More Zoom Questions

Posted (edited)

We went back to cruising last November with 2 back to night 4 night cruises on Independence. As Diamond members we each had 2 nights free Zoom on each part of the cruise so no need to buy a package. 

On our upcoming 8 night cruise we obviously won't have all 8 days covered by our Diamond level. Currently I can purchase a package for $21/day. I've seen on other discussions that if I purchase on board I would get a credit for the 2 gifted days of Zoom. It is almost a wash price wise based on 6 days on board vs 8 days prepay.  

In your collective CC wisdom do you think it will come down prior to our Dec 7 cruise?

Another question for the CC brain trust:  When it states one device, is that one at a time. Sometime I use my phone, other my laptop or tablet. Is it smart enough to know the difference? Oh, back in the day I always packed a laptop for work, now that I'm retired I'm considering cutting the tether and only bring my tablet. Yeah, making me shaky thinking about it. 

If my sister needs to check her emails can I use the hot spot on my phone for her to access her emails if I'm reading on my phone?

Edited by temple1

I assume you mean D!+.  I never know wnich way the price is going.  When you're comfortable do it.  If I'm buying on the ship I stretch the usage, not signing into a new 24 hrs late at night but waiting until the morning.  When we're about to use the last 24 hrs I then buy for the rest of the trip.

Yes, 1 device at a time.  Dh would let me know he needed it when he went to business center to print out his crossword puzzle.  When he was done, I'd sign back in when I needed it.

Of course your sister could borrow your login and kick you off!

44 minutes ago, temple1 said:

We went back to cruising last November with 2 back to night 4 night cruises on Independence. As Diamond members we each had 2 nights free Zoom on each part of the cruise so no need to buy a package. 

On our upcoming 8 night cruise we obviously won't have all 8 days covered by our Diamond level. Currently I can purchase a package for $21/day. I've seen on other discussions that if I purchase on board I would get a credit for the 2 gifted days of Zoom. It is almost a wash price wise based on 6 days on board vs 8 days prepay.  

In your collective CC wisdom do you think it will come down prior to our Dec 7 cruise?

Another question for the CC brain trust:  When it states one device, is that one at a time. Sometime I use my phone, other my laptop or tablet. Is it smart enough to know the difference? Oh, back in the day I always packed a laptop for work, now that I'm retired I'm considering cutting the tether and only bring my tablet. Yeah, making me shaky thinking about it. 

If my sister needs to check her emails can I use the hot spot on my phone for her to access her emails if I'm reading on my phone?

I don’t think the hotspot works on Voom. But you can log off and let her log on to check her emails, then log back off for you to login.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I don’t think the hotspot works on Voom. But you can log off and let her log on to check her emails, then log back off for you to login.

Wifi hotspot works on some newer Samsung Galaxy phones YMMV.  On iPhone it doesn't work.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

However we do it, it only cares that one devise is being used at a time as far as which devises are connected.

Then if my sister is checking her emails and I absolutely MUST check tennis scores, we may or may not be able to share my devise.  😁

My cell is a Galaxy S21.

Edited by temple1

2 minutes ago, temple1 said:

However we do it, it only cares that one devise is being used at a time?

Yep, one device connected to Voom at a time.  If sharing set up ground rules with the others sharing the login.  I tried it once with 2 teenagers and we spent the whole cruise kicking each other off the Voom.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, mil76 said:

Yep, one device connected to Voom at a time.  If sharing set up ground rules with the others sharing the login.  I tried it once with 2 teenagers and we spent the whole cruise kicking each other off the Voom.

I would never share with my great niece, I think she sleeps in text mode.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, temple1 said:

You are comparing to the on board price incorrectly - you can stretch the 24 Voom package across two days (likely sea days) and you can skip the first day as you will have land based data service till about dinner time. Once you factor that in, the break even is in favor of using your D discounts on board vs. buying ahead (unless you get some crazy discount like 50% off). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mil76 said:

We did this with a 1 person, 2 device plan, and it was fine, as long as the adults didn't try to get online. We had to kick them off during dinner, so we could check in with the house sitter and check emails since I booked the excursions. The eyerolls for them being booted for less than an hour a day was priceless. Previously I just refused to buy a package and they had to survive without internet access but they were younger.

• Like 1

It is slightly annoying to switch devices but not too bad.  As noted above, I stretch our free hours so that we don't use them while we are in the home port and have access to cellular data.  If a longer cruise, I will also plan around port activities to use outside wifi or otherwise try not to use wifi credits for long stretches where we are off the ship.