Speciality dining- beverage plans allowed?

Hi we are sailing away Sunday so can't wait. We have the premium beverage package. Will we be able to use that in the specialty dining restaurants without any upcharge?

• Like 1

Yes, and you might find the speciality restaurants have a more extensive offering within your package too, just ask the sommelier in there what you can have in your package. They will be happy to bring you a selection.    

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, ladylemondrop said:

Yes, and you might find the speciality restaurants have a more extensive offering within your package too, just ask the sommelier in there what you can have in your package. They will be happy to bring you a selection.    

You can ask for any cocktail at any restaurant. While some restaurants may have a bar menu for their signature drinks, that does not limit you to only those drinks. There typically are not restrictions on what they will make as most of the specialty restaurants use an outside bar for their cocktail service.  

Just got off Eclipse and we dined at every specialty restaurant and that was the case in our experience.  We were able to order anything we wanted as long as the bar serving the restaurant was able to make it.  For instance, not all bars are equipped to make what the Martini or World Class bars can offer.  But beyond that the just about anything can be made by any bar.

The only limitation with the drink packages is with the brands of alcohol used and range of included beverages between the Classic and Premium packages.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone! Leaveitallbehind, how was the Eclipse? We are sailing on her Sunday. Do you know what the a la carte menu prices were in Murano? I like the a la carte menu better. Thanks

16 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

Thanks everyone! Leaveitallbehind, how was the Eclipse? We are sailing on her Sunday. Do you know what the a la carte menu prices were in Murano? I like the a la carte menu better. Thanks

There is no ala carte menu in that sense in Murano, its fixed price and you choose what you want, not sure what the price is but for me on sailing in December the fixed price is 60 plus 20% or 72.  There are usually pre cruise discounts 5% or more available.  

I saw a la carte so that's why I asked. Anyone know how much discount usually is when we board? I understand they add tips also. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

I saw a la carte so that's why I asked. Anyone know how much discount usually is when we board? I understand they add tips also. 

To answer your first question, Eclipse and her crew were great!  To your second question, I am not aware of an a la carte menu at Murano and the specialty restaurant fee was not discounted on board.  They were offering a discount at Tuscan, however, at least in our case for a second night of dining.  We had a three night dining package so that was not of interest or relevant for us.  Tips are also a separate additional charge.  If you have high enough tier status with Captain's Club they will discount the fee by the appropriate tier level percentage.

We ate at Murano, Tuscan, and Qsine under our package and all were very good.  We also ate twice a la cart at Sushi on 5 and had our CC discount applied there.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the fast reply. All the cruises to Bermuda have been sold out for months so guess they don't need to discount the speciality dining. We will just eat in the MDR then.

5 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

Thanks for the fast reply. All the cruises to Bermuda have been sold out for months so guess they don't need to discount the speciality dining. We will just eat in the MDR then.

Being sold out typically is not a factor.  Our sailing was sold out as well, as you mention, but dining packages were offered though the planner unit just a couple of weeks prior to our sailing.  But at this late date to your sailing they likely will no longer be offered on the planner. 

They were offering packages on board, in particular on the first and second day, but as we already had ours I have no idea how they were priced as we never looked at them.  Tuscan is one that frequently will be discounted independently, but not as likely with Murano and Qsine.

Just check at any restaurant after you board or certainly there will be staff walking around offering packages.  Just have to see if the pricing is attractive for you or not.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

We have OBC so couldn't book before boarding.

You can use ship sponsored OBC for any advanced purchase on the planner.  We do that all the time including our dining package on our recent Eclipse sailing. 

Typically the only OBC I am aware of that would not be used in advance is third party issued refundable OBC.

That being said you can use the OBC once onboard for a dining package or specialty restaurant purchase. All charges made to your stateroom account are automatically charged against your OBC as the purchase is made.  This includes daily non-prepaid gratuities, etc.  The only thing that is an exception is an on board deposit made for a future cruise which is charged directly to your credit card.

We had 2 different OBC - from celebrity & our TA. I used all of the celebrity OBC to upgrade to the premium package & since that wasn't enough, paid the balance. But it's my understanding that the TA OBC doesn't get posted until we are onboard which is why I didn't book anything with the remainder of the OBC. 

4 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

You can ask for any cocktail at any restaurant. While some restaurants may have a bar menu for their signature drinks, that does not limit you to only those drinks. There typically are not restrictions on what they will make as most of the specialty restaurants use an outside bar for their cocktail service.  

Just got off Eclipse and we dined at every specialty restaurant and that was the case in our experience.  We were able to order anything we wanted as long as the bar serving the restaurant was able to make it.  For instance, not all bars are equipped to make what the Martini or World Class bars can offer.  But beyond that the just about anything can be made by any bar.

The only limitation with the drink packages is with the brands of alcohol used and range of included beverages between the Classic and Premium packages.

I mostly meant wines, sometimes we’ve found they have a better wine selection in the specialty restaurants for example than other restaurants. Decoy was available in Tuscan but not offered in MDR. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

You are correct!  On the top of the menu for Murano, it says "Murano A la carte".  However, that is misleading.  There is a fixed price and you can choose from the various selections.  There is a different menu which is a wine pairing menu called Five Senses.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, catspaw1 said:

We had 2 different OBC - from celebrity & our TA. I used all of the celebrity OBC to upgrade to the premium package & since that wasn't enough, paid the balance. But it's my understanding that the TA OBC doesn't get posted until we are onboard which is why I didn't book anything with the remainder of the OBC. 

Got it.  And you are correct, the third party OBC from your TA is posted on board for use then. That is one of the types of third party OBC to which I was referring.

Enjoy your cruise and hopefully you will find some attractive specialty restaurant pricing on board.