Wildlife in the Baltics

We’re on the Jewel of Baltic cruise at the end of September. I’m wondering about what the wildlife spotting might be like so I can plan which camera lenses to take.

Has anyone done this cruise before & can give me some pointers?

FWIW we're getting ready to go on a B2B cruise starting next week to many of the ports you will be visiting in September. One of my newly found passions is to take a bunch of wildlife photos of those we encounter while on an excursion and cruising between ports. Then that evening I'll post the better ones to an ongoing Live From thread (see below), which you are more than welcome to follow along on. But just so you know, the pictures I post are taken with my iPhone SE. 

• Thanks 1

I did Jewels of the Baltics in May. I don't recall any wildlife other than pigeons and seagulls. There was a very friendly cat in Visby.

Maybe if you take an excursion far from the ports you might see something.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, cavecreekguy said:

I did Jewels of the Baltics in May. I don't recall any wildlife other than pigeons and seagulls. There was a very friendly cat in Visby.

Maybe if you take an excursion far from the ports you might see something.

Visby is cancelled for our cruise!

Did this cruise in September last year.  Wildest life was seen the evening in Warnemunde when they had a local brass band on board and the lido set up to represent a bierkeller.  Otherwise there was nothing to be seen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I was also on the Jewels of the Baltics this past May, I don't recall any wildlife either.  Great cruise, enjoy!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@hkymre My hubby is a bird photographer and you will see him on board during sea days on the same cruise with his long lens . Pelagic birds , flying fish , dolphins , possibly whales (not sure about whales, depending on migration) especially if you are continuing on with the TA portion.

Edited by pmjnh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are practically no dolphins or whales in the Baltic sea. You may see seals and birds, but many migrant birds have already left by the end of September. Take plenty of warm clothes!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Finnland said:

Take plenty of warm clothes!

Yes and No!  When we did this itinerary at the end of September 2023 I had to purchase short sleeve shirts as it was so unexpectedly warm.

There's no real wildlife that I saw on my two cruises there. The cities are the highlights, the architecture and other features, although the most stunning part if you go to Stockholm is sailing in and out of the Stockholm archipelago, with 24,000 islands, many with summer vacation homes, and there are some very narrow passages and sharp turns. I got up at 5 am or so when we sailed in, and it was gorgeous, and on the way out we were followed by jetskiers and had people waving from the islands, so very cool. The end of September is likely to be cold and wet, though--I go in June, when you get the most daylight. Be careful in Kiel--I was on Zuiderdam there when the ship was surrounded by ecoprotestors in rafts and kayaks, and our departure was delayed by 8 hours or so, until the gave up and went home. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It’s a great cruise to go on but, as others have already pointed out, it’s about the places visited & experiences. The Baltic Sea is practically dead in terms of sea life so very little to view in that respect, however the towns, cities & beer are very worthwhile.

Enjoy 🍻

• Thanks 1

Besides the wild nightlife in Riga, if you take a day tour to the Hill of Crosses in Lithuania, you'll dive through a fair bit of countryside, with opportunities to see some things you might not along the coast.

Last year I took a similar Baltic cruise, admittedly in June rather than September. I saw no wildlife other than seabirds (and I’m not a fan of them). You might be able to book an excursion to a reindeer farm if the cruise stops in Finland (not a gag!). On a positive note, I liked the Baltic states so well I scheduled a return visit to Riga this year before I went on a Norway cruise. But the attraction was the cities, not wildlife. 

• Thanks 1