Quebec city restaurants

I’m staying in quebec city an additional day and will have time for additional meals. If anyone has recommendations please post. In particular i’m interested in tourtiere, crepes and poutine. Someone suggested sagamite, not sure if thats a good place. Also i believe they have some sort of maple sugar.

Late Sept 2023 we had a fun time and delicious food at La Buche (FWIW they even have some good gluten free choices - I have celiac disease.)  It is right in Old Quebec  49 Rue Saint-Louis.  Yes it's kinda touristy but that is the fun part - it is like an old sugar shack where you can sit at private tables or join in a long family-style trestle table with benches.  Historic building, food, service and atmosphere are good - they have 4.5 stars out of 5 with over 5000 Google reviews and over 2100 Tripadvisor reviews. https://restolabuche.com/  Lots of neat stuff to look at on the walls and definitely head downstairs to the washrooms, they are a gas!  Casual restaurant, not fancy dining... if you want a yummy fancier dining place we can suggest Restaurant Shiraz.  Very tasty Persian food, great atmosphere, lovely owners in upper Vieux Quebec.  https://restaurantshiraz.com/  We really enjoyed their flavourful menu.

One of our favorites in town is Le Continental right outside the Chateau Frontenac. Its very French and the specialize in tableside as well as flambe. Tableside caesar salad, flambe steaks and seafood, dover sole, tableside chateaubriand.

They do wonderful tableside flambe desserts: crepes suzette, bananas foster, cherries jubilee etc. 

Quite frankly, just walking the streets ISO a restaurant is part of the fun.  Rue St Jean is hopping.   But, Brasserie Les Mordus was my favorite in Old Quebec (and I was there 6 days and ate somewhere different every time), and it had multiple "elevated" poutines (as Gordon Ramsey likes to call it).  They had outdoor seating, which made it feel European, and I had this crazy seafood poutine, that you couldn't even tell was poutine until you got to the very bottom (that's where the fries were).  Brasserie Les Mordus is right around the corner from City Hall and across the street from a cathedral.  

We did eat breakfast at La Buche (which was fine), and I distinctly remember Aux Anciens Canadiens but did not eat there.  It has that pretty red storefront.  I think the prices sent me away. 

I meant to thank people for responding. My time in quebec city is shortened as catching the train to montreal but will have time for breakfast and lunch twice. I thought i'd get tourtiere at la buche for lunch one day (i love tourtiere) and mordus for poutine the other. I'm still thinking about breakfast. I'm considering sagamite which i heard of in another post. The flambe crepes at le continental sound cool and may have to eat dessert first one day. Lots of choices!

On 7/26/2024 at 2:04 PM, Qcsailor said:

For breakfast (or for lunch), i strongly suggest Le Buffet de l'Antiquaire on rue St-Paul.

We will be visiting Quebec two days in October, before the cruise leaves port.  Can you provide an idea on pricing?  I went to the website, but the menu appears to be pictures only.  No description of the dishes, or cost.  Thanks in advance.  

On 7/30/2024 at 2:47 PM, princeton123211 said:

Also keep in mind the US dollar goes pretty far right now there-- you get about $1.40 CAD for every USD you spend. 

Many thanks!

On 7/23/2024 at 4:02 PM, tetleytea said:

Quite frankly, just walking the streets ISO a restaurant is part of the fun.  Rue St Jean is hopping.   But, Brasserie Les Mordus was my favorite in Old Quebec (and I was there 6 days and ate somewhere different every time), and it had multiple "elevated" poutines (as Gordon Ramsey likes to call it).  They had outdoor seating, which made it feel European, and I had this crazy seafood poutine, that you couldn't even tell was poutine until you got to the very bottom (that's where the fries were).  Brasserie Les Mordus is right around the corner from City Hall and across the street from a cathedral.  

We did eat breakfast at La Buche (which was fine), and I distinctly remember Aux Anciens Canadiens but did not eat there.  It has that pretty red storefront.  I think the prices sent me away. 

So is poutine a finger food or fork food?

Asking for a friend 😁