Pacific Encounter 3 or 4-berth cabins

I have seen photos of 3/4 berth cabins with the 'extra' bed/s above one of the lower beds, with the appearance of a four-poster bed. Are there any cabins on the Pacific Encounter that have the extra bed/s hidden in the ceiling (like on the Coral Princess) or on a side wall (like the Sea/Sun/Dawn Princess)?

57 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I have seen photos of 3/4 berth cabins with the 'extra' bed/s above one of the lower beds, with the appearance of a four-poster bed. Are there any cabins on the Pacific Encounter that have the extra bed/s hidden in the ceiling (like on the Coral Princess) or on a side wall (like the Sea/Sun/Dawn Princess)?

Yes. You will need to suss out old Star Princess deck plans to compare with Pacific Encounter ones. The ones that were present in the Star Princess days are the good type, the retrofitted Encounter ones are the problem ones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ceeceeDee said:

Either way you can't swing a stunted, particularly obliging kitten!

Thanks for your comments Geoff. That is as I thought. My TA used to work for Princess and he seems very knowledgable. I think he will know which cabins were four-berth when the ship was the Star Princess but I might try researching the deck plans of the Star just to be sure.

My daughter would be 'swinging' a couple of very young children. Crowded - yes - but having four in the cabin is cost effective, particularly at the moment when the 3rd and 4th passenger go free.

We went on the Coral Princess with two balcony cabins. My daughter had her two youngest with her and her husband and I had the 10 year-old with me in the cabin next door.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Yes there are plenty of those type of quad cabins, which have the bunk beds either up against the wall or come down from the ceiling. Mum and I (as a twin) had one allocated to us and we were ever so thankful not to get the other types. On a disembark day I snuck into a few cabins and saw some of those cabins that used to be twin cabins as Star Princess and now are quads as Encounter and they are HORRIBLE. The cabins are already too small, putting in bunk beds make them even smaller. As Geoff said the only way to be sure not to get one of those bunk bed cabins is to try and find an old Star Princess deck plan and pick your cabin and tick no to uograde. If you get a hold of one of the old deck plans I'd love to see it.

My next Encounter cruise I was so determined not to get allocated one that I ticked NO TO UPGRADE and that was for a true twin INTERIOR. I'd prefer that than an ocean view or even balcony bunk bed. 

Edited by CDaze71
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, CDaze71 said:

Yes there are plenty of those type of quad cabins, which have the bunk beds either up against the wall or come down from the ceiling. Mum and I (as a twin) had one allocated to us and we were ever so thankful not to get the other types. On a disembark day I snuck into a few cabins and saw some of those cabins that used to be twin cabins as Star Princess and now are quads as Encounter and they are HORRIBLE. The cabins are already too small, putting in bunk beds make them even smaller. As Geoff said the only way to be sure not to get one of those bunk bed cabins is to try and find an old Star Princess deck plan and pick your cabin and tick no to uograde. If you get a hold of one of the old deck plans I'd love to see it.

My next Encounter cruise I was so determined not to get allocated one that I ticked NO TO UPGRADE and that was for a true twin INTERIOR. I'd prefer that than an ocean view or even balcony bunk bed. 

I found the deck plans of the Star Princess very easily on the internet. I will attach a link. I knew I had the correct ship (not the new Star P) by checking the gross tonnage and the passenger numbers. If you cant expand the plans shown below you can easily access it on the internet by asking for 'Deck plans Star Princess 2015'.

deckplans-01big.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CDaze71 said:

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/ships/Star-Princess-II#google_vignette

Hope this helps your research.

Edited by ceeceeDee
  • Thanks 1

I want to select cabins (on the Pacific Encounter) that have a built-in extra bed, and avoid the retro-fitted double deckers.

I have been comparing the deck plans of the old Star Princess with P&O's plans for the Pacific Encounter. I haven't looked at all the decks, but so far, I can't see any cabins on the Encounter with multiple beds that weren't shown that way on the Star P. However, I know there are some. It seems logical to me that cabins that were built with the extra beds would still have that configuration and wouldn't have the dreadful double-decker beds.

Does anyone know a particular cabin number that has the double deckers? My TA isn't any help in this regard.

54 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I want to select cabins (on the Pacific Encounter) that have a built-in extra bed, and avoid the retro-fitted double deckers.

I have been comparing the deck plans of the old Star Princess with P&O's plans for the Pacific Encounter. I haven't looked at all the decks, but so far, I can't see any cabins on the Encounter with multiple beds that weren't shown that way on the Star P. However, I know there are some. It seems logical to me that cabins that were built with the extra beds would still have that configuration and wouldn't have the dreadful double-decker beds.

Does anyone know a particular cabin number that has the double deckers? My TA isn't any help in this regard.

Aft on deck 12 is one area that has been retrofitted. Balconies on both sides (A7xx) on Star Princess were twin cabins. 127xx on Encounter are 4 berth double deckers.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Aft on deck 12 is one area that has been retrofitted. Balconies on both sides (A7xx) on Star Princess were twin cabins. 127xx on Encounter are 4 berth double deckers.

That's helpful. Maybe there are only a small number of these retro-fitted cabins. I am thinking of booking a cabin shown on both ship's deck plans as a 3-berth. That is all my son's family needs. It is highly unlikely that P&O would have messed around with a 3-berth cabin on the ship they inherited.

On a quick look at the deck plans, I see what you mean. The same has been done to the aft cabins on deck 11 and a lot of the cabins on deck 10 where the inter-connecting cabins have bunks in one of each pair.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1