**Live from the NCL Encore** July 21-28, 2024: Alaskan Cruise Itinerary

Today we had rented a car and were going to be driving up the South Klondike Highway with a bunch of stops (detailed in Murray's Guide).

However, we just received a text from our rental car agency as we were leaving the ship saying due to a mudslide yesterday the road is closed.

So we're now 2 for 2 with our excursions being cancelled. 

I'm the type to try and keep a positive mindset but this is really frustrating and disappointing. 

At this point I have no idea what we're going to do today... We may just stay on the ship but we came a long way to experience Alaska. 

My wife and kids are grabbing a bite while I try to process things and figure out what to do. 

😞

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

Today we had rented a car and were going to be driving up the South Klondike Highway with a bunch of stops (detailed in Murray's Guide).

However, we just received a text from our rental car agency as we were leaving the ship saying due to a mudslide yesterday the road is closed.

I'm the type to try and keep a positive mindset but this is really frustrating and disappointing. 

At this point I have no idea what we're going to do today... We may just stay on the ship but we came a long way to experience Alaska. 

My wife and kids are grabbing a bite while I try to process things and figure out what to do. 

😞

No,no! Don’t stay on the ship. There is plenty to do in Skagway. If you have a rental car you can drive as far as the road closure, depending on where it is. Drive out to Dyea. Lots to see there - check out start of the Chilkoot Trail and the Slide Cemetery. Take a hike around Yakutat Point. The easy trail starts right in town behind the airport - beautiful views. Explore the charming town - a couple of good museums, Days of 98 show. Head out the Gold Rush Cemetery and take the short easy hike to the waterfall. You have a lot of options. Never waste a day in Skagway on the ship! 

Edited by karatemom2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, karatemom2 said:

No,no! Don’t stay on the ship. There is plenty to do in Skagway. If you have a rental car you can drive as far as the road closure, depending on where it is, drive out to Dyea. Lots to see there - check out start of the Chilkoot Trail and the Slide Cemetery. Take a hike around Yakutsk Point. The easy trail starts right in town behind the airport - beautiful views. Explore the charming town - a couple of good museums, Days of 98 show. Head out the Gold Rush Cemetery and take the short easy hike to the waterfall. You have a lot of options. Never waste a day in Skagway on the ship! 

It looks like the closure is at 48km - looking to see what we can do before that. 

We wanted to do the Tutshi dog camp but that's at 78km.

I appreciate the pep talk, probably the best thing for me right now!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

😞

Sorry that you guys are having the luck that you are on excursions. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

😞

I just read a news story that the rockslide you mentioned blocked the Yukon railway and passengers from two cruise ships had to be bussed to Haines so they could be picked up by their ships...

41 minutes ago, jrt.mom said:

I just read a news story that the rockslide you mentioned blocked the Yukon railway and passengers from two cruise ships had to be bussed to Haines so they could be picked up by their ships...

https://www.chilkatvalleynews.com/2024/07/23/skagway-cruise-passengers-headed-to-haines-after-being-trapped-in-canada-by-a-landslide/

• Thanks 1

As mentioned earlier - our planned excursions for the day were interrupted for the 2nd consecutive day.

But with that said - we talked to the Canadian Customs agent for a couple minutes while crossing the border and he said a bunch of people got stuck on the wrong side of the mudslide last night and the cruise ships had to send tenders for them and they didn't make it back to the ship until 3-4am, so we're very grateful we didn't find ourselves in that situation.

With that said, we didn't get to experience much today as a result but we made the most of what we could.

The highway was closed at 48km which means really the only thing we were able to experience (aside from some overlooks) we the Yukon Suspension Bridge.

It wasn't a bad day, it just wasn't what were hoping for (2nd day in a row we missed out on dogsledding + Carcross, Emerald Lake, the world's smallest desert, and the trading post).

The upside?

A reason to come back while the kids are still young (and a $3k refund from the helicopter tour operator yesterday).

As an aside - we probably won't do Alaska again during July...it seems like the warm air leads to a lot more fog (and apparently mudslides as the ground softens). I'm thinking we'll try shoulder season next time around (April or September).

---

Note: When I share pictures of things, what do people like to see more? Us enjoying the moments or pictures without us in them so it's easier to imagine yourself doing these things?

I won't take offense either way, I'm genuinely curious.

---

Skagway: We're in port today with the Celebrity Solstice, Sapphire Princess, and HAL Nieuw Amsterdam.

