OBSERVATIONS FROM THE POOP DECK SEASCAPE JULY

On 7/18/2024 at 8:21 AM, DaKahuna said:

The reason I was asking is that we like to leave our iPads in the room charging while we are out and about.  I have not seen any outlets to plug in a charger in the lounges.  We like to keep our electronic devices 'topped off' and unplug the iPads when we come back to the room to allow for freedom of movement while we use them.  

I guess I'll figure something out if it takes a MSC cabin card.  I would had to loose ours from Divina as we have a collection of every cabin card from every cruise, except maybe the first one or two cruises. 

I thought that the key card in the slot was only to keep the lights and A/C on.  I was under the impression that the outlets stayed "ON" (for charging devices) even if the card was removed...

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Jackforever17 said:

we are currently on our second week of our B2B in YC on seascape and let's just say that there's a number of "interesting" people on board with little to no regard for basic etiquette. I've seen more questionable behaviour in a few hours than I experienced all last week. 

Thank you, thank you. Please keep us informed.

P.S. Please feel free to post anything here that you witness that is salacious, obscene, indecent, improper, indelicate, crude or lewd.

P.P.S. Thank you in advance.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Thank you, thank you. Please keep us informed.

P.S. Please feel free to post anything here that you witness that is salacious, obscene, indecent, improper, indelicate, crude or lewd.

P.P.S. Thank you in advance.

Just a thought. But if folks like @Jackforever17 do post more here on this topic, this thread could go on forever.

P.S. Like passing the baton.

P.P.S. @Jackforever17 post is even more mature than mine because I am forever 14.

On 7/12/2024 at 4:04 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

Call it advanced tipping

How exactly would you go about that? I like the idea of advance tipping but would be disappointed to do a generous advance tip and have the butler be MIA the rest of the trip.

Would you tip all upfront upon arrival? Or every morning for example? 

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, ChanelChanel35 said:

How exactly would you go about that? I like the idea of advance tipping but would be disappointed to do a generous advance tip and have the butler be MIA the rest of the trip.

Would you tip all upfront upon arrival? Or every morning for example? 

Never all in advance. When I started with a new butler I would say I hope you are as good as my last butler. Then I gave him $100 bill (it is better than a bunch of bills totaling $100. It gives him the impression that one only carries big bills for future tips. Then I say "This is only to start." Depending on the service the rest of the cruise I determine how much more to tip at the end. Usually another $100, $150....the last three butlers another $300. ( I guess word gets around that we appreciate exceptional service.) This past cruise both our butler and room steward took it upon themselves to change from their assigned port side corridors to starboard where we were, but only for our cabin, they went back to their corridors for the other assigned cabins.. I tipped the cabin steward at the end because I felt the $100 bill I gave to the butler would be relayed to his ear. DW likes to cover the furniture with blue towels. This time our room steward not only supplied her with extra white towels he also supplied her with extra blue towels and took it upon himself to changing and refreshing the blue towels on the furniture daily and he changed  and toweled the two loungers on the balcony daily. Had tipped him $250 at the end of the cruise last time, this time an extra $50 for the blue towel rotation for a total $300 for the week. 

I go to the restaurant to pick out our favorite table and tip both the Hostess $50 and the Maitre 'd $100... then again the same at the end. The concierges $20 point of service.

Pool attendant $10 for each day he sets up my pergola with dry cushions and blue towels and weaves blue towels into the wall of the slats of pergola for shade.

YC Director whenever I need a favor $100. If someone we feel goes above and beyond what we expect $20 point of service. Room service $10 point of service (even if our steward delivers).

P.S. Forgot the waiters. We request the same waiters for the entire cruise from the Maitre 'd . $300 for the gold tie waiter, $100 for the assistant black tie) Though one time we tipped the assistant $200 because he stood watch from a distance and all I had to do was turn my glance in his direction and he ran over. Both at the end of the cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChanelChanel35 said:

I like the idea of advance tipping but would be disappointed to do a generous advance tip and have the butler be MIA the rest of the trip.

Never be disappointed in doing good and being generous. It all counts. "What goes around comes around." Karma

• Like 1

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I tipped the cabin steward at the end because I felt the $100 bill I gave to the butler would be relayed to his ear.

Not to create an argument, but I'm curious about the use 'cabin steward' instead of what they seem to prefer, Junior Butler. Our first time on MSC Seaside, my DW left a note with a request, and used steward as her salutation, On our return to our room, we found a response from hi, saying the task was accomplished, and ended with "Yours truly, 'Xxxx', Junior Butler. To my mind., it seems to be a title that they are very proud of holding. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Never be disappointed in doing good and being generous. It all counts. "What goes around comes around." Karma

This is a wonderful point and great reminder. ☺️. Thank you for mentioning. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, JAGR said:

Not to create an argument, but I'm curious about the use 'cabin steward' instead of what they seem to prefer, Junior Butler. Our first time on MSC Seaside, my DW left a note with a request, and used steward as her salutation, On our return to our room, we found a response from hi, saying the task was accomplished, and ended with "Yours truly, 'Xxxx', Junior Butler. To my mind., it seems to be a title that they are very proud of holding. 

You are correct as usual. But I am writing to the masses that are not familiar with the MSC lexicon and cabin steward is universal. Always appreciate your input.

P.S. Like my use of the word "steerage".

