Question about which currency to use for gratuities (not the philosophy of tipping, though)

All, I will be traveling on Splendor in September.  The bulk of the itinerary is in the UK, where the currency is Pound Stirling.  There are two stops in Ireland, where the Euro is used. I see that the Splendor will only be in the UK for this one trip. Then she'll sail in mostly Euro countries (some Scandinavian stops excluded).  I'm thinking that I should tip staff in Euros (if deserved), so they don't need to convert the money.  Do you concur?  Thanks in advance...

Personally, I don’t tip staff.  It’s included.  We will give to the crew fund that also goes to many behind the scenes that make the ship really tick. 

• Like 1

On the assumption that crew members will tend to use the value in their home countries (rarely Euro-based) I always tip in US Dollars as that may provide the best and most available translation to their home currency - in some cases being able to spend US dollars in their home country.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nachosdelux said:

whatever currency you have will be greatly appreciated.

Frankly, the type does not really matter.

This.

But Filipino staff do love their dollars.  🙂

If you tip bus guides and bus drivers on excursions (usually guides are not pre-tipped), even though  party line is 'they don't need tips, it's the UK and "they earn a living wage, unlike in the U.S.", and that is perfectly acceptable, I have read and also heard from locals that local currency is just slightly preferred.  But  frankly they are happy with any viable and reasonably stable currency like dollars and Euros as an alternative to pounds (so no Argentinian or South African currency) , if you don't have pounds handy.

Some guides have described to us that when they accumulate enough foreign currency, they make a run on getting it converted in bulk  (you can save them the trip to the exchange centers if you tip in local currency).

On board, of course the dollar is "local" currency.  

• Like 2

The USD is not necessarily the best currency to tip in...and it is relatively volatile too.

In your case for local guides and drivers I would definitely tip in GBP.  Any time someone has to go to a bank to change money the bank takes a hefty whack out of it.  On board - since you are from the US - use USD.

Yes tips on board are included.  But we often (usually) give something to the butler and the room steward/ess.  Plus donate to the Crew Fund which benefits everyone.  For that all you need to do is go to Reception and give them the money.    In our case, being Swiss, we tip in Swiss francs (only notes, not coins).  Swiss franc is the solidest currency in the world and all the staff seem pleased to have it.  But I would not covert USD to CHF just for tips.

13 hours ago, kstrittm said:

All, I will be traveling on Splendor in September.  The bulk of the itinerary is in the UK, where the currency is Pound Stirling.

We're also sailing on the September 22, 2024 Divine Castles & Coasts itinerary onboard Splendor and intend to tip staff in US currency when appropriate.  We always tip in ship's currency which is almost always US dollars.

Staff are able to deposit US dollars into their onboard account with no currency exchange fees applied.  Why make it difficult or costly for them by assuming Pounds or Euros will work better for them?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, rcandkc said:

Personally, I don’t tip staff.  It’s included.  We will give to the crew fund that also goes to many behind the scenes that make the ship really tick. 

The crew fund does not get distributed to the staff. It is used to fund departmental parties in the crew bar and the occasional crew excursion ticket. 

15 hours ago, kstrittm said:

All, I will be traveling on Splendor in September.  The bulk of the itinerary is in the UK, where the currency is Pound Stirling.  There are two stops in Ireland, where the Euro is used. I see that the Splendor will only be in the UK for this one trip. Then she'll sail in mostly Euro countries (some Scandinavian stops excluded).  I'm thinking that I should tip staff in Euros (if deserved), so they don't need to convert the money.  Do you concur?  Thanks in advance...

USD is the currency of choice. Regent will convert it for the crew or they can do it themselves. Remember, that they are not spending it in ports like you are...most are taking it home and converting 4-8 months worth at a time.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

The crew fund does not get distributed to the staff. It is used to fund departmental parties in the crew bar and the occasional crew excursion ticket. 

I know that and they love their parties and excursions. 

1 minute ago, rcandkc said:

I know that and they love their parties and excursions. 

I know you do but some people think the crew fund is like a giant tip jar for the staff....and many of the crew do not drink.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, -Lew- said:

We're also sailing on the September 22, 2024 Divine Castles & Coasts itinerary onboard Splendor and intend to tip staff in US currency when appropriate.  We always tip in ship's currency which is almost always US dollars.

Staff are able to deposit US dollars into their onboard account with no currency exchange fees applied.  Why make it difficult or costly for them by assuming Pounds or Euros will work better for them?

Very interesting to learn...  thanks so much for the clarification.

13 hours ago, Pcardad said:

I know you do but some people think the crew fund is like a giant tip jar for the staff....and many of the crew do not drink.

However, the crew morale fund rewards all crew members, not just the few who we encounter daily. Example, laundry, galley staff, maintenance staff, etc.  

• Like 3

Crew are always going ashore to buy snacks and personal care items.  They need the currency of the port for that, so the pound in Britain and Euros in Ireland and Europe.  Enough passengers will tip in local currency for shopping purposes, and more in USD for sending home.

10 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

However, the crew morale fund rewards all crew members, not just the few who we encounter daily. Example, laundry, galley staff, maintenance staff, etc.  

Sort of. It doesn't reward them individually. Each department takes a turn in "sponsoring" a party for a length of time in the crew bar and this fund might cover booze/etc. for the sponsored time. 

The best thing you can do is treat all the crew with respect.

The second best is write them up by name on the cruise survey or mention them to their boss.

While tips ARE INCLUDED on Regent, there is no prohibition against tipping...but I think we would all prefer if that aspect was a little more discrete.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@kstrittm one thing to watch for is Scotland has its own bank notes. Whilst they are legal currency in the other nations, shops aren't keen on taking them so try to spend your Scottish money in Scotland and try not to break a large note before you leave Kirkwall.

Edited by Techno123
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Techno123 said:

@kstrittm one thing to watch for is Scotland has its own bank notes. Whilst they are legal currency in the other nations, shops aren't keen on taking them so try to spend your Scottish money in Scotland and try not to break a large note before you leave Kirkwall.

This is true.  Our bank here in the Philippines will not accept Scottish notes for deposit into our account.  We have to keep them for when we return to Scotland in the future.