FoggyMorning.thumb.jpg.6b2164947e081658b5c485eda4926b77.jpg

20240724_132350.thumb.jpg.12a71fcf921d6370840a470f1b747276.jpg

---

There were some breathtaking views along the entire route (just off the road), here are just a few:

Yukon2.thumb.jpg.c616704011e6d3170b490d4aff654069.jpg

Yukon3.thumb.jpg.59a8c219a9987e1c64691f37cab04361.jpg

---

Road Closed at 48km:

RoadClosed.thumb.jpg.740be0c634014dda0ec05dcdd6abb613.jpg

---

We Enjoyed the Yukon Suspension Bridge:

YukonSuspensionBridge.thumb.jpg.67938e8a68eba4e2902d1272d47ac7b3.jpg

HardatWork.thumb.jpg.8010718880a2e64fb739b1047fef9dd6.jpg

Yukon1.thumb.jpg.f85ed29bee7022d7f369e4e67d37ae52.jpg

20240724_121226.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Last night while I was doing a tour of the Encore Speedway + Laser Tag area up on Deck 18 I managed to get locked in.

After calling for help for a couple minutes, I ended up flashing back to my younger years and hopping the fence. 

If I didn't have it on video, I don't think my wife would have believed me 😅

---

Entrance to the Encore Speedway/Laser Tag area on Deck 18:

Speedway1.thumb.jpg.ee58c42ab7250afe2c2ff201a95e9160.jpg

---

Encore Speedway:

Speedway2.thumb.jpg.c446d1fabedc84f458201513ae1485aa.jpg

Speedway3.thumb.jpg.debb9be9d0457d0b9a5341dac03e15c9.jpg

Speedway4.thumb.jpg.128ae11130ff32638baaea10ca55a1ed.jpg

High Society to the Right/Plebeians to the Left (I'm to the left on this sailing):

Speedway5.thumb.jpg.d45cb675cd8f3fd61661191549779a95.jpg

---

Laser Tag:

LaserTag1.thumb.jpg.47e26f986f9a883fb2e1e5849b8ce1fc.jpg

LaserTag2.thumb.jpg.133d03021f2c654d03b872aadde3ad74.jpg

---

Where I was locked in (plus two other gates)...I ended up jumping the fence to the left:

LaserTag3.thumb.jpg.508619090cc0444ca2c0281bea491ca3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

After our helicopter + glacier dogsledding excursion was cancelled, we ended up taking a trolley to Mendenhall Glacier Visitor's Center and hiking to Nugget Falls.

We had some time to kill before the trolley picked us up so we explored downtown and we learned an important lesson...

Apparently bears don't like to climb up stairs anymore than we do:

(we've hiked all around the outdoors so far and the one bear we saw was in the middle of downtown Juneau...go figure)

image.thumb.png.c638280330cb10142086b56f010dc342.png

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Our trip to Mendenhall Glacier Visitor's Center + Hike to Nugget Falls was wet and cold but it was a good way to get in our steps (we finished with 21,000...not a record by any means but we worked off some of the ship food/drinks!).

---

We were greeted in Juneau by cold, wet, and foggy conditions:

Juneau2.thumb.jpg.0efdf9d5be0341a098267f514d725b1c.jpg

---

Getting off the ship in Juneau you must first board a shuttle to the town (or walk with 1-1/4 miles there down a busy road on your own):

Juneau1.thumb.jpg.b54dd3766e1c719786b110a2fb908a37.jpg

---

Mendenhall Glacier was awe inspiring (and also sad to see how little of the glacier is left...it will no longer be visible from the Visitor's Center by 2050):

NuggetFalls3.thumb.jpg.674278a52200a3c9a7bc63f877092231.jpg

image.png.384061235d9331d501a2f5dc0ff490c1.png

---

Is that Shaun White? or our awesome trolley driver Kip? The world may never know...

NuggetFalls2.thumb.jpg.453237911aa2f8ba7b0039814cbd30b4.jpg

---

Nugget Falls was quite the sight (and sound):

NuggetFalls6.thumb.jpg.33043764992a9517f0a91e54215a789c.jpg

NuggetFalls1.thumb.jpg.6a8c16b06ae231bd2135c610ca21d73b.jpg

---

The path there was flooded but some friendly travelers had built 3 paths to cross the flooding to get to the Falls (but my son still managed to step in the water):

NuggetFalls7.thumb.jpg.c636434dff70d217f87ccc5063f0d195.jpg

Nugget Falls 4.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I’m glad you are making the best of it. Your kids will just remember the things you did and not the things you didn’t do! (I know you know this- pep talk!) lol

And my two cents, I like seeing family pictures because I feel like it’s part of your story. I’m always happy to see pics of the ship areas too. 

we are doing this same cruise in September so I’m happy to learn from your experience plus then I get excited about my trip too. Part of what makes these boards so great!

hoping you have beautiful Glacier Bay weather!

