Bay of Funny extreme tides

Where does one need to go in St. John, New Brunswick to see the tides and walk on the ocean floor?  Is this something that happens in town and can be seen on a walking tour?  Can you go by taxi?  What about the reversing rapids?

Funny you should ask! Hopewell Rocks is the place to go but it is @90 miles to the east. And you would want to check the tide tables to be sure it is low tide when you are there so you can walk on the floor of the Bay of Fundy.

Probably a private tour would be the way to get there!

• Thanks 1

90 miles?  My Saint John (not St. John!) map shows Fallsview Park and the Reversing Rapids across the bay from the ship terminal; on the route of the HOHO bus circuit.

I have not yet found the charts for the time of low tide and high tide on the day we will be there in September.  There are such charts, which can be helpful in planning when to be there.

8 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

90 miles?  My Saint John (not St. John!) map shows Fallsview Park and the Reversing Rapids across the bay from the ship terminal; on the route of the HOHO bus circuit.

I have not yet found the charts for the time of low tide and high tide on the day we will be there in September.  There are such charts, which can be helpful in planning when to be there.

I found the tide times for our visit in October at this link https://www.discoversaintjohn.com/fundy-tide-watch

Ceester, thank you for the link.  I now have the times for our days there. (Good ones!)

doctoranna, we are planning to go to Fallsview Park, not far from Saint John port.  I'm not clear on whether one can walk down to the water (or non-water!) there; in our case we just have an interest in seeing the reversal. We are booked on the HOHO bus for the day, as we've been to Saint John several times, but have always spent our time on foot, exploring the city.

Re Hopewell Rocks:  I looked at the excursions listed on our September cruise. There is one that goes to Hopewell Rocks; it lasts 7 hours, and costs $169.  It says there is a lot of fairly challenging walking.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Ceester, thank you for the link.  I now have the times for our days there. (Good ones!)

doctoranna, we are planning to go to Fallsview Park, not far from Saint John port.  I'm not clear on whether one can walk down to the water (or non-water!) there; in our case we just have an interest in seeing the reversal. We are booked on the HOHO bus for the day, as we've been to Saint John several times, but have always spent our time on foot, exploring the city.

One of our party cannot handle walking more than half a mile.  We might just go to Fallsview Park.  Is there Uber or Lyft in town, or can we take a Taxi there?

Edited by doctoranna
typo

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

To see the real effect of the reversal you need to visit twice, 3 or 4 hours apart. 

6 hours ago, zqvol said:

To see the real effect of the reversal you need to visit twice, 3 or 4 hours apart. 

Yes. Fortunately, we were on a land vacay to NB and got to experience this at Hopewell Rocks.

7 minutes ago, cyntil8ing said:

You'll be able to note the difference by just looking at the ship. More than a deck 'disapperared' over the three hours between these photos.

escape-72.thumb.jpeg.299b32eceea345d7c31eb51c421eae1d.jpeg

escape-95.thumb.jpeg.9aa8479d52828eb7c7e9e7017ca7ec5b.jpeg

That is OK, but the really neat thing is to see the river flow one direction, and then a few hours later see it flowing the other direction.

We had tides like shown above on Juneau, but no river to see the effects. 

Even if you can't see the tides roll back in, seeing how low the water is a low tide is amazing!  This was in the town of Alma, NB just outside of Fundy National Park.

AA019343osrsyb.JPG

AA019345rsosyb.JPG