P.P.S. Also I've discovered when you tip generously they don't care what you call them.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Av8tor said:

I thought that the key card in the slot was only to keep the lights and A/C on.  I was under the impression that the outlets stayed "ON" (for charging devices) even if the card was removed...

I was onboard and the power for the AC outlets turned off too if the card was removed. I'm not sure about the USB power outlet near the bed so perhaps they remained on. Also, my card needed to be inserted a certain direction or the power would turn off after several minutes had elapsed. I never tried a random card but it seemed to me inserting a card turned the power on but at some point the system read info from the official card in order to keep the power on. 

In general - especially when traveling - a USB power bank is very useful in many circumstances. It is great for having USB power where I want it, such as bedside to charge my phone overnight, w/o figuring out the logistics of where to plug things in. 

7 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Never all in advance. When I started with a new butler I would say I hope you are as good as my last butler. Then I gave him $100 bill (it is better than a bunch of bills totaling $100. It gives him the impression that one only carries big bills for future tips. Then I say "This is only to start." Depending on the service the rest of the cruise I determine how much more to tip at the end. Usually another $100, $150....the last three butlers another $300. ( I guess word gets around that we appreciate exceptional service.) This past cruise both our butler and room steward took it upon themselves to change from their assigned port side corridors to starboard where we were, but only for our cabin, they went back to their corridors for the other assigned cabins.. I tipped the cabin steward at the end because I felt the $100 bill I gave to the butler would be relayed to his ear. DW likes to cover the furniture with blue towels. This time our room steward not only supplied her with extra white towels he also supplied her with extra blue towels and took it upon himself to changing and refreshing the blue towels on the furniture daily and he changed  and toweled the two loungers on the balcony daily. Had tipped him $250 at the end of the cruise last time, this time an extra $50 for the blue towel rotation for a total $300 for the week. 

I go to the restaurant to pick out our favorite table and tip both the Hostess $50 and the Maitre 'd $100... then again the same at the end. The concierges $20 point of service.

Pool attendant $10 for each day he sets up my pergola with dry cushions and blue towels and weaves blue towels into the wall of the slats of pergola for shade.

YC Director whenever I need a favor $100. If someone we feel goes above and beyond what we expect $20 point of service. Room service $10 point of service (even if our steward delivers).

P.S. Forgot the waiters. We request the same waiters for the entire cruise from the Maitre 'd . $300 for the gold tie waiter, $100 for the assistant black tie) Though one time we tipped the assistant $200 because he stood watch from a distance and all I had to do was turn my glance in his direction and he ran over. Both at the end of the cruise.

IMG_4122.MOV 26.27 MB · 4 downloads

Just curious why the towels on the chairs and other furniture?  I wonder if you realize how the word steerage comes across to the majority who are fortunate just to able to cruise in regular fashion,

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Moz said:

I wonder if you realize how the word steerage comes across to the majority

I came from fifty years of being in “steerage “. Tired of loud music coming from my neighbors cabin all hours of the day and night. Tired of having drinks poured on my head from above while sitting on my veranda. Tired of my neighbors smoking on their balcony while I’m trying to enjoy the ocean air. Tired of having to walk the hallways avoiding soiled dishes placed outside their cabins instead of calling room service to remove them. Tired of waiting in lines with inconsiderate strangers coughing and sneezing without covering. And most importantly I am not running for public office to worry about a majority vote.

P.S. Is steerage worse on US sailings? See posting below it is in 6 languages.

LOWLIFE.jpeg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Yes

Now I'm really confused.  Never seen a menu like this before.  We always stay in a YC Royal Suite. We're not big on snacks or hard liquor but do enjoy champagne, from the inexpensive to the high end vintage.  Have never been charged for multiple bottles of the  Nicolas Feuillate.  Guess we always hit the jackpot with a generous butler.  

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, chrisgp999 said:

Now I'm really confused.  Never seen a menu like this before.  We always stay in a YC Royal Suite. We're not big on snacks or hard liquor but do enjoy champagne, from the inexpensive to the high end vintage.  Have never been charged for multiple bottles of the  Nicolas Feuillate.  Guess we always hit the jackpot with a generous butler.  

I agree with you. Maybe they put it in our RS & OS staterooms to appreciate that our butlers have the discretion to make it complimentary.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Av8tor said:

i am not sure.  If that is the case, then I do not need the extra card. 

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I came from fifty years of being in “steerage “. Tired of loud music coming from my neighbors cabin all hours of the day and night. Tired of having drinks poured on my head from above while sitting on my veranda. Tired of my neighbors smoking on their balcony while I’m trying to enjoy the ocean air. Tired of having to walk the hallways avoiding soiled dishes placed outside their cabins instead of calling room service to remove them. Tired of waiting in lines with inconsiderate strangers coughing and sneezing without covering. And most importantly I am not running for public office to worry about a majority vote.

P.S. Is steerage worse on US sailings? See posting below it is in 6 languages.

LOWLIFE.jpeg

When I fly I fly in steerage. When I’m not in the haven on NCL I’m in steerage.but due to the excellent bargain of MSC Yacht club I have never been in steerage on MSC.I do not find it offensive.

Edited by Mommapadraig
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Is it possible to have the complimentary Prosecco (isn’t that for Diamond status) swapped for the Nicolas Feuillatte? Would there be a full charge for that bottle or maybe just the difference in price between Prosecco & champagne?

Of course, with the $100 introduction we’re going to try next cruise…maybe no upcharge!!

We enjoy your live-froms!

• Like 1