Queen Anne 14th - 28th July Iceland and bits of Britain.

Victoria2

Posted (edited)

So hate to complain as everything has been great but this evening I did.  

At the start of the week a group in the Commodore Club were spoken to by a waiter for not following the dress code. They created and argued citing how much they has paid for the cruise and they should be able to wear what they liked (which at the time one had shorts multiple sneakers, faded jeans and the like). Waiter was overruled by someone higher and they stayed.

Waiter told us despite being a new ship the sign needed by the door stating the dress code hasn't been delivered yet which doesn't help when trying to enforce the code.

Tonight same crowd who were again flaunting the dress code and then what irritated me more was during the musicians 45 minute slot using cell phones on speaker mode; child watching a video on speaker mode and the rest of the crowd loudly talking above all that hullabaloo 

So when i left I asked to speak to the bar manager and was told by the lady behind the bar “they are unavailable we are in charge so you need to speak to me”.  

At that point the child in the group decided he would play the piano (not that he could play  but he proceeded to bang the keys) 

At no point during the evening (cell phones and piano playing) did any Cunard employe attempt to intervene or the parents of the would be pianist when he was bashing the keys.

So I complained to her about the dress code violations, the cell phone use etc and she then turned to the guests in question who were leaving as well and spoke to them in their language ( not english ) & clearly told them what we had complained about as they then attempted to “engage” with us with comments “Why are you complaining…” and “our dress is acceptable “ etc.  

We then stated again we wished to speak to the manager as now we were also feeling really uncomfortable 

The lady behind the bar then told us “You all need to respect each others culture” to which we replied bad behaviour and flaunting the dress code isn't culture.

I found her comment to be quite frankly insulting and rude.

More attempts of engagement were made by the group about us complaining before they then left as we didn't respond to them.

Finally a manager arrived and we recited the story to just a “okay we will deal with it”.  

I told him it should have been dealt with on the first night by supporting his waiter when they correctly flagged up the dress code violation and not overruled them.

Use of cell phones on speaker should also have been stopped during a live musical performance.

His response “oh okay”

I know now countless people will tell me to wind my neck in; live and let live; what right do i have to comment etc. but IMHO there are venues you can attend wearing what you want etc and venues that should have abidance to the Dress code.

Cunard either need to clearly state the dress code in a uniform plain english manner across all literature and enforce it OR just not have a dress code anymore.

Other than that lovely sea day.

Clive Myrie was standing room only in the theatre and showed live  on TV and packed Golden Lion. Helen Doe did a great talk on RNLI.

My new favourite is choux pastries at 3pm in the Corinthia Lounge.

Edited by Craigrlewis
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Totally in agreement and support your actions. People are well aware of the dress code - or should be via booking and on board information and if you don't like it choose another line. Management need to be held to account for this unacceptable attitude and I hope you follow it up. To be honest we have not enjoyed the Commodore Club on this voyage - not sure if it is down to atmosphere or demographic but will give it another go tomorrow night - last gala night! 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I’m not the sort of person who dresses up regularly. However I firmly believe that if you set a dress code, it should be clear what is acceptable and what is not and enforced consistently. Or just don’t bother at all with a dress code

Perhaps the bar staff and waiters should politely refuse to serve those who do not adhere to the dress code. And then be backed up by their managers.

i can see how some staff would be reluctant to do that as not everyone is comfortable or willing to deal with conflicts.

Edited by vsbc
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Wearing the wrong clothes is indicative perhaps of a certain arrogance and superiority. But, from the point of view of others, behaving as they did in a live performance is a far worse symptom of the same attitude, as it really affects the enjoyment of others. You don’t have to look at their unpleasant clothes, after all, but you can’t avoid hearing them. Horrible behaviour.

Who is the ultimate boss of the bar manager in the hierarchy? 

Edited by exlondoner
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Craigrlewis, you should not have to spend the time following this up, but if you do feel you want to, and I would if it were me, my suggestion is to get to speak to Callum Williams. He is the Guest Services Manager and is extremely approachable. In fact, you can’t miss him as he walks around the ship. 

This is not a case of the over used 'dumbing down', how I hate that phrase, it’s a case of staff training and to be fair, staff being afraid of unruly passengers.

There will be those who don’t dress appropriately all the times and that won’t stop but the disruption caused by cell phone on speaker and the child is not acceptable at all and there is NO way the bar staff should have told you to respect other cultures when the ethos of the surroundings and fellow passengers weren’t being respected.

If I had experienced that, my main complaint today would have been about the staff.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Craigrlewis, you should not have to spend the time following this up, but if you do feel you want to, and I would if it were me, my suggestion is to get to speak to Callum Williams. He is the Guest Services Manager and is extremely approachable. In fact, you can’t miss him as he walks around the ship. 

