Bringing beer onboard

A question. When we are doing a TA next spring I’d like to buy some beer in the US which can’t be bought in The Netherlands. You probably think that as a Dutchman buying beer in the US is pretty strange, but then you haven’t tasted Rolling Rock beer. Best beer imho !

Anyway , I know that bringing beer onboard is not allowed. Although at different ports on past cruises we bought some local beer and checked them at the alcohol point because they were gifts .

I would think I should be able to do the same at embarkation, but since they have you remove even a bottle of water, I guess bringing a few six packs past security with the intention of dropping em off at the alcohol checkpoint is next to impossible.

I welcome any advice. Maybe an email to Seattle would help ?

Thanks ! 🍻

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, rotjeknor said:

in the US which can’t be bought in The Netherlands. You probably think that as a Dutchman buying beer in the US is pretty strange, but then you haven’t tasted Rolling Rock beer. Best beer imho !

Our go to cheap beer for summer picnics until we found Yuengling  when I lived on the east coast. Had it many times. Only tastes good ice cold when it is 90 degrees outside. Your beers are way better than Rolling Rock. Rolling Rock was bought out by Anheuser-Busch and they discontinued the bottles. 

Edited by Charles4515

29 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Our go to cheap beer for summer picnics until we found Yuengling  when I lived on the east coast. Had it many times. Only tastes good ice cold when it is 90 degrees outside. Your beers are way better than Rolling Rock. Rolling Rock was bought out by Anheuser-Busch and they discontinued the bottles. 

I know it is isn’t as good when I first had in the late 70’s , but still….had bottles last year in Boston. 
Dutch beer in general is ok , I’m no Heineken fan, but you can’t argue about taste .

2 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

A question. When we are doing a TA next spring I’d like to buy some beer in the US which can’t be bought in The Netherlands. You probably think that as a Dutchman buying beer in the US is pretty strange, but then you haven’t tasted Rolling Rock beer. Best beer imho !

Anyway , I know that bringing beer onboard is not allowed. Although at different ports on past cruises we bought some local beer and checked them at the alcohol point because they were gifts .

I would think I should be able to do the same at embarkation, but since they have you remove even a bottle of water, I guess bringing a few six packs past security with the intention of dropping em off at the alcohol checkpoint is next to impossible.

I welcome any advice. Maybe an email to Seattle would help ?

Thanks ! 🍻

Purchasing alcohol in ports of call, and checking them upon re-boarding ship because they are gifts means that the ship will release them for pick up at the end of the cruise.

Bring alcohol onboard on embarkation, even if you say it's for a gift (for someone you're meeting in one of the ports?) I think is not an option.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

I know it is isn’t as good when I first had in the late 70’s , but still….had bottles last year in Boston. 
Dutch beer in general is ok , I’m no Heineken fan, but you can’t argue about taste .

Rolling Rock when it was decent was brewed in western Pennsylvania. After AB bought it they moved production to New Jersey sometime in the late oughts. It did not taste the same. Heineken sold in the US is brewed in the US. I am not a fan. The Heineken I had on draft in Amsterdam was way better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Rolling Rock when it was decent was brewed in western Pennsylvania. After AB bought it they moved production to New Jersey sometime in the late oughts. It did not taste the same. Heineken sold in the US is brewed in the US. I am not a fan. The Heineken I had on draft in Amsterdam was way better. 

It's all in the water!

• Like 4

I can't think of any beer from anywhere (especially the USA) that I would take the trouble of humping on board a cruise ship. Of the top of my head I can'r think of a Dutch beer I like, they tend to be too hoppy for me. There were several that I liked in Belgium but still wouldn't hump them to the ship. I used to enjoy Tuborg but then the moved production from Denmark to Turkey, now not so much.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The US Heineken is lager, the Dutch pilsner. That’s what makes it taste differently.

8 hours ago, Tradestock said:

You can bring as much as you can hold...in your belly.😂   Couldn't resist.  Have a great cruise.

Great comment….😁. Too bad 15 days is a bit long to hold it inside until I get home.

59 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I can't think of any beer from anywhere (especially the USA) that I would take the trouble of humping on board a cruise ship. Of the top of my head I can'r think of a Dutch beer I like, they tend to be too hoppy for me. There were several that I liked in Belgium but still wouldn't hump them to the ship. I used to enjoy Tuborg but then the moved production from Denmark to Turkey, now not so much.

Taste is personal….. which is a good thing. 

• Like 1