Queen Anne 14th - 28th July Iceland and bits of Britain.

Victoria2

Posted (edited)

Point taken and absolutely.  Having worked briefly on a ship, albeit a small one (but with a dress code even in the middle of the South Atlantic!)... anything that warrants a complaint should be sufficiently mortfying and concerning since 99.8% would rather suffer in silence and wait till they get home and post the complaint here!  Real complaints are rare and a professional cruise staff take it seriously.  We had a family aboard complain about not enough for children to do aboard and I was "detailed" to be the kiddie deck sport "czar" for the ensuing three weeks at sea.  I wish they had waited instead to complain here!  Of course, this was five years before there was a Cruise Critic.

Edited by WantedOnVoyage
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yep sorry my post detracted from the main topic. Good call.

Attended Brief Encounter yesterday afternoon and theatre packed again with standing and sitting in the aisles.  

Was so well staged/produced/acted.  Was great and I highly recommend it.

Ate lunch in the Britannia today for the first time this cruise and was excellent.

Steering clear of Corinthia Lounge this afternoon as dont think my waistline can stand more choux pastries.  And its baked alaska on the dessert menu this evening and Ive been known to have 2 of those so mmm big decisions….

Glasgow tomorrow and we have nought train tickets ahead of time and have a reservation for Rennie Mackintosh tea room  (because we need more cake🤔)

Edited by Craigrlewis
  • Like 9

14 minutes ago, Craigrlewis said:

Attended Brief Encounter yesterday afternoon and theatre packed again with standing and sitting in the aisles.  

Ate lunch in the Britannia today for the first time this cruise and was excellent.

Steering clear of Corinthia Lounge this afternoon as dont think my waistline can stand more choux pastries.  And its baked alaska on the dessert menu this evening and Ive been known to have 2 of those so mmm big decisions….

Glasgow tomorrow and we have nought train tickets ahead of time and have a reservation for Rennie Mackintosh tea room  (because we need more cake🤔)

I applaud your farsightedness in realising you would clearly need cake to sustain you while in Glasgow, after the shocking way the ship has been starving you.

Now, I’m going to be serious for a moment. Surely, nobody should be allowed to sit or stand in the theatre aisles. Wouldn’t that be desperately dangerous if urgent evacuation was needed?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Craigrlewis said:

I have been so impressed with my choices for dinner this cruise, I broke a habit of a lifetime and photographed a couple.

I add the caveat my iPad was with me in case a whale popped up its head to say hello. No ipad, no smiling whale photo.

Unfortunately, no whales so my dinners got photographed, and I did the smiling! 🙂 

Enjoy your extra cakes. I love Mackintosh designs.

No Baked Alaska on the menu but then I have two specials ordered for tonight so will be avoiding puds.

I went to watch Queen with Adam Lambert concert filmed in Tokyo, on the Pavilion screen last night.

Great way of passing 90 mins but it was a bit chilly so memo for future 'cold water' cruises, take a shawl.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Now, I’m going to be serious for a moment. Surely, nobody should be allowed to sit or stand in the theatre aisles. Wouldn’t that be desperately dangerous if urgent evacuation was needed?

I was shocked on Anne to the Canaries that there were regularly wheelchairs folded up and in the aisles of the theatre. It was a clear health and safety issue, but worse than that it was clear that the wheelchair provision was woefully inadequate. I think the only way to get a dedicated wheelchair space would be to arrive very early. I was glad not to need a chair as I don’t believe they were very well catered for. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Personally, I think anyone seeing the christening of QUEEN ANNE would think they can wear as they darn please... "Hey Guys....!"  But that would be just my opinion.  And to think, some here were sure she'd get a royal christening. So much for that...

But yes... we should complain about the issues as that raised in this thread. At the time. And take it as high up as the system designed to prevent that as you are able. We had to raise a serious medical diet issue last time on QV and I was astonished at the conflicting layers one has to go through. And the time taken in doing so.  

Finally, one makes the "times" not be dictated to by them.  Especially when one is the customer paying for it.  

And being currently on QA I am sure that is what people are thinking and can only speak for Britannia, other restaurants might differ, but the dress standards are beyond belief and in many people's eyes a dropping of standards to attract a certain clientele. Nothing is said to these fellow cruiser's and is certainly not Smart Attire. If that is the way forward for Cunard then I can see a dramatically different cruise line in the future.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

And being currently on QA I am sure that is what people are thinking and can only speak for Britannia, other restaurants might differ, but the dress standards are beyond belief and in many people's eyes a dropping of standards to attract a certain clientele. Nothing is said to these fellow cruiser's and is certainly not Smart Attire. If that is the way forward for Cunard then I can see a dramatically different cruise line in the future.

I do hope you are enjoying some aspects of your cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Standards haven’t dropped

Having experienced all 'classes', that is a fair comment in respect of the Grills, but not the MDR, where standards have most certainly dropped over recent years, at least as far as QM2 & QV are concerned.  They are now very different products, far more so than they used to be, in our view.

And as for "moving with the times to stay relevant", our thirtysomething daughter & son-in-law are now "Done with Cunard" due to the drop in standards, having recently returned from QE in Alaska, so seemingly not all 'youngsters' are so keen on "moving with the times" 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, TowandaUK said:

I was shocked on Anne to the Canaries that there were regularly wheelchairs folded up and in the aisles of the theatre. It was a clear health and safety issue, but worse than that it was clear that the wheelchair provision was woefully inadequate. I think the only way to get a dedicated wheelchair space would be to arrive very early. I was glad not to need a chair as I don’t believe they were very well catered for. 

