SFO luggage storage or lounge planning guide?

3 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

They have an interline agreement which means they are code share. What the agent needs to do (I would go through United as thats the first flight) is have them link your United booking to your Air Canada booking. When you check in for the flight with United make sure the tag they put on the bag has YVR on it before you let them throw it on the belt. 

that’s the part confused the agent. He keeps insisting that “linking” only work for different passengers on the same flight, but not for the same passenger on multiple flights.

My first booking is United, and second is Air Canada. I will try United agent again.

15 hours ago, mkkao924 said:

that’s the part confused the agent. He keeps insisting that “linking” only work for different passengers on the same flight, but not for the same passenger on multiple flights.

My first booking is United, and second is Air Canada. I will try United agent again.

You could also ask them to reticket you on the same flights to connect them. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

You could also ask them to reticket you on the same flights to connect them. 

Ask Air Canada or United?

Both flights are now locked in (that I can't cancel without penalty), first leg issued by United, second leg issued by Air Canada.

Even the second time I called United, the agent still insisted that link two booking from two different airlines are not possible, I have to take out luggage and re-check in. 

The "interline agreement" only applies to flights operated by United under Air Canada ticket, and I checked there is no award ticket available for LAX - SFO, and Air Canada website does not allow cash ticket for departure and destination both in US.

Edited by mkkao924

On 7/23/2024 at 2:37 PM, mkkao924 said:

The "interline agreement" only applies to flights operated by United under Air Canada ticket, and I checked there is no award ticket available for LAX - SFO, and Air Canada website does not allow cash ticket for departure and destination both in US.

They are codeshare so what we're talking about here happens every day-- bags being transferred from a United flight onto an Air Canada flight for a connecting passenger. It's just a matter of getting in front of the right person. Did you ask to escalate when you were talking to them to speak to a supervisor? This is why I said earlier to try and do this now because at airport check in the day of you don't have the time to escalate. 

Obviously this isn't the ideal way to do this-- that would have been booking this as one ticket. But that being said you should be able to accomplish this by getting to the right person. 

You had also mentioned you were thinking about going to downtown SF during the layover. If that's still the case this is all moot-- you can just quickly check the bag when you exit the airside area. If you plan on staying at the airport I would keep calling and escalate until you get someone who can help. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

You had also mentioned you were thinking about going to downtown SF during the layover. If that's still the case this is all moot-- you can just quickly check the bag when you exit the airside area.

As you noted in post #2, there is a restriction on how far in advance of the flight Air Canada will accept checked luggage (four hours).  I'd suggest that this doesn't provide enough time to check the luggage and visit downtown San Francisco and return in time to go through security for the flight.

29 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

As you noted in post #2, there is a restriction on how far in advance of the flight Air Canada will accept checked luggage (four hours).  I'd suggest that this doesn't provide enough time to check the luggage and visit downtown San Francisco and return in time to go through security for the flight.

Agreed but usually the only time you run into that is at an outstation location where the airline only has a few flights a day and only bring their staff on to conduct check in 4 hours before that flight departs. Aer Lingus is a good example at my home airport of PHL-- they operate once a day to Dublin at 8:30pm. Their check in desk isn't staffed til 4:30pm. 

Air Canada runs frequently throughout the day from SFO so there will be AC staff there from morning til night. They could always throw the book at you but generally they should be fine checking luggage earlier than the 4 hour cutoff. 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2024 at 9:53 AM, princeton123211 said:

They are codeshare so what we're talking about here happens every day-- bags being transferred from a United flight onto an Air Canada flight for a connecting passenger. It's just a matter of getting in front of the right person. Did you ask to escalate when you were talking to them to speak to a supervisor? This is why I said earlier to try and do this now because at airport check in the day of you don't have the time to escalate. 

Obviously this isn't the ideal way to do this-- that would have been booking this as one ticket. But that being said you should be able to accomplish this by getting to the right person. 

You had also mentioned you were thinking about going to downtown SF during the layover. If that's still the case this is all moot-- you can just quickly check the bag when you exit the airside area. If you plan on staying at the airport I would keep calling and escalate until you get someone who can help. 

Thank you so much for the help along the way! I was still having trouble getting the two booking linked over the phone. However, the airport agent knows exactly how this works and it didn’t take them long to set this up. I also confirmed my luggage receipt has both flight listed and final destination is YVR.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2024 at 7:14 AM, mkkao924 said:

However, the airport agent knows exactly how this works and it didn’t take them long to set this up. I also confirmed my luggage receipt has both flight listed and final destination is YVR.

Glad it worked out. Safe trip.