Cunard World Club: Diamond Dining Benefit

Se1lad

53 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

try the "Frontier" (Alaska)

The Frontier restaurant in Alaska was a huge disappointment. We ordered the extra charge “Alaska” seafood plate and whole generous, was mostly bad. The mussels weren’t bearded so hard to eat and most of the other seafood was dry and overcooked. The mgr and chef came out after we pointed out how bad this offering was and explained that all the food arrives pre-prepared and they warm, arrange, and serve. We got our extra charge supplement credited back and DW reordered goose and said it was good but my halibut was again dry and overcooked. I’d take a hard pass on Frontier until they get their sourcing and serving factors under control. Especially upsetting since we missed out on a QG dinner for that. I must add that the service was excellent and caring. 

3 hours ago, NE John said:

The Frontier restaurant in Alaska was a huge disappointment. We ordered the extra charge “Alaska” seafood plate and whole generous, was mostly bad. The mussels weren’t bearded so hard to eat and most of the other seafood was dry and overcooked. The mgr and chef came out after we pointed out how bad this offering was and explained that all the food arrives pre-prepared and they warm, arrange, and serve. We got our extra charge supplement credited back and DW reordered goose and said it was good but my halibut was again dry and overcooked. I’d take a hard pass on Frontier until they get their sourcing and serving factors under control. Especially upsetting since we missed out on a QG dinner for that. I must add that the service was excellent and caring. 

On QV I was only missing a Britannia. I agree that it's harder to bring yourself to pay for an alternate dinner when you're in the grills, so I didn't try Frontier on QE..

I had the goose at Nordlys and it was delicious. I didn't order the seafood plate because that's for two, and there were things on it I wouldn't eat (like mussels). But I did have the langoustines and liked them. 

I know a lot of food is frozen. It has to be. But precooked and reheated is not as good as thawed and then cooked. 

53 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

On QV I was only missing a Britannia. I agree that it's harder to bring yourself to pay for an alternate dinner when you're in the grills, so I didn't try Frontier on QE..

I had the goose at Nordlys and it was delicious. I didn't order the seafood plate because that's for two, and there were things on it I wouldn't eat (like mussels). But I did have the langoustines and liked them. 

I know a lot of food is frozen. It has to be. But precooked and reheated is not as good as thawed and then cooked. 

Remember most deep water fish is inevitably frozen. If the trawlers are at sea for up to a month, it is inevitable. And meat is better if hung for 3-4 weeks, anyway.

12 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Remember most deep water fish is inevitably frozen. If the trawlers are at sea for up to a month, it is inevitable. And meat is better if hung for 3-4 weeks, anyway.

True, but marketing “championing native ingredients” from Alaska sourced food on an Alaska cruise and offering unknown sourced food that is ill-prepared is not a good look for Frontier. I understand that turbot, Dover sole, and other high end foods are frozen but they were prepared very well and among my favorites. 

21 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

But it's better frozen raw and cooked after defrosting than cooked first and then frozen.

• Like 1

Just now, 3rdGenCunarder said:

But it's better frozen raw and cooked after defrosting than cooked first and then frozen.

Much better. And I think usually the case.

On a recent cruise, I went on a wine trip with a lady who was married to a former F+B manager. When I mentioned that octopus was on the menu the evening we left Vigo where it was a speciality, she said none the less it would have been loaded in Soton.

On QA you can have for Diamond perk lunch in SIr Samuel's, but book early as you won't get in. You can also put the benefit perk towards Sir Samuel's in the evening and pay the extra balance. You can also have evening meal in Aranya (Indian) or Tramonto (Mediterranean).