Prices drop once $1 deposit sale is over

I looked at a number of cruises over the last couple of days thinking we might take advantage of the $1 deposit sale. I didn’t book anything as I felt the prices were too high. I also checked on our October cruise (not in final payment yet) and it was also much higher than I’ve been seeing it lately.I checked the same cruises today and all are significantly lower. My October cruise is $1000 cad less per person for our category than it was yesterday, which is fine as that is close to what we are paying anyway.

It’s not surprising, but does still seem a strange marketing tactic to get people to book cruises by putting the price up. $1 deposit or not, it certainly deterred me from booking anything else during the “sale”.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

HAL allows people to re-fare anytime before final payment. Of course you may have to add additional deposit if you re-fare.  It is what it is. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sunviking90 said:

I looked at a number of cruises over the last couple of days thinking we might take advantage of the $1 deposit sale. I didn’t book anything as I felt the prices were too high. I also checked on our October cruise (not in final payment yet) and it was also much higher than I’ve been seeing it lately.I checked the same cruises today and all are significantly lower. My October cruise is $1000 cad less per person for our category than it was yesterday, which is fine as that is close to what we are paying anyway.

It’s not surprising, but does still seem a strange marketing tactic to get people to book cruises by putting the price up. $1 deposit or not, it certainly deterred me from booking anything else during the “sale”.

Pays to redo it 

• Like 1

We booked onboard last November during the free crew appreciation sale, and we’ve already repriced it recently and were able to keep that along with the OBC. 
Having said that, I still find it odd to hike prices for a $1 deposit sale. JMHO.

Booked a trip yesterday. 1 dollar deposit. I just checked, today cabin next door to booked, same category , same price. When will there be a price drop I will ping, "with our Low Price Guarantee, we'll ensure you get our best fare regardless of when you book." 

I will ping them if it goes down. Per HAL, 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ray4Fun said:

Booked a trip yesterday. 1 dollar deposit. I just checked, today cabin next door to booked, same category , same price. When will there be a price drop I will ping, "with our Low Price Guarantee, we'll ensure you get our best fare regardless of when you book." 

I will ping them if it goes down. Per HAL, 

I think there is more fine print on their "guarantee low price" as HAL looks at "price" as net value of what credits and promotions are offered as these may change if price goes down. When I've repriced they always had to calculate and compare both to see what difference is (its always worked out) but I also thought there was verbiage about HAL having the option to reprice or offer OBC as "they see comparable". 

• Like 2

I just re-checked. Now it is lower. $76.00 lower. With a $1,200 deposit required. Doing the math at current interest rates, I am way ahead. As a Sidebar I will ask for the difference if it get to say $200. All good. I am happy. For those heading to a cruise via flight today, God bless. 

• Like 3

While I did not book a cruise for myself under the $1.00 deposit I was checking prices on numerous sailings. All of them were with the early booking bonus. I have rechecked several and all of them were the same exact price as prior to the $1.00 deposit and during the $1.00 deposit. I do think it is possible that those not on the Early Booking Bonus/HIA Plus those may have dropped in price but probably not by much. There is just not any movement on price on those HIA Plus sailings at least not till they drop the Plus portion.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

While I did not book a cruise for myself under the $1.00 deposit I was checking prices on numerous sailings. All of them were with the early booking bonus. I have rechecked several and all of them were the same exact price as prior to the $1.00 deposit and during the $1.00 deposit. I do think it is possible that those not on the Early Booking Bonus/HIA Plus those may have dropped in price but probably not by much. There is just not any movement on price on those HIA Plus sailings at least not till they drop the Plus portion.

We don’t really drink, so we don’t do HIA, and most I was looking at were 4-8 months away without HIA. That may be the difference.

Some here have mentioned refaring, which we have already done once. At that time the TA we are using, said HAL said this could only be done once, or we would lose our onboard booking benefits. From what people have said here, it can be done multiple times. Is that indeed the case? Our final payment is in 2 weeks, and the price is a bit lower again. We had also booked under the free crew appreciation (no HIA). 

Edited by sunviking90

24 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

We don’t really drink, so we don’t do HIA, and most I was looking at were 4-8 months away without HIA. That may be the difference.

Some here have mentioned refaring, which we have already done once. At that time the TA we are using, said HAL said this could only be done once, or we would lose our onboard booking benefits. From what people have said here, it can be done multiple times. Is that indeed the case? Our final payment is in 2 weeks, and the price is a bit lower again. We had also booked under the free crew appreciation (no HIA). 

Once you rebook after an on board booking you will always lose the ship board credit given for the on board booking ...unless when you rebook there was extra shipboard credit then it could be a wash. It is not true that you can only rebook once if it is priori to final payment, you can rebook as many times as there might be a lower price but you must be booked with a refundable deposit and when you rebook the price may be lower but amenities included may be different and you need to weigh out the change of any SBC or if you had pre paid Crew Incentive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Ray4Fun said:

Refundable v Non-Refundable is that the point here? 

Exactly and @sunviking90 when you refare you could be choosing a nonrefundable deposit as the new sale price may require that.  I give my TA a  bullet point with all of my current perks remarking on the ones I absolutely want, those that are expendable and those that make no difference.  She shops the new fares with a tracker and alerts me when there is a potential re-faring opportunity.  Occasionally we have been able to keep perks from the old booking in exchange for removal of a perk on the new - this is rare 

• Like 1