Holland America Hotels in Rotterdam

I shall make remarks that will anger a lot of readers.

1.  I just completed my very first ever Holland America (HAL) cruise: Rotterdam, Northern Isles of Europe, July 6-20.

2. Fly into Amsterdam.  Stay at the Amsterdam Airport Ibis Hotel.  Take a taxi to the ship.

3.  Amsterdam is way better than Rotterdam.  Amsterdam Airport consistently has been ranked in the top ten in the world and I have used it for decades and in transit during the Plague years, with good connections to Heathrow Airport and other major airports; Rotterdam Airport from my research is a small quaint airport with invitational airline lounges and with flights to London City Airport and other small specialty airports, and I decided that I would leave it for another adventure.   Rotterdam is an industrial city; Amsterdam is a romantic city.  Rotterdam was completely flattened eighty years ago, and is almost totally modern buildings with a heavy emphasis on 1960's Brutalism archiecture; Amsterdam is mostly old buildings from 400 years ago, about three stories high, and slightly crooked and tilted due to old foundations, and are very interesting with tourist shops and tourist restaurants.  Rotterdam has flat wide sidewalks between tram lines and modern highrises; Amsterdam has quaint little sidewalks between interesting houses, shops, and cafes and tree and flower lined canals with pleasure boats.  Rotterdam has its defenders on the internet claiming that it's not second rate: Amsterdam was confidently promoted by he young pretty HAL crewmember at the excursions desk on the 12th Deck Crow's Nest--she said Amsterdam is much better to visit as its quaint canals are like Venice.

4.  Taxi would be about $200-250, according to my research on Rome2Rio.com.  Given that your wife is a person of determination, using a cane and not interested in buses or trains, then a taxi would be best.  I was thinking that you might rent a car, but that might not be practical to park it for the cruise duration.  I've taken taxis in Europe and they're great; but you still have to exercise normal precautions such as veriffying that it not an illegal taxi, etc.  I myself took the train from Amsterdam Airport to Rotterdam Centraal in downtown Rotterdam, and I walked the admttedly long walk of about 45 minutes with my roller bags from the train station to the cruise terminal.  (I'm a very experienced traveler; only cruises are new to me this year.)

5.  I flew British Airways (BA) through Heathrow to Amsterdam.  I've also flown KLM (KL) direct to Amsterdam.  Both are reputable airlines.  KL has an excellent lounge at the airport; BA has a good lounge there; but, not as good as what KL has.

6.  Status helps a lot, these days, more than when i first started traveling, years ago.  I only have 1-star Mariner status on HAL.  But I have Gold Status with BA, and Gold Status with ACCOR Hotels (which owns Ibis.)  So I was treated very well on BA and at Ibis.

7.  Whatever you choose, there will be pluses and minuses.  There is no one best answer.  I travel independently, I do some research, but no one tells me what to do.  Even if I have status, I may choose a different airline, or I may choose a backpacker hotel.  I'll take a taxi, or bus, or I'll choose to walk.  So whatever I do, I choose freedom.  I look at advice, and make my independent choice.  And part of the travel experience is knowing that things won't always go just right and yet be able to deal with errors with a positive attitude and keep moving forward.  So, let me know if you want more advice.  I had some amazing experiences on my very first HAL cruise, and am not shy about sharing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BigTeee said:

3.  Amsterdam is way better than Rotterdam.  Amsterdam Airport consistently has been ranked in the top ten in the world and I have used it for decades and in transit during

No one is suggesting to fly into Rotterdam.  Rotterdam is a great hub city to quickly get to The Hague, Delft, Gouda, Kinderdjik and beyond.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

No one is suggesting to fly into Rotterdam.  Rotterdam is a great hub city to quickly get to The Hague, Delft, Gouda, Kinderdjik and beyond.  

I actually looked into RTM for myself.  I was considering flying BA into Heathrow, taking the Heathrow Express into London, putting my bags into a train locker, touring the sites in downtown London, then taking my bags on the Underground Tube to LCY, and taking a BA flight from LCY to RTM, and then taking the bus or tram to Rotterdam Cruise Terminal.  LCY and RTM are very small airports, and neither have invite only airline lounges.  I was looking at all options from LHR, including taking Eurostar.  Eurostar looked very interesting.  I finally decided that flying from LHR to AMS and then taking the 25 minute train ride from AMS to Rotterdam Centraal was the best for me for this cruise.  Next year, I may decide differently.  I mean RTM looks ok, and Eurostar is on my bucket list.   If this passenger is not too experienced with flying to or in Europe, then a flight to AMS, and probably direct on KLM transatlantic, might be the best fit.

Regarding hotels, I'm thinking we will be using Nhow.  Does anyone know if there are any shops or restaurants near the Nhow?  Their breakfast is pretty expensive, I was hoping to find a lower cost meal nearby.

