise port?  I have checked all over for cars in Papetoia, but found nothing.

3) One more question:  I would like to swim with humpback whales while in French Polynesia (I also port in Papeete).  Is it better to do this in Tahiti or Moorea?  (I know there's no guarantee either way.)

Thanks for any help you can provide!

1.  yes

2. very few cars are at the tender location, usually you need to be picked up by either Avis or Alberts. They will take you to their office/cars and do the paperwork. Alberts is closer but Avis has the better cars.

3. Moorea

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2024 at 12:02 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Thank you in advance!

Hello BermudaBound

Think we are on same Feb 2015 Cruise?  

We are also jumping ship at Papette & spending 3 nights at the Sofitel.

We're taking in the Papette Market first & will be taking ferry with Moorea arrival 2:30ish.

We are renting a car from Albert's - would offer to give you a lift to Sofitel --- but they take us directly to their rental office first & then we drive to Sofitel in the rental car.

We also plan on jumping ship in Raiatea & stay at the Tahaa Pearl Resort for one night.  Ship will be overnighting when the Peal Resort has their Dinner Buffet with Polynesian show.