Where to stay in Boston to see the city and get to port

Hello! I am planning a trip for 12 in August of 2025 (yes, I plan early LOL). We are looking to spend 2-3 days in Boston ahead of a New England cruise but I am not sure where to stay. We would like to see several things around Boston itself (Nathanial Hall, the Cheers bar, the usual spots I'm sure!) but don't want to be too far from the cruise port. The group will range in age from 8 to 78 - most of us are pretty mobile but I would like to take it easy in regards to too much walking (so, no more than maybe 3-4 miles a day of walking). Any recommendations would be appreciated!

It's "Faneuil Hall".   Boston is compact, easy to walk and great transit, so you can stay almost anywhere to see the city.

Budget is important, and you won't see real hotel prices that far, out but if you can tell us your nightly budget per room we can make some suggestions

Posted (edited)

I was literally just coming to correct myself! 😅 I obviously misheard my parents when they were talking about stuff they wanted to do because when I did a search for "Nathanial Hall" to get an idea where it was, Faneuil is what I found 🫣 (So embarrassed!).

Nightly budget would probably be somewhere around $300? We don't want to be in motel 6 territory, but we aren't four seasons folks either. But it's more about convenience and safety for maybe 2 nights.  

Dad keeps talking about the hop-on/ hop-off trolleys - so I'm guessing he wants to be close to that area - not sure what that means in relation to Flynn port.

Edited by RedJessi

1 hour ago, RedJessi said:

Nightly budget would probably be somewhere around $300? We don't want to be in motel 6 territory, but we aren't four seasons folks either. But it's more about convenience and safety for maybe 2 nights.  

It's possible but to be honest $300 a night is on the low side for Boston-- it can be very expensive. 3-4 star hotels are regularly in the $400-600 range and top end like the Four Seasons are in the $900-1200 range a night. 

You can however find something for around $300 thats a nice place in a good location if you hit it right. One of my favorites in the city is the Fairmont Copley Plaza-- a grande dame hotel that can be in the $500 range but you can get it for the low $300s with some planning and luck. Location cant be beat for touring on foot and it's a Boston landmark in itself. 

1 hour ago, RedJessi said:

Dad keeps talking about the hop-on/ hop-off trolleys - so I'm guessing he wants to be close to that area - not sure what that means in relation to Flynn port.

The hop on hop offs go all over the city-- mainly shadowing something called the Freedom Trail which is a prescribed walk around the city that covers it's (mainly) colonial history. Frankly you don't need a bus tour of Boston-- it is so compact and easily walkable for all those except who have a physical impediment. 

I wouldn't stay in the Seaport area if you want to tour historic Boston-- it's full of mainly new developments with chain restaurants, luxury high rises, and corporate hotels. Just take an Uber to the pier the day you are departing. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RedJessi said:

Hello! I am planning a trip for 12 in August of 2025 (yes, I plan early LOL). We are looking to spend 2-3 days in Boston ahead of a New England cruise but I am not sure where to stay. We would like to see several things around Boston itself (Nathanial Hall, the Cheers bar, the usual spots I'm sure!) but don't want to be too far from the cruise port. The group will range in age from 8 to 78 - most of us are pretty mobile but I would like to take it easy in regards to too much walking (so, no more than maybe 3-4 miles a day of walking). Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Check out the Hilton (Boston Faneuil Hall).  It’s a few blocks from a trolley/hop-on, hop-off stop, which I recommend based on what you want to see. I’m not sure how far the cruise port would be, but this hotel is close to the harbor. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

If you've got 2-3 days then maybe downtown Boston isn't even the best for you.  You can rent a car and go outside the perimeter, where it's nicer.  Lexington and Concord (particularly Concord), which has the Paul Revere ride road and the Little Women Museum.  And then up the road to Salem, which is not quite in high season.  There is more to Salem than just witches.  To the west, in Springfield, is the Basketball Hall of Fame.  Those won't have nearly the walking that the Freedom Trail does (and besides, the actual Fenueil Hall is being renovated right now).  And the Boston Harbor cruise doesn't make as much sense, because you are immediately taking a big cruise thereafter.  Big difference between what you can do in Boston in a day vs. what you can do in 2-3 days. 

Edited by tetleytea
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, tetleytea said:

If you've got 2-3 days then maybe downtown Boston isn't even the best for you.  You can rent a car and go outside the perimeter, where it's nicer

Where it's nicer than what? I spend a lot of time these days in Boston and would much rather be downtown than Lexington, Concord, Quincy, or other suburbs. Way more to see, eat, drink, and walk around. Folks stay out there sometimes to save money but the OP should be able to find something reasonable in their budget. 

