Capri excursion

meduza

I've done both (ships excursion and 'on my own') both from Naples Port (not Sorrento) 

Its a lovely place - can be mobbed - but well worth a visit 

if not then try Ischia (on your own, possible from Naples on the local ferries) 

Thanks for answering. We will be in Sorrento and booked this tour from ship, but now I see a few negative reviews on this tour...

2 hours ago, meduza said:

Thanks for answering. We will be in Sorrento and booked this tour from ship, but now I see a few negative reviews on this tour...

We've also done the ship's tour to Capri (like @rog747 from Naples rather than Sorrento).  If you'd like to provide some details about the "negative" reviews you've seen, we can let you know whether that matches our experience? 

3 hours ago, meduza said:

We were in Sorrento independently a couple of years ago and planned to go to Capri. We didn't go as the forecast weather conditions were such that they could take us there but it was unlikely that they could bring us back until the next day.

If the negative reviews haven't involved missing the ship and needing to catch up with it at the next port call I would be inclined to ignore them.

1 hour ago, missson1967 said:

We've also done the ship's tour to Capri (like @rog747 from Naples rather than Sorrento).  If you'd like to provide some details about the "negative" reviews you've seen, we can let you know whether that matches our experience? 

Here is the screenshot of the negative reviews 

05F3CDB6-4958-4AB2-8D77-2EDFFADCEE1A.png

I'm not sure what Cunard can do about too many tourists in Capri ! If you go in peak season it will be busy, just like everywhere else in the Mediterranean. 

When are you sailing?

4 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I'm not sure what Cunard can do about too many tourists in Capri ! If you go in peak season it will be busy, just like everywhere else in the Mediterranean. 

When are you sailing?

My problem with so many of the guides on the tours is they try to impart too much information, often in badly accented English. A period of silence is often agreeable.

24 minutes ago, meduza said:

Here is the screenshot of the negative reviews 

05F3CDB6-4958-4AB2-8D77-2EDFFADCEE1A.png

Some of the comments in those reviews match our experience.  The guide we had was probably the poorest we've had on any excursion, and Capri was indeed "unbelievably busy and overcrowded" (but that's to be expected in the summer).  However, we didn't have an issue with the wait for the funicular, nor did we consider that the tour "didn't deliver at all".  Overall, given the spectacular views and scenery, we found the tour to Capri to be worth it, despite the crowds. 

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

When are you sailing?

We are departing from Trieste on August 26.

I have avoided responding to this because views are so subjective. I have stayed on Capri on a land trip and it was amazing after the day-trippers had left. On a subsequent visit, during a port of call, we took a day trip with one of the vendors on the pier. He took us to places we hadn’t been to (AnaCapri) and then to a local restaurant which was amazing. There were no crowds such as you would experience on an independent tour. He had us back to our ship in plenty of time and didn’t collect payment until it was over. It was very much worth the money (for the seven of us) and would do it again. Of course, your mileage may vary and would depend on your tolerance for risk. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1