wheelchair cabins

Do you have any particular cruise lines with outside balcony-accessible staterooms that you like?  We've been on Oceania Vista which has nice accessible balcony rooms.  So many ships have only inside accessible cabins and we prefer a balcony.  Looking for a cruise but do have our requirements. Thanks in advance.

Yes!! My sis and I just just sailed on Harmony of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) with a beautiful wheelchair-accessible balcony with our room. Easy navigating with my BIG power chair!image.thumb.jpeg.5c853165cc9f2106016bedae8375fc8b.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, juliet said:

Do you have any particular cruise lines with outside balcony-accessible staterooms that you like?  We've been on Oceania Vista which has nice accessible balcony rooms.  So many ships have only inside accessible cabins and we prefer a balcony.  Looking for a cruise but do have our requirements. Thanks in advance.

We have been on Holland America Koningsdam in a balcony cabin 4096 which had a huge accessible veranda.

The veranda is covered and was ideal for Alaska and would be great for a hot country too.20240522_103909.thumb.jpg.ba8b3795a19cd84814157acca57f4d38.jpg

20240518_161330.jpg

Edited by pukekolive
  • Thanks 1

This is odd,  because every cruise line I’ve sailed has hc balconies.  To assist in your search, go to cruisedeckplans.com. Choose cruise line, then ship. You will get the cabin categories in the left column.  If there are accessible cabins in a category, you will see Accessible info in the box.   Lick on that and it will list the cabins and whether they are ambulatory or fully accessible.  In this example, I chose Carnival Breeze.

5BAEAC1C-25AC-4AFF-8AC5-1BA7DD42A80D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The issue isn't lack of cabins, it's not booking quick enough. Most people that require an accessible cabin book extremely early to get their choice. The longer you wait, the less availability there is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

The issue isn't lack of cabins, it's not booking quick enough. Most people that require an accessible cabin book extremely early to get their choice. The longer you wait, the less availability there is.

Don't I know it.  It's really too bad, but that's what we have to do.  Just wanted to know what ships have balconies.  

hmmm.   We have never been on a ship or with a cruise line that did not have accessible balcony staterooms.   And they've all been very nice.   But if they are sold out, they may not be showing on websites since they would not be available.  

If you are on the cruise line's website, be sure when you do your search that you check the box next to "I need an accessible stateroom" (or something similar).   If there is no box to select for accessible staterooms, you may need to contact the cruise line directly. 

• Thanks 1

I had a real "treat" in a HA cabin on the Island Princess.  The HA cabins/balconies on Promenade Deck 7 aft are huge!

PCL remodeled the Island several years ago & used part of the wrap-around Promenade for new cabin space.  I haven't seen any of the regular cabins but the HA cabins  (PR702 - PR709) are BIG & that includes the covered (enclosed) balconies.

I was on an 18-day Repositioning cruise from FLL to S'hampton w/lots of sea days.  Many days were rainy/windy but the balcony was so deep, w/only the 'front' open, I was able to sit & read & be dry even in the rain.

LOVED it!

• Thanks 1

I've not needed an HA cabin as my scooter fits in the cabin doorway on conventional cabins.  I have looked at HA cabins, though, and I've found you really need to book way in advance, like 15-24 months, if you want an HA cabin.  I've found HA cabins in all categories to include suites and Haven cabins.  Sometimes you can call the cruise line and see if they can make one available for you, as sometimes people who don't require an HA cabin book them for the additional space without the additional cost.  I have heard of the major cruise lines bumping people out of HA cabins if they can't prove a requirement, but that's a touchy issue.

• Thanks 1