Data breached

JoJo1947

26th June cruise on SofA passengers passport data breached in Norway.No financial leak. The appropriate authorities have been informed. We have to get a new passport also to use Experian plus protection both of which Saga will reimburse all involved. 

Will need to renew passport which can be easily done on line.    When I contacted the Passport Office was advised to include a note explaining renewal was nesaasary due to the data leak not lost or stolen when returning current passport for official cancellation.  My passport still had five years before expiry!  Saga wi ll be notifying passengers about Experian Protection and will reimburse the cost of this together with costs of photos, passport and postage.  An unfortunate  situation but I personally think Saga have done their best to help.

• Like 1

Hopefully very rare occurrence. 

But after my next Saga cruise we have 3 weeks till need to use passport for long holiday. 

So has your passport been invalidated or are you changing it as a precaution against identity theft. 

Will Saga pay for the fast track passport service 

As someone who has had their identity stolen due to a data breach that I wasn't notified of, I feel for all of you. Sounds like Saga are doing all they can to assist.

It was Barclays' fraud team that told me where my data had come from, after a loan from them had been taken out in my name.

11 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Hopefully very rare occurrence. 

But after my next Saga cruise we have 3 weeks till need to use passport for long holiday. 

So has your passport been invalidated or are you changing it as a precaution against identity theft. 

Will Saga pay for the fast track passport service 

Have decided to follow advice from Saga to renew passport which was easy to do on line.  Would recommend you contact Passport Office to see if you can get renewal done quickly. Saga said they will reimburse all expenses so might be worth checking for fast track costs if you explain the urgency.

Is this a new data breach, or is it the release of information relating to an earlier one? 

https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/scamwatch-fraudsters-targeted-me-after-my-insurer-suffered-a-data-breach-aEr9U1v9Uuyn

https://www.postonline.co.uk/news/7952673/saga-suffers-unusual-breach-where-customers-have-credit-card-data-leaked

https://www.postonline.co.uk/news/7952682/saga-hacker-releases-more-customer-details-including-knighted-actor

It’s a new one.  There was a data breach in Norway relating to passport details of people on the 26th June cruise on Spirit of Adventure.

Thanks for the information to add a note when returning the passport for a new one. As I'm sailing again soon I'm going to wait until I'm home to do this as don't want the stress of will I get it back in time. Even fast tracted. No financial data has been leaked but I am checking my bank account daily. I'm cool about it. 

2 hours ago, JoJo1947 said:

Thanks for the information to add a note when returning the passport for a new one. As I'm sailing again soon I'm going to wait until I'm home to do this as don't want the stress of will I get it back in time. Even fast tracted. No financial data has been leaked but I am checking my bank account daily. I'm cool about it. 

Same here as off again in 3 weeks, well 2 weeks and 6 days😃

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, suron said:

Have decided to follow advice from Saga to renew passport which was easy to do on line.  Would recommend you contact Passport Office to see if you can get renewal done quickly. Saga said they will reimburse all expenses so might be worth checking for fast track costs if you explain the urgency.

Mine was a theoretical question,  as except for summer when we don't  travelbout of Cornwall , then often like our next cruise,  have only 3 weeks between travel.

I was caught in the Capita breach via pension , get on Experian ASAP and put credit lock on. If scammers can't do a credit search,  can't take out a loan. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Mine was a theoretical question,  as except for summer when we don't  travelbout of Cornwall , then often like our next cruise,  have only 3 weeks between travel.

I was caught in the Capita breach via pension , get on Experian ASAP and put credit lock on. If scammers can't do a credit search,  can't take out a loan. 

After putting the credit lock on with Experian, did your credit card still work?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Lady Meer said:

After putting the credit lock on with Experian, did your credit card still work?

Thanks.

Yes everything I had worked, it's about new cards , new loans etc

To open a new credit card (to get Avios) had to go into Experian switch credit lock off , apply for new card (online), get accepted,  then 30 mins later switch credit lock back on, easy.

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Yes everything I had worked, it's about new cards , new loans etc

To open a new credit card (to get Avios) had to go into Experian switch credit lock off , apply for new card (online), get accepted,  then 30 mins later switch credit lock back on, easy.

Thank you for that, my husband is one of the Capita victims. He’s a big Avios fan too!

On 7/8/2024 at 6:16 PM, Lady Meer said:

I was also caught in that Capita breach. and used Experian credit lock. Credit lock did affect insurance renewals.  I found subsequently that the automatic renewal of vehicle and house insurance policies did not go through automatically, as apparently an insurance renewal involves a credit check. in both cases the company phoned me and I used debit card to renew  via the phone call so not really a problem though it took me a bit of time to work out why the auto renewals had failed. 

19 hours ago, sleepingcat said:

I was also caught in that Capita breach. and used Experian credit lock. Credit lock did affect insurance renewals.  I found subsequently that the automatic renewal of vehicle and house insurance policies did not go through automatically, as apparently an insurance renewal involves a credit check. in both cases the company phoned me and I used debit card to renew  via the phone call so not really a problem though it took me a bit of time to work out why the auto renewals had failed. 

Thanks for that , I've never noticed this. But come to think of it , every time I  get notice of auto renewal price, a quick  comparison site check , I can get it cheaper. Often with same company. So I  end up negotiating and renewing on phone