2-3 days is enough to see a decent amount of Boston proper at a leisurely pace but not really enough to go running around the countryside needlessly. While more walkable and compact than most Boston is still a large city. Lexington and Concord can be visited if you have a deep interest in the Revolutionary War but there is plenty of similar history in Boston itself. Salem and especially Springfield would only be worth it, in the context of a 2-3 day visit, if you were driving past anyway. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Downtown is not particularly nice, nor is Quincy.  Concord and Salem are different stories (note that there is a distinctly touristy part of Salem).  That part of Salem takes a little over a day, walking (and not as much of it as Freedom Trail).   Lexington and Concord is basically a day of in-and-out of your car, tracing Paul Revere's ride, and it's the same Revolutionary War stuff that you'd be seeing on Freedom Trail.  Plus you get the Little Women Museum, which has nothing to do with it, and downtown Concord is cute, with shops, restaurants, monuments, and such.  Springfield also has Dr. Seuss's house and a few other places, and they're mostly clumped together.  OP already said they want to stay close to port, but if they were willing to go a little further out, you can do nicer B&B's in Concord, Salem, on the beach around Gloucester, and such; and stay together as a family in one place, as opposed to in separate rooms in a big hotel.  

Edited by tetleytea

2 hours ago, tetleytea said:

Downtown is not particularly nice

When was the last time you were in downtown Boston? Easily one of the nicest large city downtowns in the US with its connection to the water, cleaner than a lot of cities, abundance of restaurants, historic sites, and extremely easy walkability. I'm genuinely curious what you're basing this on. 

Salem, Lexington, Concord are tiny suburban towns and Springfield is a backwater city thats over 2 hours drive from Boston where they're sailing from.  

Like its fine if you have an aversion to large cities but it's sort of misleading advice for someone considering a 1-2 night stay there ahead of a sailing from Boston. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

When was the last time you were in downtown Boston?

This month.  I was just there.  I just walked the Freedom Trail, and Fenueil Hall is closed (the marketplace is not.  The actual hall is). 

[Quote]ut it's sort of misleading advice for someone considering a 1-2 night stay there ahead of a sailing from Boston. [/Quote]

It's misleading to call it a 1-2 night stay when they just called it a 2-3 day stay.  You board in the morning.  That means a 2-3 day stay corresponds to a 2-3 night stay.

Edited by tetleytea

Just now, tetleytea said:

This month.  I was just there.

And what wasn't particularly nice?

1 minute ago, tetleytea said:

It's misleading to call it a 1-2 night stay when they just called it a 2-3 day stay.  You board in the morning.  That means a 2-3 day stay corresponds to a 2-3 night stay.

1 night has two corresponding days on either side of it and 2 nights has three days front, middie and on the end. 

Also 98% of all cruises board in the early to mid afternoon. Some piers may open at 10:30-11 but boarding doesn't usually begin that early for most folks and you certainly have the option of using that day for touring a city and boarding on the backend of the process. 

The port is so close to most of the nicer tourist areas like Copley, Beacon Hill, downtown, Back Bay, and the Seaport that you could absolutely tour in the morning and still comfortably board your ship in the afternoon. 

Downtown lodging is fine.   But expensive.  There are some cheaper options in Boston or in very nearby areas.  No need to stay in Quincy or Salem.  Read some of the other threads to see the places that are regularly recommended, like the Harborside Inn (watch out for windowless rooms) and options in the Seaport (where the Cruise Port is but not really close to tourist sites), or in East Boston or Revere.  MAKE SURE any place is close to subway transit.  And there are cheaper areas in Boston that are not convenient, attractive, or recommended, so do check before you book something based on price alone.

Also check the very active Boston forum on TripAdvisor for similar recommendations.  But don't expect to see real pricing until at least late September or October.  Do look now to get ideas of what August prices look like since they will be similar next year

50 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

I don't think price was the issue here-- it was the assertion that downtown Boston is "not particularly nice" by the previous poster. 

Totally agree.  I have no idea where that comment came from.

Boston is a great city, my 23 year old lives there for grad school and loves it, she’s a big NYC girl (we live 10 miles out) and actually likes Boston better. We made reservations here after getting suggestions from other BU parents, but ended up elsewhere due to a mix up on my end https://www.newburyguesthouse.com/offers?utm_source=triptease_attract&utm_medium=paid_search&utm_campaign=google_search&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAABfgVgV2ilWaLhHjKAAHXuhutYO71&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvNrFkvHChwMVCkf_AR2NWzYzEAAYASAAEgJPIPD_BwE

9 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Totally agree.  I have no idea where that comment came from.

Because it's not.   That's where it came from--it really is that simple.  Downtown Boston is an urban jungle, and the tourist traps can get crowded.  You sound awfully proud of Boston (or at least, the south side, which you actually did tour), and sorry if it bursts your bubble, but it's not all that.  

The day we walked the Freedom Trail, we walked 28,000 steps that day, and it was hot.  Walking the bridge to the Constitution and to Bunker Hill is some rigorous walking, you have to walk all the way across Boston Common to get to Cheers, and we found out Feneuil is closed the hard way.   A mobility-challenged party not accustomed to that level of activity would probably need to find other means of transportation (such as the trolley or figuring out the public bus system--which we did).   Thus if you have a 78-year-old in your party, there may be better fits for you out there than Freedom Trail--let alone when Feneuil is not even open.

