Cruise out of Miami (help)

We are cruising out of Miami for the first time next March. I still am looking for flights from Canada as prices are crazy. I know that Fort Lauderdale might be cheaper, but have never been to Miami. 

Is staying on the beach a good idea. Some hotels I looked at don't have much around. I have priced some near beach cheaper than near airport.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

You are going in peak spring travel time. Very high demand. Thus the prices. Beach hotels are almost always more expensive.

If you are going to fly to FLL, stay in Ft Lauderdale. Usually cheaper.

Many threads here on hotels, restaurants and other info.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, kimlet said:

I still am looking for flights from Canada as prices are crazy.

I have no idea where you are in Ontario but many people from there fly out of Buffalo or Detroit to fly to Florida since the airfares are domestic and thus without all the international taxes and Customs fees. Many of the "low fare" airlines fly from those airports too. Check it out if its practical.

9 minutes ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

I have no idea where you are in Ontario but many people from there fly out of Buffalo or Detroit to fly to Florida since the airfares are domestic and thus without all the international taxes and Customs fees. Many of the "low fare" airlines fly from those airports too. Check it out if its practical.

I have thought of that, I prefer non stop flights. many airlines out of those airports are mostly with stops. unless you know which airlines fly non stop. thanks

19 hours ago, kimlet said:

I have thought of that, I prefer non stop flights. many airlines out of those airports are mostly with stops. unless you know which airlines fly non stop. thanks

The following airlines fly nonstop:

BUFFALO-MIAMI: American (seasonal)

BUFFALO-FORT LAUDERDALE: JetBlue, Southwest (seasonal)

DETROIT-MIAMI: American, Delta

DETROIT-FORT LAUDERDALE: Delta, Spirit

Notes:

On most airlines you can book up to 330 days in advance.

On Southwest, the booking window is currently only open until March 5th so you need to wait.

On Spirit, the booking window is currently only open until January 8th so you need to wait.

On Southwest each passenger can check-in up to 2 pieces of luggage for free. All others charge.

3 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

The following airlines fly nonstop:

BUFFALO-MIAMI: American (seasonal)

BUFFALO-FORT LAUDERDALE: JetBlue, Southwest (seasonal)

DETROIT-MIAMI: American, Delta

DETROIT-FORT LAUDERDALE: Delta, Spirit

Notes:

On most airlines you can book up to 330 days in advance.

On Southwest, the booking window is currently only open until March 5th so you need to wait.

On Spirit, the booking window is currently only open until January 8th so you need to wait.

On Southwest each passenger can check-in up to 2 pieces of luggage for free. All others charge.

Thanks that really helps a lot. Thinking of flying into Fort Lauderdale and staying in Miami the night before

• Like 1

On 7/4/2024 at 8:36 PM, kimlet said:

in one sense, you want your cake and eat it too :).  Of course you want a convenient non-stop flight from near-home to Miami, but those are the very flights for which you will likely pay a premium  As a general rule, when you try to save money you are going to get some inconvenience.    A problem that complicates things is that you are also traveling in "spring break" season which causes more bookings and higher prices.  

Keep in mind that flying to Ft Lauderdale may be a very good option.  An Uber should cost you about $45-$55 to get from FLL to most places in Miami and is about a 45 min ride.  When we cruise out of Miami, we will often just fly-in to FLL and stay in Ft Lauderdale (which we prefer to Miami).  On the morning of the cruise we grab an Uber from our hotel to the Port.

As to hotels, I would suggest booking a hotel, now, with a fully refundable rate.  As your trip becomes closer, you can look for better hotel options, but you will have the security of knowing that you have a reservation at a decent price.  We have never found a great "bargain: hotel in the Miami area.  You can get better prices (and some very nice hotels) near the airport, but that is not ideal if you want to be in a fun neighborhood.   But just like with your air problem, you are talking spring break time and many hotels tend to increase their prices during that time of the year.

Hank

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

in one sense, you want your cake and eat it too :).  Of course you want a convenient non-stop flight from near-home to Miami, but those are the very flights for which you will likely pay a premium  As a general rule, when you try to save money you are going to get some inconvenience.    A problem that complicates things is that you are also traveling in "spring break" season which causes more bookings and higher prices.  

Keep in mind that flying to Ft Lauderdale may be a very good option.  An Uber should cost you about $45-$55 to get from FLL to most places in Miami and is about a 45 min ride.  When we cruise out of Miami, we will often just fly-in to FLL and stay in Ft Lauderdale (which we prefer to Miami).  On the morning of the cruise we grab an Uber from our hotel to the Port.

As to hotels, I would suggest booking a hotel, now, with a fully refundable rate.  As your trip becomes closer, you can look for better hotel options, but you will have the security of knowing that you have a reservation at a decent price.  We have never found a great "bargain: hotel in the Miami area.  You can get better prices (and some very nice hotels) near the airport, but that is not ideal if you want to be in a fun neighborhood.   But just like with your air problem, you are talking spring break time and many hotels tend to increase their prices during that time of the year.

Hank

Thanks for all your advice. I found reasonable hotel on the beach in Miami for good price, but haven't booked it yet. 

I might fly into FLL and just go to Miami the day of or cruise day.

57 minutes ago, kimlet said:

Thanks for all your advice. I found reasonable hotel on the beach in Miami for good price, but haven't booked it yet. 

As has been posted, there are no beach front hotels in Miami. That would be, next door, Miami Beach, which is separated from Miami by Biscayne Bay.    No issue with staying in Miami Beach, but reasonably priced hotels are often "reasonably priced" for a reason.  I actually like parts of Miami Beach, but location does matter :).  I suspect that for you, a hotel decision will await until you find the best air deal (into either FLL or MIA).

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

As has been posted, there are no beach front hotels in Miami. That would be, next door, Miami Beach, which is separated from Miami by Biscayne Bay.    No issue with staying in Miami Beach, but reasonably priced hotels are often "reasonably priced" for a reason.  I actually like parts of Miami Beach, but location does matter :).  I suspect that for you, a hotel decision will await until you find the best air deal (into either FLL or MIA).

Hank

I found Best Western Plus on Miami Beach for reasonable price. Last time I stayed in Fort Lauderdale on the beach I never got access to it as some big concert thing was being set up and it took up the whole beach. Wasted like over $300 for nothing. 

Thanks again for your advice

2 hours ago, kimlet said:

We enjoy the Brickell area

My husband and I are flying from Vancouver BC to FLL on a direct red eye 2 days before our sailing. We land in FLL 8:30 AM and I’ve booked Hotel Cardozo in South Beach, planning on Ubering there. I figure we’ll be able to enjoy the beach and the atmosphere for the day and then it’s a quick Uber ride to the Miami port the next morning. I’m not 100% sold on the idea of south beach yet, but it looks like it could be fun for a night!