This is not a case of the over used 'dumbing down', how I hate that phrase, it’s a case of staff training and to be fair, staff being afraid of unruly passengers.

There will be those who don’t dress appropriately all the times and that won’t stop but the disruption caused by cell phone on speaker and the child is not acceptable at all and there is NO way the bar staff should have told you to respect other cultures when the ethos of the surroundings and fellow passengers weren’t being respected.

If I had experienced that, my main complaint today would have been about the staff.

Yes, the respecting other cultures argument is fatuous. Would they have said the same about a group smoking cannabis? Or insisting women should sit in a segregated area? Ridiculous.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Craigrlewis said:

At the start of the week a group in the Commodore Club were spoken to by a waiter for not following the dress code. They created and argued citing how much they has paid for the cruise and they should be able to wear what they liked (which at the time one had shorts multiple sneakers, faded jeans and the like). Waiter was overruled by someone higher and they stayed.

Waiter told us despite being a new ship the sign needed by the door stating the dress code hasn't been delivered yet which doesn't help when trying to enforce the code.

Tonight same crowd who were again flaunting the dress code and then what irritated me more was during the musicians 45 minute slot using cell phones on speaker mode; child watching a video on speaker mode and the rest of the crowd loudly talking above all that hullabaloo 

So when i left I asked to speak to the bar manager and was told by the lady behind the bar “they are unavailable we are in charge so you need to speak to me”.  

At that point the child in the group decided he would play the piano (not that he could play  but he proceeded to bang the keys) 

At no point during the evening (cell phones and piano playing) did any Cunard employe attempt to intervene or the parents of the would be pianist when he was bashing the keys.

So I complained to her about the dress code violations, the cell phone use etc and she then turned to the guests in question who were leaving as well and spoke to them in their language ( not english ) & clearly told them what we had complained about as they then attempted to “engage” with us with comments “Why are you complaining…” and “our dress is acceptable “ etc.  

We then stated again we wished to speak to the manager as now we were also feeling really uncomfortable 

The lady behind the bar then told us “You all need to respect each others culture” to which we replied bad behaviour and flaunting the dress code isn't culture.

More attempts of engagement were made by the group about us complaining before they then left as we didn't respond to them.

Finally a manager arrived and we recited the story to just a “okay we will deal with it”.  

I told him it should have been dealt with on the first night by supporting his waiter when they correctly flagged up the dress code violation and not overruled them.

Use of cell phones on speaker should also have been stopped during a live musical performance.

His response “oh okay”

I know now countless people will tell me to wind my neck in; live and let live; what right do i have to comment etc. but IMHO there are venues you can attend wearing what you want etc and venues that should have abidance to the Dress code.

Cunard either need to clearly state the dress code in a uniform plain english manner across all literature and enforce it OR just not have a dress code anymore.

We certainly won't be telling you to "wind your neck in" @Craigrlewis; we applaud your efforts, particularly in the face of the unsatisfactory responses from the bar staff. 

• Like 10

I don't know which is worse - the disruptive behavior of the passengers or the indifference of the staff.  Well done for bringing it up, and I hope the bad taste of the experience doesn't linger.  I do hope Cunard management hears about all this.  Corrective measures are needed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Craigrlewis said:

Thanks all for the comments

Im moving on now and enjoying the rest of the cruise and as exlonder says ignoring what others are wearing 😀

And perhaps carrying earplugs, just in case. 😀

8 minutes ago, alc13 said:

I don't know which is worse - the disruptive behavior of the passengers or the indifference of the staff.  Well done for bringing it up, and I hope the bad taste of the experience doesn't linger.  I do hope Cunard management hears about all this.  Corrective measures are needed.

Even if I notice an attire I wouldn’t wear or wouldn’t let my husband 'out' in, I have no difficulty ignoring surrounding dress sense.

What I wouldn’t ignore, is the attitude given in post 201 re 'respect for others culture' from a member of staff to a passenger.

Totally out of order and should be actioned by senior staff.

We happened to meet the  Captain as he walked the decks and he stopped to talk to us (what an great, personable chap) and our conversation ran along the lines of 'how wonderful the staff on Queen Anne are'.

They are and it’s sad to hear of this anomaly.

• Like 5

So instead of "dumbing down," (I do love how sensitive some are around here)  I'll use "The Hey Guys" Era at Cunard.... and we witnessed the same thing on QV in May with a group of passengers of specific nationality who resolutely refused to follow the dress code and were, in fact, schmoozed by the cruise staff so attired.  I did complain at the bureau and they did absolutely nothing.

"The respect others cultures" line just enrages me.... I would have reported the individual who said it for starters.  

Thank you for your efforts... I think Cunard is frankly happy to just take anyone's money at this point and could not care less about their own "dress code."  I've said so here and folks thought it was just terrible to point out the obvious. They don't. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

So instead of "dumbing down," (I do love how sensitive some are around here)  I'll use "The Hey Guys" Era at Cunard.... and we witnessed the same thing on QV in May with a group of passengers of specific nationality who resolutely refused to follow the dress code and were, in fact, schmoozed by the cruise staff so attired.  I did complain at the bureau and they did absolutely nothing.

