Prinz Christian Sound Ice

21 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

t’s a beautiful day today

A  friend onboard with you said

We are moving at a snail’s pace and getting to admire the spectacular scenery.

And looking at the photos sent (and yours) the bow area was opened up for additional viewing spots, something we have also experienced on HAL ships in places like Greenland and Alaska. I do not know if captains on different cruiselines can also authorise it, but opening the bow area to passengers makes quite a difference and is much appreciated.

So pleased for all onboard that you made it(also into Qaqortoq, yesterday) Enjoy!.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The Captain and crew outdid themselves yesterday and today.  Last night, because of the beautiful weather, and long day, they took us down a fjord to see the ruins of Hvalsey Church.  This was not on the itinerary but they took advantage of the weather.   It was a diversion of about two hours total.  Then today, while cruising PCS, they took us down another fjord to see a glacier.  It reminded me of Margerie Glacier in Glacier Bay, Alaska.  And then as we were about to leave PCS, there was a huge iceberg in our path.  They carefully turned the ship so the bow pointed at the iceberg (still a safe distance away) so people could take pics and get a better idea of the sheer size of it.  

It was an amazing day of scenery.  Now we have rain and very rough seas.  Better now than during the scenic cruising!

Edited by Alberta Quilter
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Now we have rain and very rough seas.  Better now than during the scenic cruising!

Thank you for posting. I just now opened a message from a friend onboard with you, describing the poor weather and planning to stay seated as it isn't too great walking around. Just like you in your post above,  the message content praises the Captain for going above and beyond yesterday

2 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

It is very rough today!  I’m currently laying down on my bed.  Postponed lunch I’m the PG.  I took some meclizine; that seems to be helping.  Hope your friends are handling it better than I am.

i think "rough" is relatively normal on the crossing between Greenland and iceland.  You are only going one direction, ours were both r/t so we had that four times in total.  And one was also extremely foggy and the foghorn sounded throughout until it cleared.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Ours is a round trip cruise so we get to experience this again on the return to Greenland in about a week.  

I had forgotten that you would be returning in a few days time. Maybe be prepared for  similar weather, or you may be lucky. Could go either way.

Edited by edinburgher

Missed Prins Christian Sund on the Celebrity Eclipse today, August 12,  due to high winds and high seas. Winds were up to 65 mph last night.   Open decks are closed today.  Captain Nikolas and crew did a great job given these bad conditions.  Out of Qaqortoq yesterday, he did three 360 degree turns in front of the icebergs to give us all a great show.