A unique way to disencourage tourists

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

The one thing I believe that makes it hard to compare with Australia is I don't think there is anywhere in Australia that gets the amount of tourists that you can experience in places like Barcelona and Venice. Barcelona was my very first mega tourist destination and the crowds really blew my mind especially since I wasn't even visiting peak season😂. The only time I have experienced crowds like that in Australia is when we have a special event but this was just a normal day for Barcelona. I've visited a few mega tourist destinations now and I can't think of anywhere in Australia I have experienced that level of extreme tourism even in peak season in popular locations here🤔

I was watching Fraser at Sea the other night on Youtube and he was in Barcelona and there were 8 cruise ships lined up at the wharf and some of them were the 4,000 to 5,000 passenger ones.  Unbelievable.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ondine said:

I was watching Fraser at Sea the other night on Youtube and he was in Barcelona and there were 8 cruise ships lined up at the wharf and some of them were the 4,000 to 5,000 passenger ones.  Unbelievable.

We were in Barcelona last month on Norwegian Viva. They managed the crowds from the multitude of ships really well. We just walked into the city, but there were loads of taxis available.

barcelona.jpg

• Like 1

In Bar Harbor. (Acadia National Park), Maine USA they’ve limited ships to those with less than 1000 passengers from port reservations after 2022 so it’s effecting cruises from 2024 onwards. They say 85% of income comes from land based tourists and only 15% from ship passengers.