The number of wheelchairs on the May cruise was way beyond any cruise we’ve ever been on which was reflected on disembarkation. HUGE numbers. Huge.

Not nearly as many on this one. That’s not to say provisions couldn’t be improved but the May cruise was atypical as was pointed out by assistance as we embarked.

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, missson1967 said:

Having experienced all 'classes', that is a fair comment in respect of the Grills, but not the MDR, where standards have most certainly dropped over recent years, at least as far as QM2 & QV are concerned.  They are now very different products, far more so than they used to be, in our view.

And as for "moving with the times to stay relevant", our thirtysomething daughter & son-in-law are now "Done with Cunard" due to the drop in standards, having recently returned from QE in Alaska, so seemingly not all 'youngsters' are so keen on "moving with the times" 

I have been only in the Grills since Covid, but so much of the experience is common to all grades: shows, most bars, most outdoor space, promenade, library, lectures, spa stuff, gym. I assume in essence it is food you are dissatisfied with, and I certainly acknowledge this is a major part of enjoyment.

22 minutes ago, missson1967 said:

and not all passengers views, future and present are reflected in the views of CC board members.

Myles has been onboard for quite a few weeks now. Hope it’s not all been a dreadful experience.

• Like 2

Clive Myrie has proven to be an amazing speaker and quite honestly, could have filled the theatre three times over.

We decided to watch his talks later in the comfort of our cabin. I sat next to a real snuffler the other day and as our cabin is snuffle free watched with a cup of coffee.

The show tonight sounds quite good too so we’ll be taking on pinch point alley on the way to the theatre.

The wind today defeated us, yet again so it’s been an inside day. What with the cool Canary cruise and the predominantly windy and cold weather this cruise, we’ve not done too well with the Queen Anne weather stakes. 

Still smiling tho'. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

I do hope you are enjoying some aspects of your cruise.

Yes even though not a great fan of the ship in general the food has been very good. We have also had excellent meals in Aranya and our Diamond lunch in Sir Samuel's. The staff have been very pleasant and hard working but seems to be short staffed especially in Britannia and sure that is why the service has been poor on occasions. Commodore Club is very nice but like previously have said do not like the Queen's Room and because of it's size compared to other Queens people are sitting down to guarantee a table at 2pm for afternoon tea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, missson1967 said:

The standards have certainly dropped in Britannia MDR currently on QA compared to our last cruise in Britannia on QE. With reference to Cunard moving with the times I don't think the younger people who cruise today are so brand loyal than perhaps the elderly loyal cruiser's who Cunard are obviously looking to replace for the future.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Yes even though not a great fan of the ship in general the food has been very good. We have also had excellent meals in Aranya and our Diamond lunch in Sir Samuel's. The staff have been very pleasant and hard working but seems to be short staffed especially in Britannia and sure that is why the service has been poor on occasions. Commodore Club is very nice but like previously have said do not like the Queen's Room and because of it's size compared to other Queens people are sitting down to guarantee a table at 2pm for afternoon tea.

I think the QR is one of the few disappointing rooms on the ship. Its decor is a nothingness, and you are through it before you’ve noticed. Love nearly all the rest of the ship, though, except…I’ll leave others to fill in the gap.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I think the QR is one of the few disappointing rooms on the ship. Its decor is a nothingness, and you are through it before you’ve noticed. Love nearly all the rest of the ship, though, except…I’ll leave others to fill in the gap.

We have been sitting in 'the gap' quite a bit this cruise and we’ve got used to it. OK there’s no view and I do need a back cushion, of which there are loads, for some of the chairs, but it’s OK. 🙂

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Give me a second... it will come to me....

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

We have been sitting in 'the gap' quite a bit this cruise and we’ve got used to it. OK there’s no view and I do need a back cushion, of which there are loads, for some of the chairs, but it’s OK. 🙂

I’d rather spend the time in your cabin, or even in mine. 😀

13 hours ago, majortom10 said:

but the dress standards are beyond belief and in many people's eyes a dropping of standards to attract a certain clientele. Nothing is said to these fellow cruiser's and is certainly not Smart Attire

I'm someone who wouldn't be bothered about what others are wearing, but having said that Cunard have a responsibility to enforce the specified dress code, and if as you describe some are "beyond belief" then it's certainly concerning they are allowing this to occur.

It seems to me that this is being questioned across the whole fleet, which suggests Cunard are not taking complaints seriously, therefore I guess it's a case of having to put up with it or move to ventures new.

I can only guess what's meant by "certain clientele", but I would suggest we could all fall into that category one way or another.

• Like 4

We were so fortunate sailing into Greenock last month.  A glorious day, with the beautiful Highlands forming an almost ethereal backdrop.

IMG_6150.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MylesS said:

Cold and cloudy morning coming into Greenock! 

IMG_7199.thumb.jpeg.af48cd32efb2416e0346a12cb8f83e33.jpeg

Add wet from low lying mist now to the cold and cloudy to that now.😕

Oh well, plus ca change and all that!

IMG_1193.jpeg

• Like 1