Distilled Water for CPAP?

Hello, 

Is it difficult to get distilled water on board for my husband's CPAP machine? We are going to Alaska next month and he is thinking of packing it. I can't even imagine how much it will weigh down our luggage. I thought you used to be able to add this to the allergy area or something in your profile, but I must be mistaken. Can I just ask the room steward to bring a gallon? Has anyone done that and received it on board? 

Thank you. 

In your online cruise personalizer select check in and then dietary request you should see a spot to request before your cruise. Or as you mention, just ask your cabin steward.

• Like 1

My husband is also a CPAP user, and even if you forget to fill out the form prior to sailing (which we've done before, oops!), a quick call to your room steward will get the water sent to your room. Have never had an issue on Princess, and have only been charged for it once.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, u2harmony said:

I found it. Thank you so much!!!! 

image.thumb.png.9a00346c81a2c60c13db4753cf990076.png

That has worked for many, many years.  However, as they have moved everything except "Distilled water.." to the Medallion app they neglected to move the distilled request and it hasn't worked for my last two cruises.  You may want to send an email to dietaryrequest@princesscruises.com .  I have had good luck getting a response that way and the request will appear on your Travel Summary on the Princess website after it's been processd.  If all else fails ask your steward for a gallon after you board.  It is free.  Good luck!

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 5

45 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

That has worked for many, many years.  However, as they have moved everything except "Distilled water.." to the Medallion app they neglected to move the distilled request and it hasn't worked for my last two cruises.  You may want to send an email to dietaryrequest@princesscruises.com .  I have had good luck getting a response that way and the request will appear on your Travel Summary on the Princess website after it's been processd.  If all else fails ask your steward for a gallon after you board.  It is free.  Good luck!

Thanks so much for this information. I tried requesting the distilled water twice via the website as I have in the past but received no response. I just emailed using the address you supplied and received confirmation back via email almost immediately. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, lolo11 said:

Thanks so much for this information. I tried requesting the distilled water twice via the website as I have in the past but received no response. I just emailed using the address you supplied and received confirmation back via email almost immediately. 

You're welcome!  That's the same thing that happened to me.  It looks like it works as you get the message on the website that your request will be processed and you will hear back then crickets.  Wish they would fix this.  Even though you can ask the steward it just adds one unexpected thing on their list to get you before bedtime on embarkation day.

• Like 2

You do not need to pack the machine, carry it on.  It's considered a medical device, doesn't count against your carry on.  Also, I'd mark your case.   I called customer service and requested an extension cord and distilled water.  It was added to the reservation.

9 hours ago, cruisetmc said:

You do not need to pack the machine, carry it on.  It's considered a medical device, doesn't count against your carry on.  Also, I'd mark your case.   I called customer service and requested an extension cord and distilled water.  It was added to the reservation.

There's no carry-on limit on cruises, as long as you can carry it, strap it to your back, drag it behind it, etc.

• Haha 1

On 7/11/2024 at 12:01 PM, azbirdmom said:

Thank you or this I just sent in my request by Email 

Cheers! Dan 

I missed the line about packing the CPAP. CPAP is carry on. You carry it with you on the plane, in the hotel, onto the cruise ship, etc. It does not ever leave your sight. DO NOT place it in a suitcase unless you are planning to lug that suitcase with you. For the plane, it is considered a medical device and not considered your carryon or personal device (at least in the US). When the flight attendants ask about moving it to under the seat in front of you, just mention it's a medical device and you'd prefer it stay in the overhead. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

When the flight attendants ask about moving it to under the seat in front of you, just mention it's a medical device and you'd prefer it stay in the overhead. 

3 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I have never been asked by Delta flight attendants to move our CPAPs out of overhead storage...

If you're using the soft case (bag) that came with your CPAP, most gate agents and flight attendants recognize those, at least for the more common CPAPs, and won't hassle you about having too many carry-ons.  If they don't, I have this name/address tag on mine to try to avoid the inquiry.

20240713_165838.jpg

3 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I have never been asked by Delta flight attendants to move our CPAPs out of overhead storage...

And...I very often see at least 5 or 6 other people carrying CPAPs as well onto the flight.

On 7/13/2024 at 5:42 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

And...I very often see at least 5 or 6 other people carrying CPAPs as well onto the flight.

Absolutely. And distilled water onboard was no problem.

DO NOT COUNT ON PRINCESS FOR EXTENSION CORDS FOR CPAPS. We emailed and confirmed. We texted guest services immediately upon embarking. They still "ran out" before they got to our request. Luckily, based on @Rick&Jeannie's advice, I had thrown a converter into my luggage. Using that and the gaffer's tape I always bring, we were able to set his CPAP up despite lacking an extension cord. (Note that the plug into the European outlet under the bed kept working loose without tape. Not sure why.)

Thanks @Rick&Jeannie!

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Firefly74 said:

Absolutely. And distilled water onboard was no problem.

DO NOT COUNT ON PRINCESS FOR EXTENSION CORDS FOR CPAPS. We emailed and confirmed. We texted guest services immediately upon embarking. They still "ran out" before they got to our request. Luckily, based on @Rick&Jeannie's advice, I had thrown a converter into my luggage. Using that and the gaffer's tape I always bring, we were able to set his CPAP up despite lacking an extension cord. (Note that the plug into the European outlet under the bed kept working loose without tape. Not sure why.)

Thanks @Rick&Jeannie!

Good point about extension cords.  I always carry a 10 foot cord with me rolled up in my CPAP bag.  I have only had to use it once (I forget which ship...probably NCL) but it never leaves the bag so I always know I have it as a "fall back".  On Princess, I have *always* been able to hijack the European 220 volt 2 prong sockets "hidden" behind one of the beds.  I carry a "grab bag" of various plug adapters with me so that I can adapt to just about anywhere in the world.

Regarding distilled water...so far I have always remembered to make the request via cruise personalizer.  Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that it always appears in the cabin.  On those occasions, a simple request of the room steward magically brings a gallon.  They hear it all the time...it's NO big deal for them!

Edited by Rick&Jeannie