2 days before our cruise from Sydney Aus.

Hi gang,

As mentioned in the title, we will have 2 days to see the sights. Arrival from LAX about 9am. Figured a half day sightseeing tour. Then a big tour the next day before the cruise. 

Is it better to stay near the port in Sydney? If so, please share recommendations. 

and if you have a tour company you recommend, would love to see what you recommend

hope I haven’t left anything out. I’m sure I’ll have other questions and will post here when I do. 

BTW, this trip, for the big 5 0. Thanks for your help

Do you know which cruise port you are embarking at? You can find that info at https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/cruise/sydney-cruise-schedule/

There are two cruise ports in much different sections of Sydney. 
The Ocean Passenger Terminal is at Circular Quay, right downtown near the Opera House and downtown hotels. The White Bay Cruise Terminal is in an industrial port. There are no hotels or any other tourist areas near White Bay. 
Our cruise is leaving from White Bay. We like staying downtown, so we have a hotel near a downtown train station and will taxi to White Bay. If we were leaving from the OPT, we would stay in a hotel close enough to walk to the ship on embarkation day.

We are looking at doing a DYI tour to the Blue Mountains on the day before embarkation day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pooh/tigger said:

Princess doesn't say which terminal. They just say Sydney

Did you follow the link?

What date are you sailing?  Which ship?

We stayed at the Hilton. Great location.

Did 2 very good/excellent tours.

One was Anderson's tours to the Blue Mountains. Small group ..very good.   

Also did a day tour led by a chef who also cooked for us. Chef's tour of hunter valley....this was superb. We even had a sushi making lesson.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2024 at 12:47 PM, pooh/tigger said:

Thanks Mrs f

Was this before your cruise? Thanks for sharing

This was before our cruise. We flew in a week early.  Got to see/hear the Sydney Opera Company perform Carmen on Cockatoo Island,  walked around the Rocks, went to the zoo. Had some great meals...Chinese and Indian were superb.  Loved riding the tram...it's free for us seniors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

Loved riding the tram...it's free for us seniors.

Sorry but no free 'trams' (I assume you're referring to the light rail) in Sydney. As far as I'm aware there are no seniors transport discounts for international visitors in Sydney.

Melbourne does have a free inner city tram zone. 

7 minutes ago, boeckli said:

Sorry but no free 'trams' (I assume you're referring to the light rail) in Sydney. As far as I'm aware there are no seniors transport discounts for international visitors in Sydney.

Melbourne does have a free inner city tram zone. 

Oops..you are correct...I was thinking of Prague.   But we did find the light rail inexpensive. Just had to remember to tap on and off

• Like 1

We like the Sydney Harbor Hotel so thanks for turning us on to that one. 

Now, is there a pub nearby the hotel where we could meet the locals, share stories and buy a couple rounds? Within walking distance please. 

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, pooh/tigger said:

We like the Sydney Harbor Hotel so thanks for turning us on to that one. 

Now, is there a pub nearby the hotel where we could meet the locals, share stories and buy a couple rounds? Within walking distance please. 

Are you referring to the "Sydney Harbour Hotel" or the Hilton as mentioned above? The Hilton is not actually classified as a "harbour" hotel. Something closer to or in the Rocks will give you access to the type of pub you are looking for. https://www.australiantraveller.com/nsw/sydney/pubs-in-the-rocks/

Edited by yarramar

17 hours ago, yarramar said:

Are you referring to the "Sydney Harbour Hotel" or the Hilton as mentioned above? The Hilton is not actually classified as a "harbour" hotel. Something closer to or in the Rocks will give you access to the type of pub you are looking for. https://www.australiantraveller.com/nsw/sydney/pubs-in-the-rocks/

The Sydney Harbour Hotel used to be Rydges and is still owned/run by the Rydges group of hotels and resorts. It is at 55 George Street, The Rocks just about opposite the intersection of George Street and Hickson Parade.

9 hours ago, possum52 said:

The Sydney Harbour Hotel used to be Rydges and is still owned/run by the Rydges group of hotels and resorts. It is at 55 George Street, The Rocks just about opposite the intersection of George Street and Hickson Parade.

There is also the "Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel" in Pitt St

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, pooh/tigger said:

Hi kids,

planning on taking a cab to manly beach. Planning to stay all day. 
Do they have taxis readily available for our return to our hotel?

Thank you

Sorry, why would you take a taxi to Manly when you can catch the ferry across much more easily? Or do you mean Bondi? The cost of a taxi to Manly would be between $55-60 according to the taxi website 13Cabs which operates in Sydney. The cost of the ferry return is $16.80.

You catch the ferry from Circular Quay which is close to the Overseas Passenger Terminal (OPT) - very easy walk from any of the hotels in the area.

Edited by possum52
  • Like 3

On 8/10/2024 at 10:31 PM, possum52 said:

Sorry, why would you take a taxi to Manly when you can catch the ferry across much more easily? Or do you mean Bondi? The cost of a taxi to Manly would be between $55-60 according to the taxi website 13Cabs which operates in Sydney. The cost of the ferry return is $16.80.

You catch the ferry from Circular Quay which is close to the Overseas Passenger Terminal (OPT) - very easy walk from any of the hotels in the area.

I would agree with Leigh about taking the ferry from Circular Quay to Manly Beach.  A nice ride and cute town to walk around in.  Very convenient.

• Like 1

Thank you so much. Yes, I meant Bondi but we changed to Manly one day and then take the ferry over to the zoo for the day. Would it be easy to go from the zoo over to Luna amusement park? 

Thank you again for your responses. They were helpful and had me researching more. 😃😃

12 hours ago, pooh/tigger said:

Thank you so much. Yes, I meant Bondi but we changed to Manly one day and then take the ferry over to the zoo for the day. Would it be easy to go from the zoo over to Luna amusement park? 

Thank you again for your responses. They were helpful and had me researching more. 😃😃

By ferry, you would need to come back to Circular Quay and change to a different ferry route.

The Luna Park ferry is F3 which is a five minute ride from Circular Quay and the zoo ferry is F2 from Circular Quay, a 12 minute ride. It might be worth looking at Captai Cook ferries as well.

Captain Cook Ferries

This link may help you plan your trip using the public ferries, trams and trains - 

Transport NSW Timetables

• Thanks 1