If you have a party of 4 or more, you land in Logan, and you have more than a day, renting a car makes sense.  The area around the Harbor and the Freedom Trail are the tourist traps that the cruises go to (and you certainly would best avoid downtown Boston traffic in a car--unless you've driven Dominican, New Delhi, or Lagos, in which case...hats off to you).  August is a good time to do Salem.  The quality of sites on the Freedom Trail is no better than what you would stop at on the 2A or Lexington Road in Lexington/Concord--only up there, you won't have nearly the insanity or the walking that you would downtown.  Besides, Lexington has a tour trolley, too.  You're going to have a lot more greenery and pretty lakes, which is more in line with what an older demographic tends to like.   Indeed, you can tour Ralph Waldo Emerson's and Nathaniel Hawthorne's houses, who wrote pretty American poetry about precisely those landscapes.   Emerson is right across from the North Bridge (which you would know--if you ever actually did it).  Louisa Mae Alcott's Orchard House is right down the street from Emerson's (which--again--anyone who's actually done it would know).

Counting on being able to tour stuff on boarding day for the cruise itself is just not realistic.  You might be able to tour *A* site.  

The purpose of travel sites is to tell you where the overrated tourist traps are; and where the lesser-known, less crowded, but better sites are.  This is one such post.   Sorry that you are not the one who thought of it.

• Haha 1

Well, I lived in and around Boston for fifty years. It’s a major city. No major city can be thoroughly toured in a day, so that is an odd thing to mention.  I have never heard it called an Urban Jungle before, not sure what that means. It is easily walkable, from the pier to the Freedom Trail to Boston Garden, even to Fenway Park if that’s your goal. And the MBTA is cheap, clean, and runs to all these places.  Not in a day, but in four or five days. Plus amazing museums, if you have more time. And we haven’t mentioned the harbor and islands,

I love Lexington and Concord, but the density of attractions there is nothing like what you get on the Freedom Trail. You DO need a vehicle  to see them.  And Salem is great, once you get past the kitschy With tourist traps.

I don’t see any such traps mentioned in your post for Boston, and if Faneuil Hall is closed, well, that’s not 10% of the historic attractions in the city. 90% of visitors don’t even go there, they enjoy the shopping and food and entertainment at the adjacent Quincy Market, which has not been closed.  And yes, I worked there and I know the numbers.  I think you are confusing tourist “traps” with tourist “attractions”.  Fisherman’s Wharf and Plymouth Rock are tourist traps.  Not the Freedom Trail.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, tetleytea said:

Because it's not.   That's where it came from--it really is that simple.  Downtown Boston is an urban jungle, and the tourist traps can get crowded.  You sound awfully proud of Boston (or at least, the south side, which you actually did tour), and sorry if it bursts your bubble, but it's not all that.  

You are presenting your very narrow opinion as fact here which is not fair to other folks who read these threads for information. I think that's what we're taking umbrage with. It is perfectly fine if you are uncomfortable being in large cities-- I get it. But saying that one of the most historically significant cities in North America is a giant, unwalkable tourist trap is patently false. 

(and you certainly would best avoid downtown Boston traffic in a car--unless you've driven Dominican, New Delhi, or Lagos, in which case...hats off to you)

Comparing the traffic in Boston to that of India is preposterous hyperbole. But you bring up the good point that there is no need to rent a car to see Boston proper. It is much better done on foot. 

You're going to have a lot more greenery and pretty lakes, which is more in line with what an older demographic tends to like.   Indeed, you can tour Ralph Waldo Emerson's and Nathaniel Hawthorne's houses, who wrote pretty American poetry about precisely those landscapes.   Emerson is right across from the North Bridge (which you would know--if you ever actually did it).  Louisa Mae Alcott's Orchard House is right down the street from Emerson's (which--again--anyone who's actually done it would know).

You are making large assumptions about what people want to see and do based on your preferences. Most folks that come to Boston for a cruise have limited time are interested in seeing Boston and not taking day trips out into the countryside. 

I lived in Beacon Hill in Boston for a number of years, have been to all of these places you're describing and would never recommend someone with only 2-3 days in town to spend money renting a car to go out and see them unless they specifically asked about them. 

12 hours ago, tetleytea said:

The purpose of travel sites is to tell you where the overrated tourist traps are; and where the lesser-known, less crowded, but better sites are.  This is one such post.   Sorry that you are not the one who thought of it.

The purpose of travel is to learn and expand your horizons. This can be done in a dense, historic, urban environment or it can be done in the suburbs. To say one is superior to the other just because it has more people is silly and based only on personal opinion. 

4 hours ago, Nitemare said:

I think you are confusing tourist “traps” with tourist “attractions”.  Fisherman’s Wharf and Plymouth Rock are tourist traps.  Not the Freedom Trail.

Hear hear!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I booked my hotel for my September cruise in January. I chose the Seaport area because that had a hotel with a price I was comfortable with. Be sure to pick refundable!

last month I decided to check prices for any specials. My Seaport hotel had doubled in price. I did find a hotel in the Quincy Market area for about 50.00 more per night than my original booking. 

I was able to cancel original and book the new hotel.