Also, I did ask my TA to inquire on a price for Holland America's hotel/transfer package.  I was told that for my July 2025 cruise it is already on waitlist status.

There's been so much great and helpful information here.  Thank you everyone!

15 minutes ago, DaisyRose said:

Regarding hotels, I'm thinking we will be using Nhow.  Does anyone know if there are any shops or restaurants near the Nhow?  Their breakfast is pretty expensive, I was hoping to find a lower cost meal nearby.

Also, I did ask my TA to inquire on a price for Holland America's hotel/transfer package.  I was told that for my July 2025 cruise it is already on waitlist status.

There's been so much great and helpful information here.  Thank you everyone!

There’s a small coffee shop across from the terminal, but it is not open as early as US ones. Seems like it didn’t open until 9am. You could get a pastry or something else (they had delicious yogurt parfaits) the day before and put it in your hotel room fridge. The breakfast at NHow was pricey but amazing!

If you don't mind a little walk in the morning I'd recommend a bakery across the river called Jan Bussing. Wonderful freshly baked items and very friendly staff. You would need to go across the Erasmus Bridge and then turn left into the neighborhood. Think it is on Westplein street. Maybe a 10 or 15 minute walk but definitely worth it.

Contrary to other posters we much prefer Rotterdam to Amsterdam. Tired of dealing with what was a beautiful old city that is now jammed with tourists and every deadbeat in Europe. Rotterdam is easy to get around and there are wonderfully easy day trips by tram and by water to interesting and much less crowded spots. Great place for lunch is the cafe on the point out in the suburb of Hiilgersberg. Easy to get there on the tram.

Not very atmospheric, but we stay at the Marriott hotel right next to the station in Rotterdam which allows us a ton of options for touring the area. 10 minute taxi to the pier. Lots more options for food than the area around the pier. Just our opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, BigTeee said:

1.  I just completed my very first ever Holland America (HAL) cruise: Rotterdam, Northern Isles of Europe, July 6-20.

2. Fly into Amsterdam.  Stay at the Amsterdam Airport Ibis Hotel.  Take a taxi to the ship.

3.  Amsterdam is way better than Rotterdam.  Amsterdam Airport consistently has been ranked in the top ten in the world and I have used it for decades and in transit during the Plague years, with good connections to Heathrow Airport and other major airports; Rotterdam Airport from my research is a small quaint airport with invitational airline lounges and with flights to London City Airport and other small specialty airports, and I decided that I would leave it for another adventure.   Rotterdam is an industrial city; Amsterdam is a romantic city.  Rotterdam was completely flattened eighty years ago, and is almost totally modern buildings with a heavy emphasis on 1960's Brutalism archiecture; Amsterdam is mostly old buildings from 400 years ago, about three stories high, and slightly crooked and tilted due to old foundations, and are very interesting with tourist shops and tourist restaurants.  Rotterdam has flat wide sidewalks between tram lines and modern highrises; Amsterdam has quaint little sidewalks between interesting houses, shops, and cafes and tree and flower lined canals with pleasure boats.  Rotterdam has its defenders on the internet claiming that it's not second rate: Amsterdam was confidently promoted by he young pretty HAL crewmember at the excursions desk on the 12th Deck Crow's Nest--she said Amsterdam is much better to visit as its quaint canals are like Venice.

4.  Taxi would be about $200-250, according to my research on Rome2Rio.com.  Given that your wife is a person of determination, using a cane and not interested in buses or trains, then a taxi would be best.  I was thinking that you might rent a car, but that might not be practical to park it for the cruise duration.  I've taken taxis in Europe and they're great; but you still have to exercise normal precautions such as veriffying that it not an illegal taxi, etc.  I myself took the train from Amsterdam Airport to Rotterdam Centraal in downtown Rotterdam, and I walked the admttedly long walk of about 45 minutes with my roller bags from the train station to the cruise terminal.  (I'm a very experienced traveler; only cruises are new to me this year.)

5.  I flew British Airways (BA) through Heathrow to Amsterdam.  I've also flown KLM (KL) direct to Amsterdam.  Both are reputable airlines.  KL has an excellent lounge at the airport; BA has a good lounge there; but, not as good as what KL has.

6.  Status helps a lot, these days, more than when i first started traveling, years ago.  I only have 1-star Mariner status on HAL.  But I have Gold Status with BA, and Gold Status with ACCOR Hotels (which owns Ibis.)  So I was treated very well on BA and at Ibis.