• Thanks 1

We grabbed dinner at the Q Smokehouse (while being serenaded by the excellent County & Western, Lili Band).

I had the Pitmaster Platter, my wife just got a couple of sides (she's a vegetarian), and my kids ordered off the kids' menu.

I've read mixed reviews on the quality of the food at Q but my personal opinion is that it was dry and the BBQ sauces were not great.

With that said - the service was quite good and we really enjoyed the music.

So far - I have not been impressed with the food on NCL (we sail 8-10 times/year and have no loyalty to any specific cruise line so I don't think I'm biased but I apologize in advance if this offends any Norwegian loyalists reading!).

---

Lile Band performing a nearly private show (there were only 2 other tables):

Q1.thumb.jpg.4a593a2956b5edad2147da55a1ce3afd.jpg

---

Pitmaster Platter:

Q3.thumb.jpg.b5af9d9a5a6d4bca2300783e46b4a00d.jpg

---

Fried Okra + Mac 'n Cheese:

Q2.thumb.jpg.64ce4853af847f481cd8ad400eba4fa9.jpg

• Like 5

The ship is getting more full now (5:45pm local time) as people get back from their excursions in Skagway and I'm seated at the Atrium Bar on Deck 6.

I'm going to head back to the room but will have more to share soon as tonight we're going to try to walk-in to Le Bistro (up on Deck 17) without reservations...fingers crossed!

Note: When I share pictures of things, what do people like to see more? Us enjoying the moments or pictures without us in them so it's easier to imagine yourself doing these things?

I am so happy when you share pictures and take us along on your adventures. It is so meaningful that you share your family, love seeing you enjoying yourselves. So much more fun to see real people exploring and enjoying themselves. Thank for for taking the time out of your vacation to share live. 

• Thanks 1

One consideration with NCL, there are four pools onboard:

- Two on Deck 16, one which is kid-friendly and another that is adults-only 

- One for Vibe (adults-only and $250/person) 

- One for the Haven

---

Of those four, our kids are only allowed at one of them (and there's nothing indoors for them on an Alaskan cruise).

For some of you this may be a positive, but for a family like us, this is a pretty big negative. 

NCL has a lot of other things for kids, but it's surprising that they don't offer more for kids in terms of pools.

Random question for anybody following - I'm a creme brulee connoisseur, but I haven't found it anywhere onboard yet. 

I was sure Le Bistro was going to have it since it's a French restaurant, but I was wrong. 

Is it simply not offered on NCL?

So far I've checked in the below restaurants: 

- Le Bistro 

- Onda

- Q Smokehouse (didn't expect it here) 

- Food Republic 

- MDR

We grabbed dinner at the Q Smokehouse (while being serenaded by the excellent County & Western, Lili Band).

I had the Pitmaster Platter, my wife just got a couple of sides (she's a vegetarian), and my kids ordered off the kids' menu.

I've read mixed reviews on the quality of the food at Q but my personal opinion is that it was dry and the BBQ sauces were not great.

With that said - the service was quite good and we really enjoyed the music.

So far - I have not been impressed with the food on NCL (we sail 8-10 times/year and have no loyalty to any specific cruise line so I don't think I'm biased but I apologize in advance if this offends any Norwegian loyalists reading!).

---

Lile Band performing a nearly private show (there were only 2 other tables):

Q1.thumb.jpg.4a593a2956b5edad2147da55a1ce3afd.jpg

---

Pitmaster Platter:

Q3.thumb.jpg.b5af9d9a5a6d4bca2300783e46b4a00d.jpg

---

Fried Okra + Mac 'n Cheese:

Q2.thumb.jpg.64ce4853af847f481cd8ad400eba4fa9.jpg

I sail NCL a lot and agree that for the most part the food is nothing to write home about. Not bad, just not anything special. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

Random question for anybody following - I'm a creme brulee connoisseur, but I haven't found it anywhere onboard yet. 

I was sure Le Bistro was going to have it since it's a French restaurant, but I was wrong. 

Is it simply not offered on NCL?

So far I've checked in the below restaurants: 

- Le Bistro 

- Onda

- Q Smokehouse (didn't expect it here) 

- Food Republic 

- MDR

It’s on the Cagney’s menu and occasionally in the main dining room. 

Edited by zqvol
  • Like 1