Omelets On Board (Seascape YC or otherwise)

MonsterJoe

Posted (edited)

Hey all,

I'm curious about food at breakfast. My young daughter and I are early risers, but we're not usually up and ready as a family to go out the door while breakfast is going on, so I have almost zero experience with this - well except the one time I left DW alone sleeping while I went up to eat Rollmops in the Dining Room to be silly.

I see pictures of lots of omelets, and I know you can order eggs how you like (with varying success) - is it possible to order(and receive) a proper French Omelet either in the DR or One Pool Buffet?

Also - I'm curious about what other specific food things people request.  I'm not trying to be fussy, I'm just curious. Once they learned of my wife's love of Risotto on one of our last cruises, they brought a variation of it out every night...and once they learned we were adventurous eaters, they would bring us extra things to try...so I'm familiar with that.

Also - will they attach a funnel to the OJ squeezer so we can do juice stands?

Edited by MonsterJoe

Proper French Omelet ... hum, not really.  Your omelet success will vary TREMENDOUSLY with who is cooking, especially at the one pool where they kind of just "wipe out" the omelet pan between uses so you might have bits and bobs of other things in your eggs (not kidding).  The ones in the DR tend to be a little overdone, IMO, but making a perfect omelet isn't as easy as one thinks.

We don't request other food specifically as there are 200+ other souls who think they are the bee's knees already and the kitchen is not set up for a la carte, a la minute cooking.  (I was onboard once when someone demanded a certain type of pasta noodle which they kitchen didn't have and they were not happy about it... crazy... you are literally on a boat in the ocean!)

Now as far as the OJ juice stand, that sound DELICIOUS.

I saw on youtube that the sea-class ships have made to order omelete stations in the buffet. Is that really a thing? I assumed that was only a premium line thing. I love made to order omelettes, so this would actually sway my decision to sail on a specific ship.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, kad56 said:

I saw on youtube that the sea-class ships have made to order omelete stations in the buffet. Is that really a thing? I assumed that was only a premium line thing. I love made to order omelettes, so this would actually sway my decision to sail on a specific ship.

Yes, that is true. Get there early if you don't want to wait an hour in line if you're in the main buffet!

and by the way - I like those, too. Eggs are my favorite protein...I just really love a good french omelet.  I make one of those (plain or fines herbes) for breakfast every morning with a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese. Yum.

...and to the comment about their difficulty - they're really not, and only take 90 seconds to make...the problem is, if you don't know the technique, you'll never be able to make one, because it is very specific.  Which I understand they may not be trained to do in those kitchens - which is fine.

Edited by MonsterJoe

2 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

You can order room service and specify exactly how you would like your omelette. Write down what you want since you are not limited to the check boxes that are on the door knob hanging thing.

You mean you can get stuff that's not on the door card? (specially asking for YC as they don't even have omelets listed from what I can remember)

8 minutes ago, Moparfiend said:

You mean you can get stuff that's not on the door card? (specially asking for YC as they don't even have omelets listed from what I can remember)

Yes. 

The more specific you are (with legible handwriting), the better your chance of success.

We've had custom omelettes delivered plenty of times. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MonsterJoe said:

is it possible to order(and receive) a proper French Omelet either in the DR or One Pool Buffet?

I am not sure about a 'proper French omelet' as I do not think I have ever had one but I have ordered omlete's for breakfast on many occasions.  I like mine with ham, cheese, onino, jalapeno, spinach, and tomoato's.  Sometimes jalapeno's presents a challenge for them but I still ask anyway.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I am not sure about a 'proper French omelet' as I do not think I have ever had one but I have ordered omlete's for breakfast on many occasions.  I like mine with ham, cheese, onino, jalapeno, spinach, and tomoato's.  Sometimes jalapeno's presents a challenge for them but I still ask anyway.  

Sounds delicious - I love those too - they are more commonly referred to as 'American' or 'Country' omelets.

A French Omelet is a different thing - soft and supple with a slightly custardy interior.  Very little color - most often just egg and maybe some herbs.

Classic French Omelette

How to make a perfect French omelet | The Seattle Times

Edited by MonsterJoe

8 hours ago, MonsterJoe said:

Sounds delicious - I love those too - they are more commonly referred to as 'American' or 'Country' omelets.

i love my eggs over easy but I must have my omelte's fully cooked.  Sorry but a French omlete does not sound appealing to me. 

• Like 1

Just now, DaKahuna said:

i love my eggs over easy but I must have my omelte's fully cooked.  Sorry but a French omlete does not sound appealing to me. 

Over Easy is my other 'go to' egg. ....if you like them like that, I would suggest they're not as off to you as I described them (I am not a creative writer - I'm a programmer!) - give them a shot maybe 🙂

By the way - I just read your February review of the Divina trip and I enjoyed your review a lot.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MonsterJoe said:

A French Omelet is a different thing - soft and supple with a slightly custardy interior.  Very little color - most often just egg and maybe some herbs.

Classic French Omelette

Is it raw in the middle or melted cheese?

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, MonsterJoe said:

Hey all,

I'm curious about food at breakfast. My young daughter and I are early risers, but we're not usually up and ready as a family to go out the door while breakfast is going on, so I have almost zero experience with this - well except the one time I left DW alone sleeping while I went up to eat Rollmops in the Dining Room to be silly.

I see pictures of lots of omelets, and I know you can order eggs how you like (with varying success) - is it possible to order(and receive) a proper French Omelet either in the DR or One Pool Buffet?

Also - I'm curious about what other specific food things people request.  I'm not trying to be fussy, I'm just curious. Once they learned of my wife's love of Risotto on one of our last cruises, they brought a variation of it out every night...and once they learned we were adventurous eaters, they would bring us extra things to try...so I'm familiar with that.

Also - will they attach a funnel to the OJ squeezer so we can do juice stands?

On all my MSC cruises I went to the pool buffet on the first day and tell them I want an egg white omelette with jalapeños and feta every morning.  They have always made sure that’s what I get.  Tell them what you want and they will try their best to do it.   By the way my best omelettes were on the Seascape with chef Joe at the One Pool.  

Edited by riredsox
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MonsterJoe said:

Classic French Omelette

Never heard of a French omelette before, but I don't think I'll be trying this.  It looks half cooked.  Almost as wet as the eggs served in the buffet