7.  Whatever you choose, there will be pluses and minuses.  There is no one best answer.  I travel independently, I do some research, but no one tells me what to do.  Even if I have status, I may choose a different airline, or I may choose a backpacker hotel.  I'll take a taxi, or bus, or I'll choose to walk.  So whatever I do, I choose freedom.  I look at advice, and make my independent choice.  And part of the travel experience is knowing that things won't always go just right and yet be able to deal with errors with a positive attitude and keep moving forward.  So, let me know if you want more advice.  I had some amazing experiences on my very first HAL cruise, and am not shy about sharing!

You certainly angered me ! Of course wether you prefer amsterdam over Rotterdam is a matter of personal taste. But do not say BS about Rotterdam : the city was not completely flattened on may 14 1940 . The center was heavily damaged by bombs and the firestorm that followed. Some  buildings remained and are still here. Lots of areas in Rotterdam are still pre war. You should explore those, Delfshaven for example with the Pilgrims Father’s church and the Voorhaven and Zakkendragershuisje which date back to the 1400’s .Although some rebuilding architecture can be considered Eastern European style brutalism , Rotterdam has an amazing amount of very special buildings , like the cube houses that attract a lot of tourist. All the modern buildings that grace the skyline of Rotterdam are one of the reasons my city is sometimes called Manhattan on the Maas.

if you prefer miles and miles of the same old stupid tourist traps, do stay in amsterdam ! 
Remarkably ,lots of passengers we met onboard in the past years were very happy to have stayed in Rotterdam pre of post cruise and enjoyed the authenticity of Rotterdam, her architecture, the people and all the sightseeing the city has to offer.

And about Rotterdam airport ,yes it’s small but very convenient. No long lines when flying in or out , very good connections to London and other European cities and of course into town. We used it  a number of times to fly to the US via London.

I really would invite you to return to Rotterdam and stay here with an open mind, and I can almost guarantee you will leave with a different opinion.

• Like 5

You are not wrong to tour Rotterdam.  My opinion is that the exceptional sites prove the rule.   Anyway, I did walk from Centraal Station to Cruise Port Terminal and back, and got an excellent pedestrian tour.  Friday night I walked from Stationsplein, along Kruisplein and Eendrachtsweg, and walked along a narrow sidewalk through many sidewalk nightclubs and by little residential apartments and little offices on my left side and the canal park on my right side.  Saturday morning I walked along Schiedamsedijk on a broad sidwalk by many modern shopping mall and highrises, and a pleasant modern shopping mall Stadhuisplein, Korte Lignbaan, and Schouwburgplein.  So basically, a flavor of the old on the way to the ship, and a flavor of the new on the way back from the ship.

I also can't help but compare to Germany.  When I visit Germany, most of Germany was flattened eighty years ago, and it's mostly modern architecture like Rotterdam, and when I want to visit old Germany, I visit the little villages along the Mosel river, to tour villages with historical buildings hundreds of years old like in downtown Amsterdam.

So yeah, I'm just helping out an American tourist.  And stepping on toes along the way.  Just trying to give a helpful American perspecxtive to anothe American tourist.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Navybikermom said:

There’s a small coffee shop across from the terminal, but it is not open as early as US ones. Seems like it didn’t open until 9am.

9:00 is just as well.  Everyone from the previous voyage is debarking until 10:30.  You are barred from entering.  You really can't enter the terminal to embark on your voyage until about 10:30.

On 7/25/2024 at 6:53 PM, BigTeee said:

I completely agree about how wonderful and romantic Amsterdam is. That said, how can you recommend staying out at the airport for a pre-cruise stay? We just returned home a few days ago from a 10-day Reykjavik-->Scotland-->Amsterdam cruise on Nieuw Statendam, with a post-cruise stay in an absolutely wonderful old 19th century hotel in the center of the old city: Hotel De L'Europe.  The location couldn't have been better, and the hotel was fabulous. But even if one doesn't want to spend that much on a hotel, there seemed to be plenty of budget-friendly options nearby, including an Ibis property. If one is going to visit Amsterdam, then I highly recommend staying in the old city.

• Thanks 1

On 7/25/2024 at 6:10 PM, VMax1700 said:

It does have an elevator ok, but it is small and slow and leaves long walks to some rooms which would include a small stairway.

The real problem for someone with walking difficulties is actually accessing the hotel lobby from ground level as the main entrance has a lot of steps.  It is necessary to go round the corner and use the accessible entrance at the hotel restaurant.