"The respect others cultures" line just enrages me.... I would have reported the individual who said it for starters.  

Thank you for your efforts... I think Cunard is frankly happy to just take anyone's money at this point and could not care less about their own "dress code."  I've said so here and folks thought it was just terrible to point out the obvious. They don't. 

And yet I think I have read accounts just this week of people being sent away for unsuitable dress, so it is clearly not universal.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Thank you @WantedOnVoyage.  We said something similar earlier today, but it's no longer visible 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Craigrlewis said:

His response “oh okay”

Other than that lovely sea day.

Clive Myrie was standing room only in the theatre and showed live  on TV and packed Golden Lion. Helen Doe did a great talk on RNLI.

My new favourite is choux pastries at 3pm in the Corinthia Lounge.

Bad manners is not a "culture" and just proves how low Cunard standards have dropped. They started the slippery road problem with there change in dress code and are now going down that slippery road. Appalling that even when dress code is being abused that the Manager overrules bar staff and let the people in question stay. I think it says a lot about Cunard and the way they are heading.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Bad manners is not a "culture" and just proves how low Cunard standards have dropped. They started the slippery road problem with there change in dress code and are now going down that slippery road. Appalling that even when dress code is being abused that the Manager overrules bar staff and let the people in question stay. I think it says a lot about Cunard and the way they are heading.

Thank you @majortom10.  Again, we said something similar earlier today, but it's no longer visible 🤣 

• Like 2

I don't see signs of declining standards, although we'll find out more in October.  Certainly a year ago everything was up to snuff. I do think, though, that the response of the bar manager as described here fell short.  It isn't in Cunard's interests to condone noisy and disruptive behavior on board, regardless of whatever cultural customs were on display.  So I hope there is some follow-up with that staff member.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Not a case of being sensitive. It’s being cognisant of the fact Cunard is moving with the times to stay relevant. Those who don’t like the moves, should carry on their own style and ignore those who ‘don’t measure up' but for sure, make known their thoughts to higher ups. It might help. It might not.

Captain Hudson ( what a charming, great chap) stopped to talk to us on one of his deck ambles and we discussed the fact Cunard is aware and values its heritage whilst looking to the future.

We have the same attitude.

What I wouldn’t let pass is a member of staff talking to me as was described in #201.

The staff on Queen Anne have been superb and this incident lets all the staff down when in fact, the staff are wonderful.

So please, treat this as an anomaly and not the norm but, if senior managers aren’t aware of such retorts, then nothing can be done.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, alc13 said:

I don't see signs of declining standards, although we'll find out more in October.  Certainly a year ago everything was up to snuff. I do think, though, that the response of the bar manager as described here fell short.  It isn't in Cunard's interests to condone noisy and disruptive behavior on board, regardless of whatever cultural customs were on display.  So I hope there is some follow-up with that staff member.

Standards haven’t dropped but the guidelines for dress have changed. That’s not dropped, that’s changed!

As to 'standards' for QG, I  have this lunchtime, congratulated our Head Waiter on the quality, the taste and the choices on the main menu in QG. The staff are amazing too.

Will we be transferring our 25 and 26 bookings away from Our Annie?

No.

• Like 3

Personally, I think anyone seeing the christening of QUEEN ANNE would think they can wear as they darn please... "Hey Guys....!"  But that would be just my opinion.  And to think, some here were sure she'd get a royal christening. So much for that...

But yes... we should complain about the issues as that raised in this thread. At the time. And take it as high up as the system designed to prevent that as you are able. We had to raise a serious medical diet issue last time on QV and I was astonished at the conflicting layers one has to go through. And the time taken in doing so.  

Finally, one makes the "times" not be dictated to by them.  Especially when one is the customer paying for it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Personally, I think anyone seeing the christening of QUEEN ANNE would think they can wear as they darn please... "Hey Guys....!"  But that would be just my opinion.  And to think, some here were sure she'd get a royal christening. So much for that...

But yes... we should complain about the issues as that raised in this thread. At the time. And take it as high up as the system designed to prevent that as you are able. We had to raise a serious medical diet issue last time on QV and I was astonished at the conflicting layers one has to go through. And the time taken in doing so.  

Finally, one makes the "times" not be dictated to by them.  Especially when one is the customer paying for it.  

and as one is paying, it’s incumbent on the payor to be aware of guidelines which have changed…with the times!

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the dress code, either changes in it or failure to observe it.  I'm referring to the bar experience.  It's reasonable to expect a manager to tactfully and unobtrusively take care of disruptive passengers, and not to challenge someone who complains.  

• Like 10