Agreed. I stayed at the Hotel New York last month, and there is essentially a full flight of stairs to the lobby entrance. (I learned the hard way about the accessible restaurant entrance after dragging my luggage up the stairs.) In my room, there were also three stairs separating the entrance/bathroom from the bedroom area (not sure all rooms are like this, but mine was a superior double harbor view.) Given the added walk to the accessible entrance, long walks from the elevator to the rooms, and potential for stairs inside the room, I would think twice about considering this hotel for anyone with mobility issues. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BigTeee said:

You are not wrong to tour Rotterdam.  My opinion is that the exceptional sites prove the rule.   Anyway, I did walk from Centraal Station to Cruise Port Terminal and back, and got an excellent pedestrian tour.  Friday night I walked from Stationsplein, along Kruisplein and Eendrachtsweg, and walked along a narrow sidewalk through many sidewalk nightclubs and by little residential apartments and little offices on my left side and the canal park on my right side.  Saturday morning I walked along Schiedamsedijk on a broad sidwalk by many modern shopping mall and highrises, and a pleasant modern shopping mall Stadhuisplein, Korte Lignbaan, and Schouwburgplein.  So basically, a flavor of the old on the way to the ship, and a flavor of the new on the way back from the ship.

I also can't help but compare to Germany.  When I visit Germany, most of Germany was flattened eighty years ago, and it's mostly modern architecture like Rotterdam, and when I want to visit old Germany, I visit the little villages along the Mosel river, to tour villages with historical buildings hundreds of years old like in downtown Amsterdam.

So yeah, I'm just helping out an American tourist.  And stepping on toes along the way.  Just trying to give a helpful American perspecxtive to anothe American tourist.

Compare it to whatever you like , but no city is as cool as Rotterdam … you can even surf in the center of town !IMG_6185.thumb.jpeg.fc09d948791e2be2cf92a61197e7dd42.jpegIMG_6184.thumb.jpeg.7a33caa7fdb8c7592e12e9b33bafb5d2.jpeg

Brutalistic, 60 ‘s architecture…🧐😁

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Infi said:

Agreed. I stayed at the Hotel New York last month, and there is essentially a full flight of stairs to the lobby entrance. (I learned the hard way about the accessible restaurant entrance after dragging my luggage up the stairs.) In my room, there were also three stairs separating the entrance/bathroom from the bedroom area (not sure all rooms are like this, but mine was a superior double harbor view.) Given the added walk to the accessible entrance, long walks from the elevator to the rooms, and potential for stairs inside the room, I would think twice about considering this hotel for anyone with mobility issues. 

There is lift for wheelchairs at the main entrance of the restaurant, from there you can get to the hotel lobby.

6 minutes ago, rotjeknor said:

There is lift for wheelchairs at the main entrance of the restaurant, from there you can get to the hotel lobby

Yes, I learned about the accessible entrance in the restaurant after staying there. I unfortunately didn't know it at check-in! 😅

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FLCruiser97 said:

Is the New York Hotel in Rotterdam close to restaurants and shops or is it just close to the port. 

It’s near a food hall that has some really nice restaurants in it, but I didn’t see any shops of other sorts on that section of the pier. 

10 hours ago, FLCruiser97 said:

Is the New York Hotel in Rotterdam close to restaurants and shops or is it just close to the port. 

https://en.rotterdam.info/areas-rotterdam/kop-van-zuid/     Maybe you will find something to your taste on this website, because there are quite a few restaurants etc at short walking distance.  And donot forget Hotel New York itself....  and find restaurants on the southern side of the river by typing "Deliplein".  Quite a few restaurants and nice square. From Hotel New York there is a very special footbridge to that side of the river (the bridge got a very very special name from Rotterdammers); very short walk to the Deliplein. 

14 hours ago, Navybikermom said:

It’s near a food hall that has some really nice restaurants in it, but I didn’t see any shops of other sorts on that section of the pier. 

Thanks for the info.

3 hours ago, MAVIP said:

https://en.rotterdam.info/areas-rotterdam/kop-van-zuid/     Maybe you will find something to your taste on this website, because there are quite a few restaurants etc at short walking distance.  And donot forget Hotel New York itself....  and find restaurants on the southern side of the river by typing "Deliplein".  Quite a few restaurants and nice square. From Hotel New York there is a very special footbridge to that side of the river (the bridge got a very very special name from Rotterdammers); very short walk to the Deliplein. 

Thank you. I will keep this in mind.

19 hours ago, FLCruiser97 said:

There is a small supermarket, Albert Heijn, on the pier . Across from the Foodhallen. Nearest stores, HEMA ( department store ) , a big Albert Heijn, several convenience stores, newsstand etc. are about a 20 minute walk away or two stops with the tram which stops at the end of the pier.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

There is a small supermarket, Albert Heijn, on the pier . Across from the Foodhallen. Nearest stores, HEMA ( department store ) , a big Albert Heijn, several convenience stores, newsstand etc. are about a 20 minute walk away or two stops with the tram which stops at the end of the pier.

I should have mentioned the street these stores are on : Laan op Zuid 

We just booked a cruise for July 2025 from Rotterdam.   Y’all have given me some great ideas on where to stay.  We were going to spend a few days in Amsterdam but since we have already been there we decided to spend our pre cruise in Rotterdam.   Thanks to everyone that took the time to share their insights.

• Like 3